DVR-MS to MPG (2 Viewers)

arbiter

Portal Member
April 2, 2005
Found the problem. It was WMP10, not anything related to the Hauppauge card.

In Windows Media Player 10, go:
View -> Enhancements
I turned off the effect "SRS WOW Effects" and the clipping went away.

Hope this helps others with the same problems.

Dingo925

Portal Member
February 12, 2006
Problems Connecting Inputs and Outputs

How do I do the registration in Step #1? Where do I do the registration?

Each time I try to do Steps # 8 and 9, I receive the following message: "The filters cannot agree on a connection. Verify type compatibility of input pin and output pin. No combination of intermediate filters could be found to make the connection. (Return code:eek:x80040217)"

What am I doing wrong?

Is there any easy way to convert dvr-ms files to mpg files?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dingo925

Portal Member
February 12, 2006
dman_lfc said:
Hi,

Here is a quick guide to strip off the ASF wrapper MS use for their DVR-MS file format. This is used in MediaPortal for recording with MPEG-2 capture cards like the Hauppauge PVR-250 / 350 models.

What you need to have...
1. Graphedit http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/graphedit.html
2. Cyberlink DirectShow filters MPGMUX.AX & CLDUMP.AX (You'll have to find these :wink: )

What you need to do...
1. If not done already register the two filters listed above from the directory where they have been installed.
regsvr32.exe MPGMUX.AX
regsvr32.exe CLDUMP.AX
2. Start Graphedit and the click 'File' then 'Render Media File'
3. Choose the *.DVR-MS file you wish to make into a *.MPG equivalent.
This will automatically build a Graph ultimately providing an output to the Video Renderer and Default DirectSound Device.
4. Remove all filters except the *.DVR-MS output box.
5. Click on 'Graph' then 'Insert Filters' within Graph Edit.
6. Go to the 'Direct Show Filters' section and add 'Cyberlink MPEG Muxer' (MPGMUX.AX) to the Graph.
7. Now add the 'Cyberlink Dump Filter' (CLDUMP.AX) to the Graph and it will prompt for a filename give it a name with a .MPG extension. i.e. Test.mpg.
8. Leave the Filter addition window and connect the DVR Out-1 connector to Audio In on the 'Cyberlink MPEG Muxer' on the Graph.
9. Also connect the DVR Out-2 connector to Video In on the 'Cyberlink MPEG Muxer'
10. Next connect the Output pin from the 'Cyberlink MPEG Muxer' to the 'Cyberlink Dump Filter'
11. You are now ready to get your MPG equivalent file click on 'Graph' and then 'Play' (or click the green play button)
12. You'll notice a green progress indicator moving from left to right. Once complete you will have successfully dumped your MPG file in the same quality it was recorded without re-encoding!!!

Note: The MPG file should be slightly smaller the the original. Don't worry if they are not exactly the same size as we have stripped off the ASF guff.

You can do what you want with the MPEG file. i.e. Convert to AVI, Deinterlace it, Crop It, Resize it, Burn it to DVD/SVCD...etc etc

I will look into other methods of doing this and other codecs as well and post them here.

*** Edit ***

The Intervideo muxer works as well - the bonus is that it handles DVR-MS files with AC3 streams

Have Fun!

DMAN.

How do I do the registration in Step #1? Where do I do the registration?

Each time I try to do Steps # 8 and 9, I receive the following message: "The filters cannot agree on a connection. Verify type compatibility of input pin and output pin. No combination of intermediate filters could be found to make the connection. (Return code:eek:x80040217)"

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Dingo925 said:
    Yes, there is an easy way - just use DVRMSToolbox.

It is easy to set up and takes about 5 minutes to process a 1-hour recording...... :)

Also, you can use it to remove the ads - see here.

Dingo925

Portal Member
    February 12, 2006
    Taipan said:
    Dingo925 said:
    Yes, there is an easy way - just use DVRMSToolbox.

It is easy to set up and takes about 5 minutes to process a 1-hour recording...... :)

Also, you can use it to remove the ads - see here.

I can't get DVR-MS Toolbox to work. I keep getting the following error message:

InputFile=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Recorded TV\Collateral_MAX_30_01_2006_09_28_02.dvr-ms
    Processing actions, this may take some time!!
    Profile = dvrmstompg
    Output DVR-MS file as one MPEG stream
    Conversion Started: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Recorded TV\Collateral_MAX_30_01_2006_09_28_02.dvr-ms to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Recorded TV\Collateral.mpg
    0%
    Error in Do Work
    Duration = 00:00:00.4687500

I'm guessing that my settings are incorrect or that I don't have file that is needed.

ANY AND ALL HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS.

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    DVRMSToolbox can be used out of the box.
    You just need to have a dvr-ms file and be aware that you have enough space on your hdd for temp-file and output-file.
    You can change this using settings gui.
    Then you just have to select dvr-ms to mpeg conversion.

BTW, why don't you use conversion within MediaPortal? It's as fast as dvrmstoolbox and can be used with a remote?

Just go to TV->Recordings->compress and select mpeg compression.
    Or use the burner plugin that comes with MediaPortal.
    It can be used for mpeg conversion within MediaPortal, too.

Regards
    Ralph

Dingo925

Portal Member
    February 12, 2006
    Hi Ralph,

Thank you for your help.

I will check to make sure that I have enough space left on my hard drive. Since I have been recording a lot of programs, I think I may have run out of space. Do you think that the reason it won't go past 0% is that there isn't enough space?

I have a couple of additional questions. Do you think the encoder that I'm using with Windows Media Center might be incompatible with DVRMSToolbox or MediaPortal?

Do think the recording setting with Windows Media Center is set too high (e.g., the file size output is too large for DVRMSToolbox or MediaPortal)?

--Dingo

Dingo925

Portal Member
    February 12, 2006
    Ralph said:
    DVRMSToolbox can be used out of the box.
    You just need to have a dvr-ms file and be aware that you have enough space on your hdd for temp-file and output-file.
    You can change this using settings gui.
    Then you just have to select dvr-ms to mpeg conversion.

BTW, why don't you use conversion within MediaPortal? It's as fast as dvrmstoolbox and can be used with a remote?

Just go to TV->Recordings->compress and select mpeg compression.
    Or use the burner plugin that comes with MediaPortal.
    It can be used for mpeg conversion within MediaPortal, too.

Regards
    Ralph

I have a couple of additional questions.

First, I tried to use MediaPortal, but the DVR-MS files that I recorded using Windows Media Center did not show up in the listing found at TV->Recordings->compress. Is there a way to change the default folder (or to move my DVR-MS files) so that they appear in the list of programs that I can compress.

Second, how do I use the burner plugin that comes with MediaPortal?

Third, I confirmed that I have a lot of extra space on my HDD, but still could not get DVRMSToolbox to work. I'm followed the instructions. After about 1/2 second, the conversion process stops. What am I doing wrong?

Fourth, is there any other free program that I can easily use to convert DVR-MS files to MPG files?

Please help me. I desperate to get my DVR-MS files converted to MPG files.

Thank you very much in advance for any help that you or anyone else is able to provide.

--Dingo

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Under TV->Recordings->compress you will only find the recordings you did with MediaPortal. :cry:

Therefore I would recommend to use the burner plugin.
    Open the configuration.exe within the MediaPortal folder.
    Goto Plugins-Section and enable Burner plugin. There you can do same advanced settings if you like.
    Within Mediaportal goto Burner plugin->Video->Convert dvr-ms to mpeg
    Than you can select your file browsing kind of explorer and press enter.

DVRMSTollbox is quite easy to use for this kind of conversion.
    For further information you will need to go to thegreenbutton.com forum where dvrmstoolbox was created.

Regards
    Ralph

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom