[DIY] Amblight project/guide - Hyperion - WS2801/ WS2812B / APA102 (2 Viewers)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @Gradlock, hopefully the new one will allow you to enjoy the ambient lights again.

Modern electronics appear to be made with a short expiration date on purpose sometimes, at least that is how it feels sometimes either indirect by making you desire to update to the new model, or direct via failure. I guess they figured out they don't make more money if you can keep using their products forever :)

Gradlock

Portal Member
    September 26, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    @Gradlock, hopefully the new one will allow you to enjoy the ambient lights again.

Modern electronics appear to be made with a short expiration date on purpose sometimes, at least that is how it feels sometimes either indirect by making you desire to update to the new model, or direct via failure. I guess they figured out they don't make more money if you can keep using their products forever :)

It's all about quantity over quality. :mad:.

Gradlock

Portal Member
    September 26, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Well, success! I got my new PSU and the lights are behaving normally. Still not very confortable due to the fact that the voltage is supposed to be 5V and the multimeter shows it going up to nearly 8v. At least now I know that an over-voltaged PSU can cause the lights to flicker and strobe. It may have been my fault since I got the wiring wrong the first time I was connecting it but it still output around 5.5v. The jump to nearly 15 happened last week or it may have been deteriorating over time. Got about a year out of it.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Not sure if you measured the output with LEDs connected, or disconnected, because a PSU without any load connected tends to show a much higher output.

Also try measuring the voltage at the very end of the strip, because with all the resistance of 5 meter of LED strip it might barely be 5V, so then the higher voltage is a good thing at the start of the strip and there is usually enough room in the specifications to allow for that. A full detailed spec-sheet would tell you that, or you can just enjoy the results :)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @MikeXu007 you can run any density you want, but from personal usage experience, 30 LEDs per meter, amounting to 130 LEDs on my 65" 4K TV (ended up cutting off 20 LEDs from 5m strip) put out a huge amount of light and density and it works well for 4K media.

It also doesn't get extreme then on power usage and respective wiring requirements.

I rely on AmbiBox myself to drive my setup so it works on Windows and MPC-BE as well, and it has maximum zone support of 300 LEDs, so I would barely be able to use a little over 2 meter of your density strip. Also preferred to use a sealed notebook alike power adapter so 60 LED/m was out as well due to power requirements.

Looking forward to your result though, welcome to the Ambient Light TV club :)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hey all. I recently brought new TV so back to hacking up some LEDs, it’s 65” so I need 4.5m strip of lights. I still have the rPi and Arduino which I can recycle from old setup.

Is rPi / Arduino still the preferred method with Hyperion? What are the best LEDs now, still WS2812B?

Thanks!

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    I have apa102 led and work perfectly connected on rpi spi pin.
    I prefer 4 wires led than 3, more easy to manage.
    Hey all. I recently brought new TV so back to hacking up some LEDs, it’s 65” so I need 4.5m strip of lights. I still have the rPi and Arduino which I can recycle from old setup.

Is rPi / Arduino still the preferred method with Hyperion? What are the best LEDs now, still WS2812B?

Thanks!

Envoyé de mon P01MA en utilisant Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom