exporting TV list to M3U (1 Viewer)

VWnut8392

Portal Member
January 22, 2017
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Is there a way to export the channel list to playlist? been trying to figure this out myself and all i can find is info on how to import an M3U to stream another IPTV server.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Is there a way...?
    No, and the reason is that TV Server doesn't have generic support for streaming to non-MediaPortal clients. In other words: there's no purpose/reason for TV Server to have such a function.

VWnut8392

Portal Member
    January 22, 2017
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the answer. looks like im going to have to hunt for a new back end than because there is a purpose for this with what im doing.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If you were able to share more about your goal then I may be able to be more helpful.

For example, if you were intending to stream to phones or tablets I might ask: are you aware of MPExtended?

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Sorry if I get in this discussion.
    I asked this feature a long time ago, and this is the main reason I'm (quite) not using anymore MP (but I'm always following discussions and development).
    The reason is simple: nowadays a tv server have to stream to different devices in a lan: smartphones, other pcs, and most important of all, Smart TVs.
    The quite obvious solution is exposing an m3u with a playlist of all tv channels.
    It seems to me that MpExtended doesn't do that, but maybe I'm wrong.
    I think (but, again, maybe I'm wrong) that nowadays, when a 55 Smart TV costs 500 €, a TVServer that can't stream to it is almost useless.
    If it's a Server, it has to Serve.
    If the project is still now aimed at serving exclusively other pcs in the house this project is, IMHO, quite obsolete (I'm talking from a user perspective).
    I asked many times also for the possibility of Upnp/Dlna streaming, but seems that tvserver can't do that either.
    mm1352000, this is only to improve and make MP better, i'm not judging your work.
    I'm seeing in other forums that other people like me is moving to other software exclusively for the lack of this feature, that now every other tvserver has.
    MP could be the best TVServer in the world, but it has no sense using it in this restricted way.
    Thank you,
    sdf

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @sdf

I don't know if MPExtended has the ability to export to m3u... but if you're looking for "MP something" that has the ability to stream to different devices then that is the way to look.

I think (but, again, maybe I'm wrong) that nowadays, when a 55 Smart TV costs 500 €, a TVServer that can't stream to it is almost useless.
    If it's a Server, it has to Serve.
    The whole point of a "smart TV" is to effectively to replace MediaPortal and TV Server completely. What's the point of enabling TV Server to stream to such TVs? What value can be added?

I asked many times also for the possibility of Upnp/Dlna streaming, but seems that tvserver can't do that either.
    That's true. In my opinion there are various reasons that TV Server doesn't have DLNA support including (a) DLNA is a closed/paid-for standard and (b) not enough developers interested enough to work on any feature/part of TV Server. I have very little time for MP these days, and the time that I do have is invested in the core. If you want DLNA support with MP then the closest/best option/possibility is MP2.

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Thank you mm1352000, polite as always.
    Having a tv server in the house gives something more to the smart tv, i.e. mdapi, or dvb-s (to tvs that have only dvb-t), or recording in .ts format.
    Anyway the real problem is that every device nowadays wants (and needs) a playlist of channels. Every tvserver i can think of has this possibility (smartdvb, progdvb, dvbviewer, tvheadend, vdr, nextpvr and so on).
    Even my € 80 enigma2 combo receiver does that, and does it very well.
    I know there is kodi on android, but IMHO it's time to do something in this direction. Maybe MpExtended can be "Extended"?
    Thank you again,
    sdf

Spaceboy

Portal Member
    August 22, 2014
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    i would also add my support for this request. i use Mediaportal as the back end to emby but would prefer to use MediaPortal as just a dumb tuner to provide an m3u for use in emby. I know this means missing out on a load of functionality such as sharing streams from the same mux but ultimately i just want to be able to watch my DVBS2 channels in emby and i am unable to do that at present. NPVR has this functionality but its limited to 1 stream at a time, starting a second stream ends the first.

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Spaceboy : I am running mepo tv server and emby - works fine. Emby has an mepo tv server addon, but you will need to install mpextended to use it.

MPExtended - new version 0.6.* - MediaPortal - Emby Community

EPG view screenshot running emby & mepo.

emby screenshot.JPG

Spaceboy

Portal Member
    August 22, 2014
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Spaceboy : I am running mepo tv server and emby - works fine. Emby has an mepo tv server addon, but you will need to install mpextended to use it.

MPExtended - new version 0.6.* - MediaPortal - Emby Community

EPG view screenshot running emby & mepo.

View attachment 196441
    i have also used MediaPortal, MP Extended and Emby for 2 years and from my experience it is far from fine which is why i'm seeking alternatives. i've also tried dvblink (i was a long time paid user there using with WMC before) and next pvr. these arent issues with the backends themselves, just how emby uses them. great if it works for you, i wish i was as lucky!

if you are interested in those issues they are:
    • slow guide loading
    • slow channel loading
    • long pause immediately after starting live tv
    • poor artwork
    • less integration with the core tv library on emby
    • audio sync problems on android with dual audio stream HD programs.
    • no ability to change the audio stream on dual stream programs, unfortunately emby picks the default audio channel which is the audio described for the deaf channel.
    • inability to watch in progress recordings, well you can but you will always get kicked out at the point that the live tv show finishes, leading you then to just have to wait for the recording to be full detected by emby before you can then fastforward through whatever you watched to get to the remaining bit
    • no ability to transit in in progress recordings
    • completely unreliable detection of completed live tv recordings, some can be available in second, others still take several minutes

Users who are viewing this thread