ebay & MP (1 Viewer)

Pom

Portal Pro
August 10, 2006
Gloucester
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Has anyone thought of creating a dummy listing(s) on eBay to advertise the fact that MP is a free download? If the listings were made to stand out in amongst all those that really are selling it then i would expect the sales to start dropping!

I was just about ready to submit one of these listings yesterday when a sudden wave of concern came over me as i wondered whether one of these sellers could 'buy' my listing, get my address then come and burn my house down or something! So i didn't post it in the end, although i'm sure the above would never happen.....

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
Does anyody really care? At the prices I have seen MP selling for on ebay, I don't see how these sellers are even making enough money to cover their time. It seems like free advertising to me, and nothing for people to get worked up about.

jackelectronics

Portal Member
June 27, 2005
I am "re-opening" this thread with my own opionion. I felt like a browse on eBay and put Windows Media Center as the search term and came up with not only results of Windows XP Media Center itselt but sick-profitters "selling" copies of MediaPortal too.

I don't think they should be allowed without permission from MediaPortal authors and also, it's keyword spamming! I put a listing on eBay a few months back with the title Matrox P650 (Similar to Parhelia) and it got removed by eBay officials.

I have seen listings such as the below on eBay UK:
Media Center Portal Edition 2006 for Windows XP
Media Center Portal Edition 2007 for Windows XP

Pretty much a misleading title isn't it? There is no year version number on MP, just a version number like 0.2 and also should not say Media Center Portal Edition, just MediaPortal will do. I didn't get away with keyword spamming so why should they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

I'm using MP1 Ukraine ( as a side issue Trend antivirus says later versions are ransomwear ) and I've used MP for many years. Have I missed something all this time? Is there a way of marking recordings as favourites, and an easy way to display them? Thank you
I'm using MP1 Ukraine ( as a side issue Trend antivirus says later versions are ransomwear ) and I've used MP for many years. Have...
I'm using MP1 Ukraine ( as a side issue Trend antivirus says later versions are ransomwear ) and I've used MP for many years. Have...
Replies
Views
So not 100% sure if this is a MyTVSeries or FanArt issue, but the episode thumbnails always revert to the series default after restart. If you go to an episode and open the options and pick choose artwork then choose episode thumbnail it shows the correct thumbnail and says it is remote. Click on it and it goes local instantly and...
So not 100% sure if this is a MyTVSeries or FanArt issue, but the episode thumbnails always revert to the series default after...
So not 100% sure if this is a MyTVSeries or FanArt issue, but the episode thumbnails always revert to the series default after...
Replies
Views
restarting is supported but depends on the reason why it failed. As an external tool try JDownloader.org - Official Homepage
restarting is supported but depends on the reason why it failed. As an external tool try JDownloader.org - Official Homepage
Earlier this year I changed my internet service provider from a landline (where I was consistently overcharged), to a mains-powered...
Replies
Views
Hi CyberSimion Have now got MP 1.31 working ok Stopped Network Adaptor waking computer (Computer now not waking from sleep other than to record scheduled programs) Activated Power Scheduler and ticked all boxes under EPG tag (XmLTv guide now downloaded and installed as scheduled) I think my problem with MP 1.32 install re scheduled...
Hi CyberSimion Have now got MP 1.31 working ok Stopped Network Adaptor waking computer (Computer now not waking from sleep other...
I have just installed MP 2.4 I have set up for ICE TV XMTV guide Followed all instructions for set up ( as for MP 1 ) Guide...
Replies
Views
MP2.5 has the latest OnlineVideo version. But as it was stated, that error will be possibly fixed in a future version, it will have the same problem as you face now.
MP2.5 has the latest OnlineVideo version. But as it was stated, that error will be possibly fixed in a future version, it will have...
The iPlayer link in Onlinevideos is only showing the last program in the series. For example 'The Traitors' only shows the final...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom