Format EPG? (1 Viewer)

Guy Incognito

Portal Member
July 16, 2011
Home Country
I get epg data through the xmltv plugin. The xml file has lots of extra fields, but my epg only displays title and description. How do I change the format of the epg display to include the other data fields in my xml file?

Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Please specify which extra fields you're referring to and where you want them to be displayed. It isn't possible to answer your question without knowing that.

Guy Incognito

Portal Member
    July 16, 2011
    Home Country
    Sure, no worries. Specifically I want to see the star-rating in the title on the EPG for movies. Is that possible? The DVBEPG has settings and customisation for it. Is it possible when importing xmltv?

Blue Lightning

Portal Member
    October 8, 2011
    Home Country
    Antarctica Antarctica
    I would also like to see some additional details in the Mediaportal TV Guide (I use DefaultWide, data source XMLTV). In particular the associated thumbnail and the classification. If these are already possible please correct me!

An example of the thumbnail: <icon src="http://www.abc.net.au/tv/common/images/publicity/LE1427H003S00_460.jpg" />
    Right now when you highlight a program in your guide, it shows the channel icon next to it. This could be the program image instead. The program image could also be used when highlighting search results and scheduled recordings. Also the actual recording itself could save a copy of the image instead of generating a jpg from the video file, but I realise that would be a bit more complicated.

An example of the classification: <rating><value>G</value><icon src="http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/tv/img/G.png" /></rating>
    This could be displayed after the program title, before categories. Currently it is "Start time - end time | Title (episode title) | Categories". Instead it could be "Start time - end time | Title (episode title) | [icon of classification or just 'G' text if no icon provided] | Categories"

The program thumbnail is the one I really want, the classification would just be a nice extra.

I've tried adding the thumbnail in but I'm not sure what I'm doing, or if Mediaportal even stores that XMLTV property when it imports the data.
    Please let me know if I can provide additional information or sample data.

Blue Lightning

Portal Member
    October 8, 2011
    Home Country
    Antarctica Antarctica
    It looks like I can get the Classification data from label value "#TV.Guide.Classification". I could probably use that for testing the program thumbnail instead of the classification.

I've tried a <control> with <type>image</type> and a <texture> in the control with a URL but this doesn't work. Is there another way to go about it? Or would I need to be downloading and caching the file externally to use it as a local image file?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I've tried a <control> with <type>image</type> and a <texture> in the control with a URL but this doesn't work.
    No, I would not expect that to work. I'm pretty sure the skin engine will not download stuff for you. You can only reference a file which is accessible to the machine and user account which MediaPortal is running under.

Or would I need to be downloading and caching the file externally to use it as a local image file?
    Yes, this.

Users who are viewing this thread