Ceton CableCard TV tuner with Mediaportal (2 Viewers)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Not even FTA channels?

Those should be working if BDA drivers are ok (and dont require any special tricks).

Any ideas as to why the tuners aren't even detected?

No clue, haven't been working at that area of code ever.

If we added support for the PBDA could tuners like this be [even partially] supported?

PBDA will help with the protected content, but it would require TsReader, TsWriter, EVR presenter... all the content / streamign handling to be done in closed source (and with protected process / video & audio paths). I cannot see that to happen :) PBDA could be still used if it would provide some real benefits for the FTA content (but it would be still quite big task to take it in use).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If we added support for the PBDA could tuners like this be [even partially] supported?

PBDA will help with the protected content, but it would require TsReader, TsWriter, EVR presenter... all the content / streamign handling to be done in closed source (and with protected process / video & audio paths). I cannot see that to happen :)
    PBDA could be still used if it would provide some real benefits for the FTA content (but it would be still quite big task to take it in use).

I didn't realise that Microsoft was able to verify that the whole decoding chain was locked down. I assumed they use some kind of handshaking that would have to be added to each component, however I was unsure whether they actually certified components as well. I know almost nothing about PBDA right now, but I think it should be on the list for TVE4 ;)

thattexaskid19

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2010
    So youre saying that even though Trev123 got his tuners detected, he would never have access to any premium/subscription content?

Seeing as Comcast (the mainstream supplier of cable TV today in the US) has begun encrypting all their channels, including the basic ones, this tuner represents the future of TV on HTPCs since it basically takes the place of a cable set top box.

And by DRM requirements I'm assuming you mean copy-protected channels and not the DRM requirements associated with putting a CableCARD tuner in a PC (bc those requirements have been dropped)..

EDIT: the only other things i can find within GraphStudio are some listings under:
    -------BDA Network Providers
    -------BDA Receiver Components
    -------UPnP Streaming Devices

ceotn.jpg

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So youre saying that even though Trev123 got his tuners detected, he would never have access to any premium/subscription content?

Very probably, yes. Certainly not without support from developers.

Seeing as Comcast (the mainstream supplier of cable TV today in the US) has begun encrypting all their channels, including the basic ones, this tuner represents the future of TV on HTPCs since it basically takes the place of a cable set top box.

And by DRM requirements I'm assuming you mean copy-protected channels and not the DRM requirements associated with putting a CableCARD tuner in a PC (bc those requirements have been dropped)..
    No, I did mean the the DRM requirements for putting a tuner in the PC. I could be wrong but I don't think they've been dropped entirely. They have been reduced a little... but not dropped. Content providers are forcing Microsoft and Cable providers to adhere to strict content protection requirements that effectively mean that these new tuners can only be supported on Windows 7 (and maybe Vista). Microsoft requires that the software adhere to the content protection flags regardless of whether a channel is encrypted, so the tuners can't just work in any old software.

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Try ForTheRecord "http://www.4therecord.eu/", maybe the Argus tuner/recorder used with this software works. ForTheRecord works well with MediaPortal.
    I'm to very interested in this becoming a working solution with MP, as soon as it works i will buy one of these cards.

thattexaskid19

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2010
    Try ForTheRecord "http://www.4therecord.eu/", maybe the Argus tuner/recorder used with this software works. ForTheRecord works well with MediaPortal.
    I'm to very interested in this becoming a working solution with MP, as soon as it works i will buy one of these cards.

i will try this as soon as i get back to my HTPC (im at home right now in another part of the country).

as i said, the tuner works perfectly in Media Center and i wouldnt change a thing about it.. this would be a huge improvement to mediaportal if we could get this working.

**in fact, if anyone can get this working, ill paypal you $100 the second you do get it working and then make sure i get it working on my computer!

slimmj0k3r

Portal Member
    December 28, 2008
    Home Country
    ^^ I will keep you posted on my progress, about to pickup my Ceton InfiniTV4 and install it on MP TV server + 4therecord.

Has your cable provider supplied you with a MS Cablecard?

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2009
    I have been hoping for some time now that this would work.

I bought an ATI Digital Cable Tuner awhile ago, switched to Windows Media Center simply because of this. Now Fios doesn't support the kind of cable card that the ATI DCT took and it is useless.

I went back to MediaPortal the second I read that the HDHomeRun would work with it...But I misread, I thought it was the HDHomeRun Prime, which is similar to the Ceton.

I really miss MediaPortal. So many positive things. What makes and breaks the whole HTPC is having a real tv tuner (all without a cable card are crap!). Hopefully someone can find a way to make this work!

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2009
    What do you think the chances are that a plugin could be made to just use the tv portion of windows media center?

It seems that mediaportal won't be able to run it natively, and honesty, if you live in the US there really isn't a better option for tv on a htpc.

slimmj0k3r

Portal Member
    December 28, 2008
    Home Country
    What do you think the chances are that a plugin could be made to just use the tv portion of windows media center?

It seems that mediaportal won't be able to run it natively, and honesty, if you live in the US there really isn't a better option for tv on a htpc.

SageTV has such a plugin which allows cable cards to work so I'm sure it is possible. Picking up my Ceton InfiniTV in a few weeks and if it doesn't work with Mediaportal+fortherecord then I'm going to have to go with SageTV unfortunately as I'm running multiple clients.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom