DUGG TV guide grabber - Updated [02.06.06] (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusmann

Portal Pro
October 22, 2005
In response to a couple of posts..

When dugg auto-updates itself, it is necessary for it to shut down for a couple of seconds. I realize this can cause scheduling programs a headache, and if anybody knows of a solution (for example, having the schedule program run a batch file or something) I'd be pleased to hear it.

As for missing/changed data .. it is hard for the program to detect when data has changed, because to do so it would have to re-download everything to make a comparison with. This would defeat the whole purpose of the FTP, and in fact slow the process down.

For what it's worth....when you use the noftp command and re-grab the data it will automatically replace the data on the FTP site with your new grab. So subsequent users will enjoy the benefit of your efforts also.

I am working on a checksum for the index files. If my idea works properly it should be able to detect that "some" kind of change was made, and re-grab the data. If the re-grabbed data is larger in size than the original, it will replace it.

Wish me luck !

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Do webservers not have the ability to relay a 'last edited' value that you can compare to? (Similar to what proxies use) While the page is encypted when its download, as long as its the same encyption there shouldnt be a problem?

Noticed today some data was missing as nothing was appearing on ABC SA. Looking at the xml file there was data in there, so couldnt work it out. Ended up ninmsn has data for about 2 hours and the rest is empty.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    angusmann said:
    Wish me luck !
    I wish you luck.... :wink:

And I appreciate all the effort you have put into getting DUGG this far - it is wonderfull...... :D

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    angusmann said:
    In response to a couple of posts..
    When dugg auto-updates itself, it is necessary for it to shut down for a couple of seconds. I realize this can cause scheduling programs a headache, and if anybody knows of a solution (for example, having the schedule program run a batch file or something) I'd be pleased to hear it.

Hi Angusman,

It's a bit of a hack but you could use "Tasklist" in a batch file or VB script.
    FYI. This command lists running programs so you filter for dugg.exe, redirect the output to a text file and check the file. I noticed that the redirection only writes to the file if Tasklist returns a hit, i.e. dugg.exe is running.
    Therefore, you really only check that:
    If the file is greater then 0KB, dugg.exe is running, otherwise it isn't.
    You'd put the above in a loop for say 3-5 seconds so you could check if dugg.exe stops the restarts.
    (Putting on my TV chef hat):
    Here's one I prepared earlier:
    tasklist /NH /FI "IMAGENAME eq dugg.exe" > c:\Some_Temporary_File.txt

Hope this helps,

Nick Name

Cavalier

Portal Member
    June 8, 2006
    any ideas regarding "Missing program data (No duration) - skipping." ?

Tried noftp command, but the data remains that way from around Sunday onward....

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Check the ninemsn page and see if in fact it is missing. Looking at my region, Ninemsn is actually missing some data.

Cavalier

Portal Member
    June 8, 2006
    Checked that, the data is definitely there. I'll run the grabber later tonight and see if it updates...

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    NickName said:
    Keeping with the "cooking theme" - I am not a programmer but I can cook, and it looks like you have provided one of the ingredients here, but I think I need the whole recipe... :)

What I need is a .bat or VB script that I can launch from PVR Scheduler and that will not complete until dugg.exe has completed the grab of EPG data. Sometimes (when there is an "auto-update") dugg.exe will be terminated and then re-started a few seconds later, but this needs to be invisible to PVR Scheduler...

Do you have a "recipe" that I could try... :?:

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Taipan said:
    NickName said:
    Keeping with the "cooking theme" - I am not a programmer but I can cook, and it looks like you have provided one of the ingredients here, but I think I need the whole recipe... :)

What I need is a .bat or VB script that I can launch from PVR Scheduler and that will not complete until dugg.exe has completed the grab of EPG data. Sometimes (when there is an "auto-update") dugg.exe will be terminated and then re-started a few seconds later, but this needs to be invisible to PVR Scheduler...

Do you have a "recipe" that I could try... :?:
    I don't know.. give them an inch and they'll take a mile... :wink:
    No, I'm only kidding you. haha
    Yes, I know, I'm no comedian so I won't give up my day job...

Anyway, I'm actually working on a VBScript that will use the previously mentioned 'ingredient' although hopefully without the need for a temp file.
    FYI. I used to use BAT files but they are so limited in what they can do whereas a VBScript is pretty much a 'real' programming language but without the need for a compiler.

When I have something bug free and reliable, I'd be very happy to supply it to yourself and anybody else that wants a copy.
    :D

Regards,

Nick Name.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom