External srt not working anymore with 1.13? (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't agree. In my case I've the Italian as primary subtitle language and I've an [ENG] subtitle embedded and a single subtitle srt only so the there is no argue
    Of course, in this case... but that is not always the situation for everybody (and maybe even some of your videos have multiple SRTs/IDXs).
    ...and still MP cannot know that the SRT file contains Italian unless you give it the right name.
    Sorry, the behaviour is not going to be changed back.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    I've the Italian as primary subtitle language and I've an [ENG] subtitle embedded and a single subtitle srt only so the there is no argue
    and i have english embedded and external subtitles either in russian or in german. but i want to have subs in german only. How would MP know what language has the ext sub file? always load ext subs is not the option, as it would load russian subs also, what is not desirable.
    So the approach that has MP since 1.13 is universal, as i can configure it as i want, and you too (i assume that renaming subtitle files isn't too hard :) )

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I've the Italian as primary subtitle language and I've an [ENG] subtitle embedded and a single subtitle srt only so the there is no argue
    and i have english embedded and external subtitles either in russian or in german. but i want to have subs in german only. How would MP know what language has the ext sub file? always load ext subs is not the option, as it would load russian subs also, what is not desirable.
    So the approach that has MP since 1.13 is universal, as i can configure it as i want, and you too (i assume that renaming subtitle files isn't too hard :) )

No, it's not true. if no language has been found and there is an unique srt (one) the choice is simple. MP work for years in that way,

Think about if you have hundreds ot thousands of files in the archive (movie, series ..) without suffix.

without suffix MP should assume the external sub as primary language chosen.

My guess, MP devs will have lots of complains about this feature

btw maybe my issue problem it's that I've not the "subtitle will be auto loaded by first available". I don't understand why I've three option and not those four.

Last edited:

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Think about if you have hundreds ot thousands of files in the archive (movie, series ..) without suffix.
    It's easy to fix with a renaming tool. Nobody expects you to rename all the files manually.

You keep kidding me (us).

This is not what I expect from MP devs that I knew in the past

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You keep kidding me (us).
    I'm not kidding.

Use this:
    https://bulkrename.codeplex.com/

Select your movie/video folder.
    Ensure rename subfolders is ticked.
    Enter ".srt" for replace "find what".
    Enter "Italian.srt" for replace "replace with".
    Ensure "include extension" is selected.
    Click replace.
    Wait... :)

It's really easy!

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    MP devs will have lots of complains about this feature
    you are the first one. The rest are enjoying this feature allowing them fine-tune the subtitle loading logic.
    if no language has been found and there is an unique srt (one) the choice is simple.
    read my arguments. I don't want it to work the way it was before 1.13 and the way you want it. It is just wrong assumption that the subtitle file without language has the language you need. It can be true in your case, but only in your. Don't forget - there are other setups, that are (taken from responses) are more common than your.
    MP work for years in that way
    That's not an argument. If MP haven't had flexible logic to manage subtitles in the past - it is not the reason not to make it possible now.

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    That's not an argument. If MP haven't had flexible logic to manage subtitles in the past - it is not the reason to make it possible now.

There is no reason to keep assume the srt file without suffix is the native language one and enjoy the new feature when the suffix is present. (the tuning)

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    There is no reason to keep assume the srt file without suffix is the native language one
    exactly, that's what i said also!

There is no reason to NOT keep assume the srt file without suffix is the native language one and enjoy the new feature when the suffix is present. (the tuning)

Is my native language was English do you think I'm writing here ? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread