Global Music Search v2.0.0 [2014-02-19] (1 Viewer)

d-fader

Portal Pro
September 24, 2006
I live in Purmerend, a small town just above Amst
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
i use your plugin to replace the limited search default feature.
Thanks and yeah, the default search functionality is frustrating ;)

It's great but it lacks the SMS style writing, very useful like in Vista MCE provides.
I found a plugin dedicated to this functionnality and it would be great that you integrate it! Here the link of the post related:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/newcomers-forum-240/sms-style-input-34450/?highlight=sms+style
Maybe i can do it if you please to send me source code (i ask also source code from sms style author).
Grabbed the attachment and implemented it in Global Search.

- Why do you have a search button? I think it unacessary, you should run the query just after finishing writing criteria. It would be faster and more convenient
Noted, will be implemented, you're totally right!

Request features in the result page:
- artist selected -> a 'list albums for the same artist' function
- track selected-> a 'list tracks for the same album" function should be interesting to speed up research.
I will have a look into that too! Sounds like a good addition.

Thanks a lot
You're very welcome and thank you too :)

Okay, that being said, I had the opportunity to check the SMS styled input and I think the user should be able to choose the input type (normal keyboard or SMS styled). Do you think it's possible to check whether the user clicked on the Searchphrase button with the remote or with the keyboard? If that is possible, then I could use the default virtual keyboard for a 'keyboard' and the SMS styled virtual keyboard for the remote.

Furthermore some great additions to the SMS keyboard could be:
- Preview of the character you're inputting (when I want the C, I would like to see A, B, C when I tap the two key three times.
- Auto number when holding a key (when I hold 5 I see J and after 1 second of holding the 5 key pressed, it will change to 5).

I'll check the SMS keyboard thread to check if someone requested it already and if not, I'll add a message.

Hope to hear from you guys soon! :D for using this awesome *cough* plug-in ;)

Grtz,
d-fader

...where's my beer!? Oh there!

LaMaOne

July 22, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Thanks for your work on this wonderful plugin d-fader.

I was wondering, would it be possible to include an option to search through Video titles / actors as well?

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Grabbed the attachment and implemented it in Global Search.

Okay, that being said, I had the opportunity to check the SMS styled input and I think the user should be able to choose the input type (normal keyboard or SMS styled). Do you think it's possible to check whether the user clicked on the Searchphrase button with the remote or with the keyboard? If that is possible, then I could use the default virtual keyboard for a 'keyboard' and the SMS styled virtual keyboard for the remote.

Furthermore some great additions to the SMS keyboard could be:
    - Preview of the character you're inputting (when I want the C, I would like to see A, B, C when I tap the two key three times.
    - Auto number when holding a key (when I hold 5 I see J and after 1 second of holding the 5 key pressed, it will change to 5).

I'll check the SMS keyboard thread to check if someone requested it already and if not, I'll add a message.

Hope to hear from you guys soon! :D for using this awesome *cough* plug-in ;)

Grtz,
    d-fader

...where's my beer!? Oh there!

Hi d,

Looked for the new version in the Plugins section and only found the old version from last October.
    Where have you hidden this new GEM?

Concerning an on/off option for the SMS feature, is it possible to identify the input source in your plugin?
    In my case, the keyboard is a standard HID device, wheras the remote control (where I want to use SMS) is an (emulated) MCE remote.

:D for this great contribution!

fabien44

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2006
    Hi D-fader,

for the choice between virtual keyboard and SMS input style, maybe you could set a parameter in the setup/config area of the plugin? I guess when user has chosen one solution he stay with it, so the parameter could be a good solution.

I congratulate you for being so reactive to our suggestions and take into account. I think your plugin should be embedded with next MP versions.

Fabien

d-fader

Portal Pro
    September 24, 2006
    I live in Purmerend, a small town just above Amst
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yeah! Finally there's a new version of your favorite searcher!

Pasted from the section 'Some words from the author':

Well well, finally, after graduating (aced it of course, *cough*) I found some time
    to dive into this gem (at least for me it is ;)) again. I've finally added a configuration
    dialog which looks pretty neat if I may say so. You can select your input style in this
    dialog. The SMS-styled input can be improved somewhat, but hey, at least you
    can finally input your favorite artists in a 2.0 way :p
    For now, still no support for video files, but I promise I will dive into that soon! I
    hope you can wait just a little bit longer (to implement this, it takes some more time,
    since there need I need to create some new GUI screens).
    Last but not least, you can now add all results to the playlist with a single click in the
    context menu of the result list, thanks 'rsbrux' (who came with the idea)!
    Oh yeah, I've added an MPI installer for you lazy asses too, hope you like it :)
    Well, that's it for now, have fun and keep searching! ...honey, where's my beer!?

Please test this version, I want the bugs to be goners before I upload it as a real plugin :)

GlobalSearch (version 0.1.5ß)
    This plugin (at the moment) allows you to search through your complete music
    library and provides functionality to control what you want to do with the
    search results.
    It was developed due to the frustration that up until now you can only search
    in the on-screen list of items (i.e. filter).

Summary
    Project name : GlobalSearch
    Type : MediaPortal Window plugin
    Version : 0.1.5ß
    Release date : July 29, 2008
    Author : d-fader
    License : GNU General Public License

Features

New in this release (0.1.5ß)
    - MPI support
    - Configuration support (from within the configuration part of MP)
    - Configuration option: Keyboard type (normal or SMS-styled input)
    - When you've entered a query, GlobalSearch will directly search (the search
    button is gone).
    - Search button replaced with 'Last searches', which shows a list of your
    search history (up to 10 items). This will be saved, so when you restart
    MP, the search history will not be void.
    - Extra option in context-menu of results (i button on remote or F9 on keyboard) -> Add all to playlist (adds all results to the current playlist)

0.1ß
    - Globally search music library
    - Filter Artist, Album, Filename, Songname, Year and Genre
    - Case sensitivity support
    - Play a single result (directly or add to playlist)
    - Add album of a single result to the playlist
    - Add single result to favorites
    - Switch to playlist or playing now
    - View details of a single result, including cover art

How to search
    The search engine will search with an AND operator between each word. This
    means that searching for Gun Rose will find Guns and Roses as well as
    Gun's and roses. When you want to search for a specific text, use double
    quotes. This means that "Gun Rose" will specifically search for Gun Rose and
    won't return Guns and Roses.

Requirements
    MediaPortal 1.0.0 RC2
    MediaPortal 1.0.0 RC2 SVN

Both versions have their own folder. The SVN version works until
    the latest snapshot. Older versions may work, not sure.

To-do
    x Save search options (and/or results)
    - Improve it to become a REAL global search (music, movies, pictures, etc.)
    x Blue-two wide support (it works, but nothing is aligned at the moment)
    - Other skin support
    - Search progress
    - Integration with MyMusic (and MyMovies, MyPictures, etc.), longshot.

Installation Instructions

Automatic
    Use the MPI.

Manual
    - Shutdown MediaPortal
    - Copy the plugins & skin directory to your MediaPortal directory
    (e.g.: c:\Program Files\Team-MediaPortal\MediaPortal).
    - Start MediaPortal

Version History
    0.1.5ß 2008/07/29 - Added configuration (SMS styled input), search history and 'add all to playlist'.
    0.1.1ß 2007/06/08 - Added support for the 0.2.3 RC2 version of MediaPortal which has a revised Music Database structure, no new features yet.
    0.1ß 2007/10/08 - Initial release (search and browse through the music library)

Thanks
    Nickola - Thanks for the SMS styled input code (although it's pretty Basic atm :))
    Skinners - Thanks for implementing GS in your skins!
    Supporters - Thanks for helping me out on the forum!
    Sebastian Moleski - Thanks for the TStringList (Delphi class) port. I've made
    some changes to though (naming and bufixes) :)

Words from the author

July 29th, 2008
    Well well, finally, after graduating (aced it of course, *cough*) I found some time
    to dive into this gem (at least for me it is ;)) again. I've finally added a configuration
    dialog which looks pretty neat if I may say so. You can select your input style in this
    dialog. The SMS-styled input can be improved somewhat, but hey, at least you
    can finally input your favorite artists in a 2.0 way :p
    For now, still no support for video files, but I promise I will dive into that soon! I
    hope you can wait just a little bit longer (to implement this, it takes some more time,
    since there need I need to create some new GUI screens).
    Last but not least, you can now add all results to the playlist with a single click in the
    context menu of the result list, thanks 'rsbrux' (who came with the idea)!
    Oh yeah, I've added an MPI installer for you lazy asses too, hope you like it :)
    Well, that's it for now, have fun and keep searching! ...honey, where's my beer!?

October 8th, 2007
    Hi again! This is just a minor revision of the plug-in with an update to
    support the new database structure of the Music section in MediaPortal.
    First of all, thanks for all the feedback I've been getting from all of
    you guys and girls (?). I have written them down on some paper which
    is floating around somewhere in the universe :). I know the plug-in needs to
    be expanded, I just don't have the time, but when I do, I will add all those nice
    features! Oh yeah, there are some contacts about integrating the plug-in in the
    Music section, but that still has to be built, so please, hold on and for now:
    Search, play and swing!

June 8th, 2007
    Hi! Thanks for trying this new plug-in for MediaPortal. I'll try to write
    some words with every new release. This is my first Visual Studio project, so
    it was (and IS) quite a challenge to master the IDE :)
    I've made an abstract object model which makes it possible to search anything,
    although you can only search through your music library at the moment.
    I have taken into account that a multi-threaded search will be one of the
    future possibilities, so the object model is ready for that, although nothing
    thread-safe (critical sections, synchronization) is done yet.
    I would like to get some feedback on the plug-in so we can decide what's the
    next best step and on which part we should focus. Feel free to review the code,
    cause I hate bad designed code (though that's my specialty :))
    Oh yeah, since there wasn't a multi-select dialog (I couldn't find it anyway),
    I 'hacked' my way around the DialogMenu to make a descendant that supports
    multi select lists (used when specifying search fields). Feel free to use or
    review it. Its skin file is DialogMultiSelect.xml .
    Last but not least: have fun with the plugin!

Attachments

• GlobalSearch_0.1.5b.mpi
      30.7 KB

bwg

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks d-fader, great tool, been using it ever since I started with MP. Like the new features, particularly the add all to palylist. I look forward to future versions!

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Amen! Thanks especially for the SMS input. If I could wish for one more thing, it would be to be able to continue to use my wireless HID keyboard normally and my MCE Remote in SMS mode. IIRC , MCE Remote uses the numeric keypad keycodes, in which case this should be possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom