Feedback on 1.2 music changes (2 Viewers)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: AW: Feedack on 1.2 music changes

Fanart is perfectly fine for normal music and playback is fine for both normal and stream music.

But 1.2beta "forgets" the current stream artist information once switching to "Now Playing" screen. Hence fanart handler quickly and correctly blends over to the default backdrop, which is shown when the artist is unknown or not available.

So in now playing when playing back your stream it does not show you the artist? I don't use streamcast so not sure how it works, is this a m3u playlist with a URL in? If so how does MP know when a track has changed?

cruse

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Feedack on 1.2 music changes

I attached a playlist file with four stations providing artist information, please have a look.

Attachments

• shoutcast.zip
      425 bytes

cruse

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Shoutcast is winamp's "radio" service. It's essentially a streamed mp3 with the usual tag information, which led me to believe the "enable id3 tag" was the culprit.

When a track changes the tag/artist info changes. 1.2alpha was capable of refreshing this info for hours at every artist or station change.

Jeditrav

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This is a major step back in usability and really needs to be addressed pronto.

Ehhm, Jeditrav, nice of you to make such demands ...

But in the mean time, why not set Playlist behaviour to Playlist Mode, deselect Add all Tracks to playlist and use the following flow:
    Play (press Enter) a track to try out
    If it is OK, leave it in the play list
    If it is not OK, remove it from the playlist

Btw: Jamson: Great changes, even if the immediate jump to the playlist was strange in the beginning, the behaviour is much more consistent.

It doesn't really work quite that simply.

I have it set to playlist mode.
    I have some tracks in a playlist.
    I browse my library looking for tracks to add to the playlist.
    If I press 'play' to sample a track, the playlist gets cleared to just the current track.
    If I press 'enter/ok' to sample a track I get a pop-up asking if I want to clear the playlist; I select no.
    The track plays, but also gets added to the playlist.
    If I then decide, having sampled, that the track is not what I wanted for the playlist then I have to go into the playlist screen and delete that track from the playlist, and then back to the library to browse for other tracks.

Between the pop-up asking if I want to clear the playlist & having to go the playlist screen to delete a track that wasn't what I wanted, I find it takes a lot longer and I'm having to push about 3x as many buttons, making what was once a very simple task now a laborious chore.

I still contend that this is a major step backwards in usability, and strongly suggest (not demand) that this is a big issue that should be addressed.

bazzz

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Personally, I hate the new system. I liked before how you could browse to, say, the 3rd track on an album, hit "Enter", and the album would play from there. Just like on a CD player. Is there any way to simulate the behaviour of the old system, which I thought was perfectly fine?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Personally, I hate the new system. I liked before how you could browse to, say, the 3rd track on an album, hit "Enter", and the album would play from there. Just like on a CD player. Is there any way to simulate the behaviour of the old system, which I thought was perfectly fine?
    It should still do that by default. What behaviour did you see? Was this in shares or database view?

Edit: just tried and with default options in both shares and database views and this worked as you describe. This is with the play option and add all to playlist setting checked.

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ration/MediaPortal_Configuration/3a_Music_1.2
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/14_Using_MediaPortal/5_Music/31_Play_Music_1.2

did you change either of these settings?

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

It should still do that by default. What behaviour did you see? Was this in shares or database view?

Edit: just tried and with default options in both shares and database views and this worked as you describe. This is with the play option and add all to playlist setting checked.

Music 1.2 - MediaPortal Wiki
    Play Music 1.2 - MediaPortal Wiki

did you change either of these settings?

First of all bad news: WAF factor decreased very much with the new behaviour!

After disabling "Add all tracks to playlist", I solved one problem. (We prefer to add music from several diffrent albums/folders/Artist.)

But still it isn't possible to playback an album from a distinct track (like jameson_uk described).

Also I miss the full (manualy) control over the playlist. The new auto add with play function doesn't match to the way I like to use music.

Isn't it possible, to add these new function to configuration, so everybody can configure it for it's own liking?

Greetings

BERND

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    But still it isn't possible to playback an album from a distinct track (like jameson_uk described).
    If you want to play an album just select that album select the album ie. If your view is
    Genre : album artist : album : tracks
    Then press play at the album level not tracks.

If you really want to play an album from a selected track then you either have the play-all option on (which you obviously don't want) or you use the context menu to add all to playlist.

I was describing the default settings. When set to play mode and play-all pressing play or ok on a track will queue up all tracks in that folder and start playback with the selected track.

If you want to play tracks from different folders try the playlist mode. In this mode play will always start playing what is selected and ok/enter will queue up the selected track. So you can to to say a track by ac/dc and press play then go to a track by iron maiden and press ok and that will play next.

Jeditrav

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: AW: Feedack on 1.2 music changes

But sometimes one might want to do one thing, other times another. Last night I was getting barraged by pop-up windows asking annoying questions. Quitting out to configuration to change between 'modes' sucks. Having different 'modes' sucks. Playing music is no fun anymore.

First of all bad news: WAF factor decreased very much with the new behaviour!

True that!

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    But sometimes one might want to do one thing, other times another. Last night I was getting barraged by pop-up windows asking annoying questions. Quitting out to configuration to change between 'modes' sucks. Having different 'modes' sucks. Playing music is no fun anymore.
    But to switch between adding tracks and playing whole albums previously you still has to use the context menu.

Now though in whatever mode just use play to play what you want select and album and press play then that album will play; select an artist then all tracks by that artist will play; select a genre and all tracks in that genre will play.

I guessing the pop up is when you are pressing ok but nothing is playing? You can avoid this by pressing play.

Users who are viewing this thread