Direct3D could not be created after resume (1 Viewer)

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Thanks @Scythe42, set MP now to start on login via task scheduler and delay startup for 15 seconds. Lets see if it helps.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Just to report back here: triggered around 30 reboots of the system. No more Direct3D Errors anymore. So I guess its really solved with the task scheduler solution.

Reminder to myself: maybe decrease the delay?!

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Then it comes down to the usage of the usage of the Run Key here, that loads stuff to early. If Task Scheduler proves to solve this, then we have a solution for this one.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    I guess it would be good to have this confirmed by other users with this problem...

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Scythe42 : move "Run Mp at windows startup" RunKey code to TaskScheduler code ?

Instead of autostarting MP by the usage of the RunKey in the registry that was actually designed to run system components at startup that are not a service, there is an API to create entries in the Task Scheduler.

If the Task Scheduler works then a change to Configuration.exe needs to be made to create an entry there. I already have that code lying around from some Win8 experiments that needs to be finalized for general usage in MP.

But first it needs to be confirmed that Task Scheduler works properly where the registry key for autostarting stuff on boot up does not.

So everyone experiencing this issue needs to try out the Task Scheduler. We need to collect more information here.

Last edited:

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am using task scheduler with a 15 seconds delay on start up also and it works. No more freezing on start. Funny thing is that MePo was working fine since August 2011 with its different versions since then as a simple entry in the autostart folder and only now with the update to 1.4.0 it got complicated.

Cheers

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Funny thing is that MePo was working fine since August 2011 with its different versions since then as a simple entry in the autostart folder and only now with the update to 1.4.0 it got complicated.
    If you read the release news for MP 1.4 you would see that Scythe42 worked very hard to fix lots of issues related to D3D. Issues with standby/resume, display change... many many things. Have a read if you like:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/scythe42s-fixes-for-1-4-0.118345/

These changes are probably responsible for the change in behaviour that you have seen. Overall, the result of Scythe's changes is a vastly better MP experience. This little issue is easy to miss and easy to workaround. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom