DVR-MS to MPG (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

dwh said:
[Also, NigelB: judging from the screenshot you are also in the UK, and do not seem to have this problem. It would be interesting to know if your files are from analogue or digital transmissions. Thanks.

I am not physically in the UK but about 1000km south of there:) I am however recording from BSkyB satellite. I am actually using Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 & not Media Portal so my graph is likely different to yours.

Cheers

Nigel

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I record off Sky all the time - no problems here with MP.

DMAN

arbiter

Portal Member
    April 2, 2005
    I can play back the files fine in WMP10, but when I do this, the audio is all distorted and full of static.

Any idea what causes this?

I'm using an Hauppauge PVR150MCE on an Athlon 64 system.
    The files play flawlessly inside of MP.

A

Anonymous

I am not physically in the UK but about 1000km south of there:) I am however recording from BSkyB satellite. I am actually using Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 & not Media Portal so my graph is likely different to yours.

I'm actually using MCE2005 as well at the moment. I've discovered the problem is nothinhg to do with protected files, but with errors in the dvr-ms files -possibly time stamp errors or corrupted frames. I need to do some more work to find out what is causing these hiccups. Any pointers, anyone?

But meanwhile, how do a rescue my recordings? If these were mpeg files there are a number of utilities which would clean them up -but for dvr-ms?!

The Videoredo Plus Beta (brilliant programme) simply stalls at these blips when saving to mpeg, and truncates the output file at that point. By restarting the conversion a couple of frames later, I can convert the file in bits and then join them together, but it is a pain. Videoredo does have a 'Quickstream Fix' but unfortunately it does not fix these dvr-ms files.

donaldkennedy

Portal Member
    April 3, 2005
    Swansea
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Arbiter - I too had problems with files recorded and playing back fine in MP, which when I played them in Media Player, or when I converted them to MPEG or VOB, played back with what appeared to be static on the soundtrack. This only happened on recordings from my Sky Plus through the composite AV connections on my Hauppauge WinTV 150, not through recordings off RF (which I think somewhere else on the forum are described as too quiet depending on the driver)
    It turned out that in fact the recording volume control settings (which you can find in Control Panel) were incorrectly set - what sounded like static was in fact peaks on the audio signal which were causing distortion on playback. It seems that MP is far more forgiving of peaks in audio than other software (or indeed hardware as my DVD player made some horrible noises when I played converted files through it).

The solution I use is to playback using MP for most things, and, if I wish to convert to MPG or something else, I then have to reduce the volume of the audio track using TmpGenc 3.1 as part of re-encoding. Alternatively, you could experiment with the volume in your Recording Control - unfortunately the audio signal from Sky Plus via composite AV is so loud that this was not practical for me, but I have previously had success with this when importing from video cassette.

HTH

arbiter

Portal Member
    April 2, 2005
    I'm recording form Antenna, but I have noticed that the PVR150 is set to somewhere around 80% volume, and sounds a bit hotter then MP3 playback in Mediaportal.

I'm going to tone it down and see if newer recordings are playable in WMP10.

arbiter

Portal Member
    April 2, 2005
    Well, it seems the recording volume is fixed at 80% on the PVR-150MCE.
    I can't find anywhere in Media Portal or Windows where I can change it.

Any suggestions. I'm stumped.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Change recording volume (general)
    Trick for pvr 150/500:Change the general recording volume of the recordings.

For Driver versions after 23056

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hcwPP2\DriverData]

"8775Reg14"=dword:000000CF (Left channel, hex FF=+24dB, CF=0dB , C0=-7.5dB, 01=-103dB)

"8775Reg15"=dword:000000CF (Right channel.. although it is currently not necessary to set this key as the gain of left also applies to right.. but this might change in future driver releases)

DMAN

arbiter

Portal Member
    April 2, 2005
    Neither of these methods is working.
    It affects the volume in Hauppauge's bundled "WinTV" application, but doesn't change anything in Media Portal.

The audio clipping is present in all recordings. It also carries over if you use the Burner plugin's convert feature.

I'm stumped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom