[DIY] Amblight project/guide - Hyperion - WS2801/ WS2812B / APA102 (2 Viewers)

Gradlock

Portal Member
September 26, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Raspbian on the RPi as I only use with for Hyperion but it can run Kodi if you want :)

Thanks Rick. Can I follow the same commands as in the link in my post above or will Hyperion install just using Hypercon? I like the option of using KODI but I am currently using MediaPortal since I have a decent amount of x265 material. If the Pi could play 10-bit x265 I would be a happy camper since it could keep more of my media center out of sight.

Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Small teaser of Hyperion.ng web interface:

HypNGTeaser.png

shoogashooks

October 9, 2016
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Is it possible to use Hyperion with both a WS2801 LED strip and an AtmoOrb? I've got a Pi running a strip of WS2801s and want to add one or more AtmoOrbs.

If it's possible, can you please help me understand how to setup the hyperion config?

Thanks!

ixdvc

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If it's possible, can you please help me understand how to setup the hyperion config?
    Yes, this is possible. In the past it was a little difficult but since Hyperion V1.03.0 you can start two Hyperion configs with only one service file. I have attached my two hyperion config files (for my APA102 strip and the AtmoOrb). You only have to activate forwarder in your main config (APA102 in my case):
    Code:
        "forwarder" :
        {
            "proto" : ["127.0.0.1:19447"],
            "json" : ["127.0.0.1:19446"]
        },
    Additionally you have to configure the ports accordingly in the second configuration file:
    Code:
        "jsonServer" :
        {
            "port" : 19446
        },
        "protoServer" :
        {
            "port" : 19447
        },
    Also you have to edit your hyperion service. I can only tell you how to do this for systemd because that is what I have on the latest OSMC. You have to edit
    Code:
    /etc/systemd/system/hyperion.service
    and append the path to your second configuration file to ExecStart:
    Code:
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/hyperiond /etc/hyperion/hyperion.config.json /etc/hyperion/hyperion.config2.json
    It might be necessary to use
    Code:
    sudo systemctl daemon-reload
    after that. Then just restart the service with
    Code:
    sudo systemctl restart hyperion.service
    (this might not be necessary after the previous command - I am not a linux guru :) - but does not hurt) or reboot the Pi and it should work.

Attachments

• hyperionconfig.zip
      8.6 KB
    Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    We have some basic docs for that with the Orbs and generic but with Hyperion 2.0 (ng) it will be much much easier to setup multi-device, for now the above example by @ixdvc is perfect but if you need more pointers here is the wiki entry for it:

https://hyperion-project.org/wiki/Controlling-Multiple-Devices

In doubt can always post it on the Hyperion project forum :)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @Rick164 -- or anybody else -- do you know of any HDCP 2.2 / 2160p / 4K AmbiLight solutions yet?

Hyperion support would be nice to allow any HDMI source, especially gaming console, but in worst case I'll settle for HTPC only.

I have a 10-zone LightPack clone in use for 2+ years with 9 LEDs per zone on a 55" Samsung driven direct via USB from the HTPC via AmbiBox, but going to upgrade to an LG 65UH8500 or 75UH8500 next month and will pretty much drive that puppy at 4K as often as possible.

Was initially just going to go with a pre-made solution such as the DreamScreen Xtreme, which uses 24 LED strips of 4 LEDs for 96 total and alike to Hyperion supports any HDMI source, but capped at 1080p/60Hz.

Anything available yet?

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @Rick164 -- or anybody else -- do you know of any HDCP 2.2 / 2160p / 4K AmbiLight solutions yet?

There was one in the works but got cancelled mostly due to high costs as HDCP requires an expensive license and the market with mediocre commericial solutions is pretty saturated, at the moment don't know of any but 4K HDMI splitter should still allow for basic live capture like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Ultra-Powered-Splitter-Model/dp/B00J4D3RTU

Haven't tried that setup yet however so can't confirm if that will work but that one does support deep color on both outputs so you don't lose any additional color info going towards TV :)
    Leds wise if you build it yourself it will cost less and have a lot more leds ( > 200) for better effect and upgrade-ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom