Feedback on 1.2 music changes (1 Viewer)

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Feedack on 1.2 music changes

But still it isn't possible to playback an album from a distinct track (like jameson_uk described).
    If you want to play an album just select that album select the album ie. If your view is
    Genre : album artist : album : tracks
    Then press play at the album level not tracks.

If you really want to play an album from a selected track then you either have the play-all option on (which you obviously don't want) or you use the context menu to add all to playlist.

I was describing the default settings. When set to play mode and play-all pressing play or ok on a track will queue up all tracks in that folder and start playback with the selected track.

If you want to play tracks from different folders try the playlist mode. In this mode play will always start playing what is selected and ok/enter will queue up the selected track. So you can to to say a track by ac/dc and press play then go to a track by iron maiden and press ok and that will play next.

Thanks for your quick reply!

We don't have that much music files and many are sorted to our own "categories" (Party, folk, Sampler, nursery rhymes , Lounge, ...). Because of that the "files view" is the prefered one and we feel comfortable with it.

Playlist mode will allways change the playlist. Often we have a playlist that we like to keep unchanged, but like to hear diffrent Tracks exceptional (without changing playlist).

Actually we have to do many extra steps to use music like we prefer... :(

If I see right, it isn't possible to get full manualy control over the playlist and start playback from a certain track to the end (of folder/album), in the way we want (and it was before) :(

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If I see right, it isn't possible to get full manualy control over the playlist and start playback from a certain track to the end (of folder/album), in the way we want (and it was before) :(
    You seem to be trying to do many things at once here. If you want to have cd player type behavior then use play mode and play-all option.

The "playlist" is really the current track listing now (just as it would be in a cd player)

If you then want to play around with playlists you can load/save one or create one using the context menu (using the add to playlist option).

The only thing here is that if you play a track it will clear the playlist (same as taking out the cd and putting a new on in).

I am interested in why you want to control the playlist and play something different at the same time?

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Your solutions do work, but still more compilcated than the "old" way.

I am interested in why you want to control the playlist and play something different at the same time?

Well, it was one of the first arguments:

1. I look through my collection, play some tracks (often I don't know how the track sounds) and when I like the track I add it to the current playlist.
    2. We like a playlist with prefered songs and it's very comfortabel just to go to this playlist (mapped a button of the remote to it). But sometimes you want to listen to a destinct track/album, without changing the playlist because at the next time you want to play this playlist (unchanged) again.

Also one thing I mention that changed: Add to playlist action/function/button. I was used to add tracks to playlist and automaticly the next track was selected. So many songs could added very fast one to another and if I liked to skip one I just had to push down.
    With a IRSS Macro I could readjust this, but also expect this by default...

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Feedack on 1.2 music changes

1. I look through my collection, play some tracks (often I don't know how the track sounds) and when I like the track I add it to the current playlist.
    2. We like a playlist with prefered songs and it's very comfortabel just to go to this playlist (mapped a button of the remote to it). But sometimes you want to listen to a destinct track/album, without changing the playlist because at the next time you want to play this playlist (unchanged) again.
    OK the first one I know about and I am looking at a solution.
    The second one is that you are basically loading a favourites playlist??? If so you could flag the tracks a favourite and go to the favourites database views. Also you could have a look at one button music which will allow you to load and play a playlist with a single key press. But in any play mode, you will never change that playlist but only the current playlist. If you save your favourites as a playlist this can then be loaded and played whenever you want (and by a single button if one button music is used)

Remember there are the following combinations of actions so trying to cater for all of these in a way that is good for most users (and those here are really power users) is:
    • Play Now
    • Play Next
    • Play Last
    • Play All Now
    • Play All Next
    • Play All Last
    • Add To playlist
    • Insert Into playlist
    • Add All To playlist
    • Insert All To playlist
    and that is before you have the issues about CD style playback vs playing just what is selected.

As I said though, wait until tonight and I may have a workaround....

Also one thing I mention that changed: Add to playlist action/function/button. I was used to add tracks to playlist and automaticly the next track was selected. So many songs could added very fast one to another and if I liked to skip one I just had to push down.
    Sorry I am not 100% sure what you mean here. What did you do to add tracks to the playlist? was this via the add to playlist option in the context menu? When you push down where was this? I am not aware that down has ever skipped tracks in any screen.

Please keep feeding back. I am looking at doing something with the add to playlist stuff but what I am struggling is how this is making things so much worse. Issue 1 is a missing feature and hopefully I will have something that might solve this available tonight. Issue 2 is just a case of loading a playlist (or using the favourite feature in the database)

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Feedack on 1.2 music changes

OK the first one I know about and I am looking at a solution.
    The second one is that you are basically loading a favourites playlist??? If so you could flag the tracks a favourite and go to the favourites database views. Also you could have a look at one button music which will allow you to load and play a playlist with a single key press. But in any play mode, you will never change that playlist but only the current playlist. If you save your favourites as a playlist this can then be loaded and played whenever you want (and by a single button if one button music is used)

Good to hear that your looking for a solution! Well, it's a hard job to make everyone happy... don't missunderstand my critics! ;)

To the 2nd point "keep Playlist unchanged while Playback": An example: I configure a playlist for single use later in the evening. But actually my little boy want's to hear some children songs. Actually I have to "save" the playlist or it's lost/changed. With the "old Style" it wasn't...

But if you make the 1st Point "optional/configuable" the 2nd is also solved...

Remember there are the following combinations of actions so trying to cater for all of these in a way that is good for most users (and those here are really power users) is:
    • Play Now
    • Play Next
    • Play Last
    • Play All Now
    • Play All Next
    • Play All Last
    • Add To playlist
    • Insert Into playlist
    • Add All To playlist
    • Insert All To playlist
    and that is before you have the issues about CD style playback vs playing just what is selected.

ähhh, sorry ?!? :confused: what you mean with this?
    Do you mean I could get "my" prefered behaviour with changing the "Play Button" to one of those Actions?

For example "Play All Now" wouldn't add the tracks to the playlist and continously playback from the current track on?

As I said though, wait until tonight and I may have a workaround....

Sorry I am not 100% sure what you mean here. What did you do to add tracks to the playlist? was this via the add to playlist option in the context menu? When you push down where was this? I am not aware that down has ever skipped tracks in any screen.

I mapped "Add song/folder to Playlist (Y)" to a Remote Button. When the Y-Button was pressed, the current track was added to playlist and the selection jumped to the next track.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    I mapped "Add song/folder to Playlist (Y)" to a Remote Button. When the Y-Button was pressed, the current track was added to playlist and the selection jumped to the next track.

So you are saying the previously pressing "y" on a track would move the highlighted track down one (ie. Highlight the next track down?)

If so that I will fix tonight

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

So you are saying the previously pressing "y" on a track would move the highlighted track down one (ie. Highlight the next track down?)

If so that I will fix tonight

yes, I'm very sure! :D

Elsewhise it should be so: It would make no sense to stay on the entry, espacially if you want to add several tracks. Only thing I can't remeber, is the behaviour at the end of a list... stay or go to the first?!?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    OK not got anything sorted tonight but made some progress.
    Might have something tomorrow as a prototype

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Feedack on 1.2 music changes

well, seems to be more complex...

Any news?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country

well, seems to be more complex...

Any news?

Sorry things kicked off at work and I have not had much time. I will post something tonight but I am looking to see if a better solution can be put in place for 1.2 (although any major changes are unlikely)

Users who are viewing this thread