Difference between MediaPortal 1 and MediaPortal 2? (1 Viewer)

Biffi

Portal Pro
July 30, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
What is the difference between these two portals?

Last edited:

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    Mediaportal 1 has its design limitations, therefore Mediaportal 2 is under development.

Mediaportal 2 is still in a very early Alpha state - So I would not use it for everyday usage.

Probably wait a couple of years(!?), and Mediaportal 2 will probably be stable/feature full enough to use.

Patience is a virtue:)

Biffi

Portal Pro
    July 30, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Okay, then I' ll try to be patient...many thanks for the fast answer...design limitations..?...the design is good like it is, I think, so I actually do not have to be patient, I have what I want to here...thanks again.

jay.pee.emm

October 3, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Ok, its been two years since the last response. Is MediaPortal 2 ready for prime time? What are the differences between the two versions?

g3di

Portal Member
    October 3, 2014
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey Spachti
    I am a new user of mp and just joined the forum.I just installed mp and got rid of xbmc.
    It is a little difficult to work out what is going on in mp. An example of why this is, is the second link you posted above. the post is 7 years old and refers 2010 as in the future.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello g3di

It is a little difficult to work out what is going on in mp. An example of why this is, is the second link you posted above. the post is 7 years old and refers 2010 as in the future.
    The post may be 7 years old but what it says is still correct, especially if you're wanting a 1 sentence answer to the question "what is the difference between MP1 and MP2". They are completely different.

MediaPortal 2 has come a long way in the last year or 2. You can see from release news etc. that MP2 is up to the 4th alpha release. Alpha is often used to describe software that is a bit buggy and unstable, but still usable for some people. The next step up is beta. Then usually stable releases.

Nobody can tell you or anybody else whether MP2 is ready for "prime time", because everybody uses MP for different things and has different expectations about what they want it to be able to do. More specific questions like "is XYZ possible" can be answered. However, if you have general questions then better that you just install it and give it a spin. You can install MediaPortal 1 and 2 on the same PC, so it isn't like you have to decide to use one or the other at the very beginning.

g3di

Portal Member
    October 3, 2014
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Cheers for the explanation.
    I am really liking mp1. I will try mp2 as well as soon as the current screening of Frozen has finished!

Users who are viewing this thread