Difference between Mediaportal 1 and 2 (1 Viewer)

jensbchr

August 5, 2015
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi,

I am new to Mediaportal.
What is the difference between Mediaportal version 1 and 2?
When will Mediaportal 2 become a officially released version and not a beta?

BR

Jensbchr

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Hi Jensbchr,

and welcome!

Have a look here : https://www.team-mediaportal.com/news/end-of-windows-media-center. There are a few hints and many links for you to read. Shortest available summary: MP1 stable, feature rich, maaaany plugins, but quite old architecture. MP2 no stable/final version yet, modern architecture, blazing fast. There is no ETA when it will be final.

The users here kind of split into two partys: the ones that are convinced that MP1 is currently the best solution that fits all their needs. The others ones who swear MP2 is already a fine piece of software and running in productive systems without any problems.

So its kind of up to you, what is most important for you. My personal opinion as a currently still MP1 user, but I did test MP2:
    • Skins: Advantage MP1 (more Skins)
    • Configuration: Advantage MP2 (everything not TV-related can be configured in GUI)
    • Speed/Reactiveness: Advantage MP2
    • Stability: I cannot judge. MP1 runs rock stable for me, but I didn't test MP2 much enough to judge. In theory MP2 should be better.
    • What is else important?

skorz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 19, 2011
    Deutschland
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP1 has external stream support as for smartphone (ampdroid for android and something for iphone too.) and for webstreaming (webmediaportal). this is my reason to stay with mp1.

thoath

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I often tried to use MP2, but always i said after this: No, it's not the system for me. The reason are the small ranges of configurations. A lot of things i cannot configure for instance:
    1.) Music-Filter-List, like in MP1
    2.) File Extension-Filters to include/exclude Files for music or pictures. It is not possible to add video-extensions in picture-range. I need it, because i have a lot of small videos in my diashows.
    It is not possible to exclude flac-extensions in music. I have a lot of titles in both extensions and i want to listen only the mp3-Version. and so on.
    3.) I cannot configure details for remote-unit
    There are also a lot of ather things.
    I also dont like the configuration in MP-Window. It is not user-friendly for me. I prefer for configuration an extra-application with normal GUI.
    I hope that MP2 add a lot of comfigurations otherwise i will stay MP1.
    Thomas

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Actually, there is no eta for beta.
    Because there will be no more Beta at all. MP2 is "stable" since one year now. Not all features are complete, but it is working properly.

The reason are the small ranges of configurations.
    That's by user demand. Most people out there are moaning about the MP1 configuration as "way to complicated, way to nerdy". But nevertheless there will be lot more options to configure as soon as the web- interface is ready.

It is not possible to add video-extensions in picture-range.
    This is possible, you only need to activate pictures and video when you add the source.

I also dont like the configuration in MP-Window.
    The often used options are best to place in GUI so you don't need to stop MP just to do a little configuration like refreshing a share or similar.. But seldom used options like (de-)activate IPv6 will be only in web- interface later.

I cannot configure details for remote-unit
    If you are using a MCE compatible remote you indeed can not configure something, but you don't have to imho. I never ever was in a need to change something here. For all other remotes (and even a MCE, if you want) you can configure as much as you like as you need to use IRSS then. There you will have tons and tons of options.

Music-Filter-List, like in MP1
    MP2 is not MP1 and never will be. So expecting something to be as in MP1 is not the best thing you may do. But the music part will get much more features in the next "official" and "stable" release.

thoath

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank for the fast answer Lehmden.
    I can understand the opinion to make the normal configuration more easy. But is good to hear that there comes an new web-interface to configure the advanced options. this is a good way. I'm curious about the web interface and advanced configuration options. I hope the web-interface comes early.
    I have tried to include in the settings for the image-media-source also videos. Unfortunately it does not work. My wmv-files are not included.
    Ciao

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For mixed type media sources you should try the "browse media" option. It shows all valid items in the folders.

Users who are viewing this thread