Crash when opening ACTORS list (1 Viewer)

Terra

Portal Pro
August 25, 2009
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hi there,

When I open the ACTORS view in MP TV series (Right Click -> Actors) MP crashes.
It's reproducable, please see logs attached.

thanks

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_10_05_19__23_32_crash_in_actors_view_mptv.zip
    509.8 KB
  • MediaPortalLogs_10_05_19__23_31_crash_in_actors_view_mptv.zip
    460.1 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    2019-05-10 23:32:02.693 [DEBG][78]: Unable to load Imagefile (corrupt?): C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs\MPTVSeriesBanners\Star Trek_ The Next Generation\actors/343014.jpg - Out of memory.

Create an account with TheTVdB and fix the corrupted image in question on their site to fix it for everybody, or replace it locally for the time being.

I've uploaded a batch script on the forum a while ago that will scan every image and re-save it with higher JPEG compression to reduce file-size. This indirectly would also solve your issue if it is able to read the file. If the image is severely corrupt then it might require manual steps.

Could also be that your harddisk has issues, such as corrupted sectors, in which case a chkdsk /f c: might be required, or more aggressive tools.

Debugging is fun, right :censored:

Terra

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    2019-05-10 23:32:02.693 [DEBG][78]: Unable to load Imagefile (corrupt?): C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs\MPTVSeriesBanners\Star Trek_ The Next Generation\actors/343014.jpg - Out of memory.

Create an account with TheTVdB and fix the corrupted image in question on their site to fix it for everybody, or replace it locally for the time being.

I checked that file and it seems ok, please see attached screenshot. My filesystem and hard disk are also ok.
    What I noticed is that the file create time is 2019-05-10 23:30:56 and the file modified time is 2019-05-10 23:32:05, that's about the time the last crash happened.
    Is it possible that the local scan was running and interfered or somehow?

If MP even reports that it cannot load the image and the image may is corrupt can't this exception be catched instead of crashing MP?

On a sidenote, MP is not crashing anymore today, I did not change any file manually it just works now o_O

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-15 um 22.00.11.png
      Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-15 um 22.00.11.png
      438.1 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    It is indeed possible to add millions of try-catches to intercept possibly mistakes, but this then pushes the problem further down, until all you end up with is a non-functional product that doesn't crash, but is useless anyway.

To properly fix it, it tends to therefore sometimes be smarter to have it crash hard, so that the right logs allow an explanation as to what happened.

Of course when external factors are an influence and things randomly decide to work again, then it becomes a small needle in a very large haystack to locate issue, reproduce it, attempt fix, verify it works, and solve the issue.

Keep an eye on it, and especially what you did leading up to the issue, because that tends to be a critical factor in my experience in understanding why it failed.

Users who are viewing this thread