Direct3D could not be created after resume (1 Viewer)

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I observed these issue now and then since at least version 1.0.2. Sometimes people where seeing "D3D is in Software Mode" and stuff like this or were complaining about extreme stuttering if they autostart MP right after bootup and various other messages depending on the system configuration. This is all the same root cause. With 1.4.0 certain things are just checked and an error message is shown (overlayed by the damn splash screen, so you cannot click ok) instead of blindly continue with something that cannot work.

It goes down to a Managed Direct X issue as already explained, which is now clear a more reports came in. Recent changes in general just made it more likely to occur more often on the same system configuration instead of just being random. It depends a bit on drivers/system if it comes up at all.

But looks like we know have a solution and will also be compliant with MS guidelines. If a delay, or how long it needs to be is a different story and depends on the system configuration. Again, it is Managed Direct X that causes the issue here by initializing values as soon as the runtime is loaded that cannot be reinitialized later.

I just couldn't fix everything with 1.4.0 in the D3D area. Will be done with the next update.

Also the issue of MDX is more prominent as MP loads faster - meaning the DLLs with the runtime itself.

Last edited:

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I did not mean to critizise anyone just wondering after such a long and trouble free period with MediaPortal. Of course all improvements are welcome. Also I read the release notes. But as I do not know anything about DirectX or Direct3D I could not deduce anything from those entries.

Walzing

Portal Pro
    November 15, 2008
    I agree with BlueMax - and switched back to MP 1.3
    I didn't had any stuttering Problems before - except one time were I had a Problem with LAV Filter.

After updating to MP 1.4 I had also these DirectX Errors - but I think I also had them after MP restart and not only after autostart MP.

cu
    Walzing

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Just to report back here: no more Direct3d errors at all. But to the guys who have this error: please confirm that with task scheduler its not happening any more. Only this way we have a chance to solve this bug.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    As an aside the use of task schedular may also help the 'thread priority' not being set at boot correctly. Those with dual core or multicore systems probably don't use thread priority settings other than normal but with a single core single cpu system it is a must.

I will try the schedular workaroud for the GUI problems at the weekend. Thanks.

rich110

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    still absolutely no more problems on startup at all!

Hi, I also have this problem and am going to try the Task Scheduler workaround. But, just to confirm, does this solution also work when MP is coming out of standby (not just after reboot)?

Thx

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    But, just to confirm, does this solution also work when MP is coming out of standby (not just after reboot)?
    Since MP isn't restarting after a resume: yes (the issue shouldn't exist after resume; for me it looked like that because I have scheduled reboots in the night, when I turned on MP the following day I saw that error and thought it was resume-related, which it wasn't)

rich110

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    But, just to confirm, does this solution also work when MP is coming out of standby (not just after reboot)?
    Since MP isn't restarting after a resume: yes (the issue shouldn't exist after resume; for me it looked like that because I have scheduled reboots in the night, when I turned on MP the following day I saw that error and thought it was resume-related, which it wasn't)

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.

TeMorituri

Portal Member
    April 19, 2009
    I am also seeing the directx hang after updating to 1.4 but am unable to get task scheduler to launch in a timely manner- can someone walk me through their steps on the task scheduler - I have no problem opening the scheduler and creating the task which should launch mediaportal but somewhere along the line I must be making a mistake in the parameters to initiate the task..I can restart Windows (7) and then I get a short period of hourglass/timeout but nothing launches :eek:

Specs Running Windows 7 64 bit - Mediaportal 1.4.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom