Feedback on 1.2 music changes (1 Viewer)

Jeditrav

Portal Pro
May 17, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
So how the heck are we supposed to build a decent playlist now?

Like Slurm, in the past I would browse through my music library, test a track, if I like it I would add the track to the playlist and continue browsing & checking tracks, adding the tracks I like to the playlist I'm working on; then when finished I would save the playlist for future use. Now, every time I check a track to see if it's what I want for the playlist I'm working on, it clears the playlist down to the single track I'm currently checking/listening to! Unless I know every single track without having to have a brief listen first, it's seemingly impossible to actually construct a playlist.

This is a major step back in usability and really needs to be addressed pronto.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Switching from play mode to playlist mode will stop the playlist being cleared (see the wiki link I posted above)

I will look at what we can do with this.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is a major step back in usability and really needs to be addressed pronto.

Ehhm, Jeditrav, nice of you to make such demands ...

But in the mean time, why not set Playlist behaviour to Playlist Mode, deselect Add all Tracks to playlist and use the following flow:
    Play (press Enter) a track to try out
    If it is OK, leave it in the play list
    If it is not OK, remove it from the playlist

Btw: Jamson: Great changes, even if the immediate jump to the playlist was strange in the beginning, the behaviour is much more consistent.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Btw: Jamson: Great changes, even if the immediate jump to the playlist was strange in the beginning, the behaviour is much more consistent.
    As I think you have already sorted this can be changed using the jump to option.

As for not knowing what track you want to add to a playlist this was never something the team considered. I am thinking about a way to achieve something similar whilst still making everything consistent. (if you look most of the options are current playlist yet previously when you went there you did not always see what was currently playing).

Would be interested to see how many people have used playlists in MP this way

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Must admit that I did not initially realize it, but when it was mentioned a few posts back, I realized that I have used playlists in same way. Although long time ago.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As I think you have already sorted this can be changed using the jump to option.

Yes, no problem here. It was just that the change suprised the +x years mp user ;)

As for not knowing what track you want to add to a playlist this was never something the team considered. I am thinking about a way to achieve something similar whilst still making everything consistent. (if you look most of the options are current playlist yet previously when you went there you did not always see what was currently playing).

Would be interested to see how many people have used playlists in MP this way

That is the tough part, you never get all the use cases. There are allways people using your sw in a way you never intended and then you break their way of doing things easily.

How about a quick "undo" button? I could play & add the currently highlighted song, it would start playing (and be in the playlist) and then I could press "Oh No, I did not want to hear this". An "Undo" would be great anyway. (multi-level ...)

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    AW: Feedack on 1.2 music changes

I think multiple playlists - as mentioned before - would be a good aproach to solve this problem:

You can use the current playlist to browse your collection and use the add to playlist function to add the tracks you like to a special playlist. Maybe with an option to add the track to an already existing list or to create a new one and add it to this.

cruse

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Omitting the "Enable ID3 tag" setting in 1.2beta might have broken fanart in the "Now Playing" screen when listening to Shoutcast streams. Works in 1.2alpha.

Steps to reproduce:
    - Create and save playlist in Winamp with Shoutcast stations that provide current artist information
    - Choose skin that uses Fanart Handler for Now Playing screen (Maya, Backdrop...)
    - Start playlist file from a music folder

Behavior in 1.2alpha
    Current shoutcast artist fanart downloaded and shown in Now Playing, track changes = fanart changes, like playing different artists from HDD.

Behavior in 1.2beta
    Shoutcast artist information is shown in playlist screen, scraper is running, thumbnail is shown if available, switching to Now Playing screen flashes fullscreen fanart for a second, then artist info and fanart background is empty/default.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Feedack on 1.2 music changes

Omitting the "Enable ID3 tag" setting in 1.2beta might have broken fanart in the "Now Playing" screen when listening to Shoutcast streams. Works in 1.2alpha.
    That option did not do anything you like you think it might of...

Fanart is working fine here for normal music. There is only one change I can think might have broken this MP side (0003232: Make last.fm streams behave like mp3 files rather than radio (thx Hodor) - MediaPortal Bugtracker) but I don't this will have broken anything. Also remember that MP itself does not do anything with fanart.

I am assuming that playback works fine? It is just fanart? If that is the case can you raise it with Cul8r (fanarthandler creator) as he will be able to track down what is not working.

cruse

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Fanart is perfectly fine for normal music and playback is fine for both normal and stream music.

But 1.2beta "forgets" the current stream artist information once switching to "Now Playing" screen. Hence fanart handler quickly and correctly blends over to the default backdrop, which is shown when the artist is unknown or not available.

Users who are viewing this thread