Hauppauge WinTV CI-module. (1 Viewer)

jigsjdg

Portal Member
February 6, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Pauly,

I'm really afraid the combination you got won't work. The Hauppauge CI module works, as far as I know, only with hauppauge TV tuners and not with other manufacturer tuners.

That said, I always got the extra menu items in the MP TV Server config screen if I had them all attached to my PC. I could also configure the lot fine, no problems there.

But... it is very well possible MP TV Server config sees the CI module but also sees you don't have an Hauppauge Tuner, so it doesn't show you the config screen. That's the most likely explanation why it doesn't work for you.

Sorry, it's not the answer you were hoping for, I know. And it's going to cost more money as well. But know we have all invested too much money (and time) to get it to work... in the end...

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I'm really afraid the combination you got won't work. The Hauppauge CI module works, as far as I know, only with hauppauge TV tuners and not with other manufacturer tuners.
    This is correct. Even the specs on the box say that.

hauppauge.co.uk said:
    System Requirements

* Compatible WinTV card.

Even though it might work with cards where hardware + drivers come from HP and were just "relabled" to an other brand.

Another limitation is that this device is only able to decode one Tv-Channel.
    So you must configure the CAM limit to =1 in TvServer Configuration.

This is a stupid limitation by Hauppauge and imo. renders this device useless. You can not even record back2back with that then, even if your CAM would allow you to.

jigsjdg

Portal Member
    February 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just for my information:
    What is back2back recording?

I know why Hauppauge has chosen the option to restricts decoding to 1 channel at any time. They say they did that so that the recording would be stored decoded instead of decoding a coded recording at playtime... in this set up it will allow any recording to be played back at any time (even after your subscription has ended) on any device as it is already decoded..
    Well, it's what they say anyway; regardless of technical possibilities or other pov's.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Just for my information:
    What is back2back recording?
    Example:
    • Pre/Post rec time: 10 minutes
    • Channel: RTL (scrambled)
      • scheduled recording 1: Bones 20:00 -> 20:45
      • scheduled recording 2: Fringe 20:45 -> 21:30

So at 20:35, TV-Server is still recording Bones. Because of pre-record time = 10 minutes, it should also start to record Fringe.
    Which TvServer can not do, because the WinTV-CI is unable to decode 2 TV-Channels (even on the same mux/freq!) at once.

As a result of the post-rec time, the recording of Bones will stop at 20:55. Then Fringe recording will start. This means that you will loose the first 10 minutes of that episode.
    Setting pre/post rec time to small values won't help a lot, because then you can be sure that you will miss the start/end part of some recordings.
    10 minutes is a safe value.

With a decent TV-Card+CI+CAM, this is issue does not exist.

They say they did that so that the recording would be stored decoded instead of decoding a coded recording at playtime... in this set up it will allow any recording to be played back at any time (even after your subscription has ended) on any device as it is already decoded..
    Well, it's what they say anyway; regardless of technical possibilities or other pov's.
    I am sorry to say, but this is "explaination" from hauppauge is plain nonesense.
    My bet is on cheap hardware which simply can not decode more PID's. Simmilar to cheap CAM's.

An AlphaCrypt CAM can decode up to 14 PID's at once.
    Recording 2 concuring shows on the same channel is no issue with it. Or in a multiseat setup, have multiple clients tune to 3 channels on the same mux.
    So usually the limiting factor for how many channels you can decode at once is determined by the CAM. Never by the CI.
    Only Hauppauge is the exception in that case.

pauly

Portal Member
    January 6, 2009
    HN/LB
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Hauppauge WinTV CI-module.

Thanks to all of you for the information.

So I will have another item to sell on e-bay... :(

What USB-CI module do you propose me then to work with my Terratec H5? I know there is a Terratec USB-CI but currently not available.

Isn't there a "generic" USB-CI to be used with different TV-cards?

Thanks in advace.

pauly

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I do not know about any USB-CI Interface which works with Tv-Cards from different brands. And even if the brand is different, then this does not mean that the tech inside is as well.
    So you might have the same 1 channel decoding limit again.

jigsjdg

Portal Member
    February 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Pauly,

I have been using the WinTV CI with the Nova T-Stick successfully in the past (I've switched to another device in the mean time myself though). I believe the T-Stick sells for around 40 euro these days... this page here might help you

infinite.loop: thanks for the extensive answers!!

pauly

Portal Member
    January 6, 2009
    HN/LB
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

While browsing google for my problem I have found out that the Hauppauge and the Terratec USB-CI contain the identical hardware inside!

That brought me to the idea to just install the driver for the Terratec CI and look what it does to the Hauppauge CI and it's functionality with my Terratec TV-stick...

pauly

Portal Member
    January 6, 2009
    HN/LB
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

:( There is no x64 driver fo the Terratec USB-CI!

So I have decided to get me a Terratec H7 with the built-in CI and see if I get this one operational with my Unicam module.

pauly

pauly

Portal Member
    January 6, 2009
    HN/LB
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I've received the H7 now.

Works perfectly with my KDG-Nagra-Smartcard (D09)! :D

A test with my KabelBW-NDS-Smartcard will follow.

pauly

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom