Excessive frame drops (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Actually I was suggesting to try MS-DTV because the LAV behavior differs among my machines. There are PCs where LAV runs nicely - and others where it is not performing at all and watching TV is awful because of the picture being choppy.

With respect to the stat screenshot above: while MePo's TV is correctly running at 50 Hz, the display is not! This alone will already create some rendering problems, which are visible in the red line. However, this doesn't explain why the actual fps is only 34. If it wasn't for WMC displaying correctly, I would assume throttiling issues of CPU/GPU on your laptop. Notwithstanding it would not harm to also verify that the CPU frequency remains at the expected levels.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Some additional suggestions:

1. Make sure power management in control panel is set to "maximum performance".

2. To disable de-interlacing you may need to change it in the display adapter settings

3. For your situation during diagnosis please ensure vertical sync (v-sync) is disabled in display adapter settings.

4. I need a shift+1 screenshot with only 1x display active. (Display = 60hz but measured hz = 50). If fps is still low, then I need shift+1 screenshot with resolution set to 1280x720.

5. If you have 2 copies of LAV installed, make sure you are definitely changing the settings, this can be confirmed by running MP in windowed mode and setting LAV to display icon in taskbar.

6. If you have hardware acceleration disabled you should see a change in cpu usage, between disabled and enabled, if there is not a change then something is wrong either hardware acceleration is not working at all (ie GPU not utilized) or you are unable to disable it.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This whole situation seems quite strange to me, since as far as I can see the OP is testing with SD MPEG 2.

From the resource monitor screenshot: the relatively high (> 5 MB/s) disk usage seems odd.
    From the "!" screenshot: the "1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz" vs. 50 Hz measured refresh rate seems odd.
    ...and I'm randomly wondering if Aero could be having an effect.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    The topicstarter hasn't answered mm1352000's question about antivirus software.
    @tclulow_4213 have you tried to disable antivirus software for testing, or added exclusions for TS, tsbuffer, VOB, MKV and AVI filetypes, and mediaportal timeshift folder ? if not - then please do it and report back

tclulow_4213

Portal Member
    October 5, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the continued advice.
    I'm going to be off-line for two weeks due to personal circumstances, but will be back.
    I think I have all anti-virus turned off (I certainly get a nag about AV not being right). While I'm offline I'll try Vasilich's a nd kiwijunglist's suggestions and also try the MS codec and report back.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    The problem is most noticable when the video pans (movement is jerky), during football (the ball moves in a series of steps) or the end credits of a program (they scroll in distinct steps rather than moving smootly.
    As I mentioned in a previous post, I experience the same symptoms as tclulow, but in my case there is no 60Hz confusion, so it may or may not be the same problem. However, last night I was watching an HD recording, and this recording does exhibit the problem. :(

I used VideoLan to extract a 60-second clip that has horizontal panning. Luckily, VideoLan does not seem to fix-up the datastream in any way, and this clip exhibits the same juddering as the full programme. Is there anyone who can look at it to see what is unusual about it? It is 23MB, so I have not uploaded it yet (not sure whether there is an upload limit).

As I have an Nvidia graphics adapter (GT610), I would be particularly interested in anyone who also has an Nvidia and who does not experience the problem when playing this clip. Maybe we can compare settings and find a solution?

I should add that I have gone through the "5 minute" setup procedure described in kiwijunglist's "Guide for Perfect Playback" thread, but sadly that did not make any difference. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Luckily, VideoLan does not seem to fix-up the datastream in any way, and this clip exhibits the same juddering as the full programme.
    Just to ensure the situation is clear...

When receiving digital TV (which most people are these days), MP (and TV Server) have nothing to do with the encoding of the video or audio streams. They "simply" record and/or display what is received from your tuners... which in turn "simply" pass on the video and audio from your TV provider (BBC, ITV, TVNZ etc.). It is the TV provider who has the flash and expensive encoding equipment.

In other words, I'm saying that if there is a fault, it is most likely to be in your configuration. Alternatively (and probably less likely), the TV provider may have an issue with their encoder configuration... or there may be an issue with the content itself, as provided by the upstream content provider. Either way, the point is that MP and TV Server literally can't introduce problems into the datastream (and nor can VLC fix it up).

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    VideoLan does not seem to fix-up the datastream in any way,
    the point is that MP and TV Server literally can't introduce problems into the datastream (and nor can VLC fix it up).
    I had originally intended using VideoRedo to extract the clip, and VideoRedo does have a "fix-up" button to fix-up irregularities in something or other. But the version of VideoRedo that I have does not support HD files. :( I did not know whether VideoLan would perform similar fix-ups when it extracted the clip, but evidently it does not as the clip still shows the problem.

In other words, I'm saying that if there is a fault, it is most likely to be in your configuration.
    Yes, I agree. But what? :confused:

I cleared out the log folders and played the clip with "MP Watchdog" active. Logs files are attached below. The logs don't seem to contain any obvious errors (but then, I don't know what I am looking for). The clip is called "Remember Me (BBC1 HD) Judder When Panning".

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom