External srt not working anymore with 1.13? (1 Viewer)

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    the log

the mkv have an embedded ENG subtitle but there is a srt file, MP choose that one , ever.

not with this version, not anymore.

With the manual selection there is no problem at all.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    With the manual selection there is no problem at all.
    Do you mean that it is still possible to manually select the external SRT subtitles?

what's going on?
    Probably the same answer as here, right @Sebastii ?
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/subtitle-not-automatically-turned-on.132847/#post-1162650
    You should name your external subtitle with the language in the name (for example movie.dutch.srt), like this MP will know and detect the correct match and select the subtitle :)

So, what is the name of the SRT file?

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Maybe a regression introduce but i think we tested it, i remember that a user did tag correctly the .srt and then it was not picked up.
    The name should be like this (for ex):
    movies.mkv
    movies.english.srt

If we set MP to load english it should pick up it.
    MP can only know the language of the external sub by reading the name of the file and compare to his own language list.

So yes @red5goahead could you name the .SRT file like ask @mm1352000 :)

There is some new option also in MP config did you try it ?

upload_2016-3-23_7-56-29.png

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Do you mean that it is still possible to manually select the external SRT subtitles?

Yes

The same name of file.[DOUBLEPOST=1458721496][/DOUBLEPOST]
    MP can only know the language of the external sub by reading the name of the file and compare to his own language list.

Since when? :( :)

The name of srt was identical to file name (mkv, mp4 and so). ever.

I've only three option . There is not the "...first available" (the third one) one in my installation, I've upgraded from an 1.12 svn to 1.13 because I've tested on a new features some weeks ago.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The same name of file.
    So to be clear, it is Fargo.S02E03.1080p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H.264-DRACULA.srt?
    If so, that is the problem.
    You have to change it to Fargo.S02E03.1080p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H.264-DRACULA.italian.srt

Since when? :( :)
    Since 1.13.

Well, now it has changed. :)

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Well, now it has changed. :)[/QUOTE]

Without any advice?

Let me complain about this choice

I've not the third option. maybe it's the previous one that choose the external srt file as the right one.

I will uninstall MP soon to start with a fresh one

Imho if present the srt or idx/sub must be used, ever.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Without any advice?
    It was in the changelog which was linked to the release news:
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/news/mediaportal-1-13-0-pre-release
    https://issues.team-mediaportal.com...|5c119978fbf929cf5d1b4fc7136e6c8796940468|lin
    https://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/MP1-4691

Imho if present the srt or idx/sub must be used, ever.
    ...and what if there are multiple external sub files?
    ...and what if there are also built-in subs?
    How would MP know which subtitles to show?
    The answer is that MP wouldn't know. That's why we now require the file to be named properly, and the language preference will enable MP to select and load subtitles correctly.

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I don't agree. In my case I've the Italian as primary subtitle language and I've an [ENG] subtitle embedded and a single subtitle srt only so the there is no argue :eek: :)

IMHO ;)

Btw no problem to add a suffix to the external file but it's odd

Users who are viewing this thread