Controlling subtitles within MP (srt/sub/idx) (1 Viewer)

wlgspotter

Portal Pro
December 3, 2006
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
No need to use core.dll any more, the patch already in SVN, just use the latest version.

cpp2005:

I've actually just upgraded to RC1 and have the same problem - was wondering if your CORE.DLL would fix the problem. However, I'm not very keen/comfortable download the entire SVN as it might break something else. Was wondering whether can you just attached the complied core.dll here?

Thanks.

cpp2005

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2006
    Hi wlgspotter,
    I'm using latest SVN so I don't have it anymore,
    do you have problems with latest SVN version? If not I suggest you upgarding.

wlgspotter

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2006
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi wlgspotter,
    I'm using latest SVN so I don't have it anymore,
    do you have problems with latest SVN version? If not I suggest you upgarding.

Hi cpp2005:

I've tried the latest SVN (2007-Aug031) and had some problems with it not recognising Chinese character subtitle - it worked fine before on my system. However, I've traced back to some of your threads and found SVN 10580 dated July 05. Tried that one and it seemed to be working fine for me!

Thanks for your help anyway!

Persona

January 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi!

I´m looking for help to solve the situation with haali's splitter + vfilter + avi.

I´ve tried everything on my own and the most unique solution to allow me to control de subs (through vfilter) ir adding it as post proccessin but... the subtitles seem hardcoded (I cannot set'em out of the image as they are post-added).

I´ve gone through the mediaportal´s and doom9´s forums and nothing. Tried all the vfilter versions solutions... and no success. And the last thing was looking at the windows reg in case the haali´s compatibility mode hadn´t succeded but everything seem all right.:oops:

So... has anybody found a solution?

Thank you in advance.:D

Btw, I´m using the last stable release, no SVN.

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    In all honesty, the best solution I've found is to use mkvmerge to put your avi's and subs in the one mkv container, and use Haali to split them. It keeps everything in the one file and you can also use it to join the avi's if you get them split into 2 CD's, and it will merge the subtitle files correctly as well. It's what I do with any avi's with subs now, and it works with Mediaportal and my IMON remote.

In short, avi's are a primitive container - 1 audio and 1 video stream. Go with mp4 or mkv.

oh and make sure to turn "auto load vsfilter" on in Haali.

Goose

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi!

I´m looking for help to solve the situation with haali's splitter + vfilter + avi.

I´ve tried everything on my own and the most unique solution to allow me to control de subs (through vfilter) ir adding it as post proccessin but... the subtitles seem hardcoded (I cannot set'em out of the image as they are post-added).

I´ve gone through the mediaportal´s and doom9´s forums and nothing. Tried all the vfilter versions solutions... and no success. And the last thing was looking at the windows reg in case the haali´s compatibility mode hadn´t succeded but everything seem all right.:oops:

Hi Persona

I presume you are trying to play back embedded or external subs in an .avi. If this is the case my guide, which can be found here http://users.vic.chariot.net.au/~mitreski/ , should suffice. Pay special attention to the section where i detail how to remove ffdshow from any subtitle handling.

If you wish to follow the thread you can do so here https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/codec_guide-t30191.html?p=196552

If by chance i have misunderstood what you wish to do, just let me know and i will see what i can do.

Persona

January 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi!

Hi Persona

I presume you are trying to play back embedded or external subs in an .avi. If this is the case my guide, which can be found here http://users.vic.chariot.net.au/~mitreski/ , should suffice. Pay special attention to the section where i detail how to remove ffdshow from any subtitle handling.

If you wish to follow the thread you can do so here https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/codec_guide-t30191.html?p=196552

If by chance i have misunderstood what you wish to do, just let me know and i will see what i can do.

Thank you, I had everything up to date but I had a problem in my (win) registry. Now everything works properly. So it was a problem with my Pc not with these applications. But I don´t know why having Haali the vobsub is avoided and I must add it as a postproccess. Have you got a clue why this happens? Because it should be loaded just with the "auto load vsfilter" and no post proccess needed.

Btw, Why do you avoid vsfilter´s autoload version? If I choose the other non auto one it won´t detect any subtitle.

@globaldonkey:

About merging all my Avi´s in mkv's. Its not impossible but almost. I'd hace to merge tons of avis and copy it back into a cd/dvd. And I think that avi is good enough for some porpouses. I´m using mkv since some time ago but with mpeg4-avc. An Avi+srt subs was good enough with the propper player. MKV is much better, though.

Thank you anyway. This is a great forum for a good program.

Bye.

Goose

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Thank you, I had everything up to date but I had a problem in my (win) registry. Now everything works properly. So it was a problem with my Pc not with these applications. But I don´t know why having Haali the vobsub is avoided and I must add it as a postproccess. Have you got a clue why this happens? Because it should be loaded just with the "auto load vsfilter" and no post proccess needed.

To be honest you can pick whichever method you like. If you go the autoloading route then under the haali media splitter options you may need to check that under compatibility you enable autoload vsfilter. If none of these things work for you then i am afraid you have quite some issues. The real reason i say to add it into the mediaportal settings instead of relying on the autoloading version is that some people have problems with that version and the other way has yet to work for me.

capitalf

Portal Member
    January 17, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Enabling subtitles using VobSub

I was getting annoyed with having an issue playing .srt subtitles with a .mkv file but I did the following to resolve the issue.

Prerequisite:
    • VobSub installed with default settings. Shame on you if you do not just install everything using K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.

1. In MediaPortal Configuration, go to Movies.
    2. Click the Subtitles tab then click Show subtitles.
    3. Expand the Movies tree.
    4. Click Movie Post Processing.
    5. Under the Available filters section, double-click DirectVobSub (auto-loading version).

I think Show subtitles could be for something else (e.g., DVD subtitles) so I went on and enabled it. You do not need to make VobSub always load via the filter properties. I think this is what causes it to show up twice in the Activated filters section.

I also created a 'subtitles' folder within my movies folder so I can keep it tidy. VobSub searches this folder for subtitles by default. By default, you can also use your "L" key to turn subtitles on/off. I am looking on how to map "L" to a key on my ATI Remote Wonder II.

jesseblue

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2007
    Hm... I exactly followed Goose's description. But still the audio tracks are played at the same time. If I reinstall the Haali Matroska splitter and check "enable avi support" then I get the situation where the audio tracks work fine, but the changing subtitles won't work anymore (seems to be a conflict between vobsub and haali).

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Users who are viewing this thread