EPG USA setup using xmltv. STICK THIS! (1 Viewer)

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    Sorry... I forgot to tell you that.... the file in the .xmltv. Glad to hear it!

hobbes487

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have been trying to get xmltv to work. I have been able to get it to download all of the programs for my lineup, but no matter what i try to do the times are all off. They are listed as starting 7 hrs earlier than they should. my config file says +0000, but when i run it, it says my timezone is -0700. do i need to do something the MP config?

I am in pacific daylight time. if anyone with the same could help that would be great.

keith2045

Portal Pro
    February 16, 2006
    Missouri
    Home Country
    hobbes487 said:
    I have been trying to get xmltv to work. I have been able to get it to download all of the programs for my lineup, but no matter what i try to do the times are all off. They are listed as starting 7 hrs earlier than they should. my config file says +0000, but when i run it, it says my timezone is -0700. do i need to do something the MP config?

I am in pacific daylight time. if anyone with the same could help that would be great.

Did you ever solve this? I'm having the same problem, only mine are showing 1 hour early.

chili

Portal Pro
    September 20, 2004
    somewhere in the bowels of Texas
    mzemina said:

uhh, yea "this person" has read every post on epg. Most are as confused as "this person" is.

btw, I accidentally got i right... but it should NOT have to be a guessing game and an on and off 2 day waste of time to get a correctly timed tv guide within a pvr app. :)

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    A few of us have installed a plugin (that will be publicly released shortly) that takes care of all this zap2it/xmltv/powescheduler/.bat file/timezone guessing nonsense.

Basically: Enter your username, Enter your password, and you are done. It does everything but renew your zap2it subscription every 3 months. It runs in the background. You never have to mess with it. It's great. Bradsjm is God.

If you feel left out, then you should hang around in the IRC chat and help out testing! :evil:

chili

Portal Pro
    September 20, 2004
    somewhere in the bowels of Texas
    If you give me a link I would be happy to test it.

I used to hang in the channel while @work but lately it has denied me access saying something about being on a blacklist... I am on a corporate network who's servers are located in Calgary. I mentioned it once in the website forum but never got any reply.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=13954

whoops, looks like I did but it doesn't help. I'm not going to IT and telling them to clean up their act so I can chat :shock:

bradsjm

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2005
    New York City, USA
    Home Country
    Well, now the cat is out of the bag ;) It slices, it dices, it... oh wait.. sorry...

Seriously, the first non-private release for beta testing should be later this week. This first version has no GUI, just basic config in the configuration application and for most US/Canada Zap2it users with an always-on Internet connection that should be fine since you will just do that and forget about it.

It gives you:
    • Automatic background downloads (as long as Media Portal is running or when you next run MP if it wasn't running) at times set by Zap2it for best server load balancing
      Incremental downloads - Only downloads new programs that aren't in your database to minimize bandwidth and Zap2it server loading
      Compressed transfer to minimize bandwidth and Zap2it server loading
      Automagic mapping of channels when possible (including ATSC support)
      Notifies you starting 7 days in advance when your subscription needs to be renewed
      No messing with timezones, if your system date and time is set correctly, things should "just work"
      Ability to specify how you want channel names formatted, e.g. 45 WABC or just WABC or WABC 45 or etc.)
      Provides additional details on the program description including:
      - Repeat flag (Repeat)
      - HDTV flag (HDTV)
      - Dolby Digital (Dolby Digital)
      - Parental Advisories (Violence, Nudity, etc.)
    Why is there a focus on Zap2it server loading? Well, at one point the load was so bad in Zap2it that they restricted downloads to only 3 days of guide data. The MythTV developers changed their code to be "nicer" (doing the above too) and eventually we got the 13 days back :)

There will be a GUI plugin screen for it where you can check status, force an update and a few other cool features like being able to change your Zap2it lineup without going to the web site all as a second release.

My goal is to make sure we have a Media Portal that competes with the "other" guys :)

This plugin is only for people who want Zap2it as their ONLY provider of EPG information. If you want a more general and flexible solution, you should look to WebEPG. Some of this code may also make its way into WebEPG in the future too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom