HDPVR2 Dish Network MediaPortal and Me (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Should there be an AES setting in this drop down?
    No. This was not included in the patch.

I'm not 100% certain that "AES in 1" is HDMI audio.
    Can you please follow the instructions in -->this post<-- so I can try to confirm.

laserheat

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Please see attachments. Thank you for helping me.
    Tuners.jpg
    GraphStudio.jpg

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, that second screenshot seems to confirm that HDMI audio should be "AesInput1" in the SD plugin.

There are a number of ways that I can imagine audio could go AWOL.

First, if you're wanting to use the HDMI audio, I strongly recommend that you never attempt to manually add or edit tuning details. Results will be unpredictable. I say this because as you've already seen, that dialog/window/screen doesn't have the AES option available in the drop down. Technically it may be possible to get HDMI audio by selecting HDMI #1 as the video source and automatic as the audio source. However that is strongly discouraged. It's much better to have the SD plugin create your channels with the correct settings from the start.

Second, setting or changing the SD plugin video and audio source options does not affect existing channels. If you failed to select the appropriate values before the SD plugin created the channels, that would explain the problem. If you need to change those source options for any reason, you must first delete all channels in the TV Channels and Radio Channels sections. The SD plugin should recreate your channels with the correct settings after you restart the TV Server.

Third, I'm fairly sure that your source (set top box, camera or whatever) will not support output on multiple digital video or audio output connectors simultaneously. In other words, you wouldn't be able to connect HDMI to the Colossus and component + S/PDIF to another TV, AV receiver or other device. If you've been trying to do that, that may explain the problem.

Finally, it's always important to make sure you've checked the basics (codec settings in MediaPortal, volume + mute in MediaPortal and Windows etc.).

If you don't think any of the above apply to you or all else fails, please:
    1. Close MP and MP Config.
    2. Start the provided Watchdog tool.
    3. Select option 1 or 2 ("report a bug...") and click proceed.
    4. Demonstrate the problem (ie. try to view a couple of channels configured for HDMI audio).
    5. Close MediaPortal.
    6. Save the zip file created by the Watchdog tool.
    7. Attach ("upload a file") the zip file to your next reply.

laserheat

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2012
    Home Country
    I ran a couple tests. I also tried the Hauppauge capture program that comes with the card. It successfully output audio to the TV using just the HDMI cable. I made sure SPDIF was disconnected. I then deleted and re-added channels in MP with AES1 selected in the SD plug in. I ran the watchdog and tuned to 226, no audio was present, I channeled up to 227, again no audio present. I closed the program. I then deleted and re-added channels again in MP with SPDIF 1 selected in the SD plug in. I plugged in the SPDIF cable and then started watchdog. I tuned to channel 226, audio was working, I then channeled up to 227, audio was working. Attached are both ZIP files. Thank you for your time and help.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Great. (y)
    I'm looking at the log files now. Should have a response within the next half hour.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Bingo - I think I've got it.

You've missed at least one of the basic requirements I mentioned in my reply yesterday. That is: you haven't configured your MediaPortal codec settings.

Codec settings are critical.

1. Close MediaPortal.
    2. Open MediaPortal Configuration.
    3. Go to the "Codecs and Renderer" section.
    4. Go to the "TV Codecs" tab.
      1. For "audio renderer", select the appropriate audio output. For all other settings, select the "LAV..." option.
      2. Click the wrench/screwdriver button next to the "MPEG-2 Video" setting after select "LAV Video Decoder".
        1. For "hardware decoder to use", select "DXVA2 (native)".
        2. Ensure resolutions "SD" and "HD" are ticked, and "UHD (4k)" is unticked (not supported by your GPU).
        3. Ensure codecs "H.264" and "MPEG-2" are ticked and all other codecs are unticked (not supported by your GPU).
        4. Click OK to close and save.
    5. Click OK to close and save.
    Now audio should work for all sources.

P.S. I strongly suggest you repeat instruction 4.1 for the other "... Codecs" tabs (video codecs, Blu-ray codecs etc.) too.

laserheat

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2012
    Home Country
    It works! The codecs and rendering section has always been some what of a mystery to me and I have always let it take care of it's self, which I see now is my error in judgment. Is there any good easy to understand articles that explain the in's and outs of what that section does? I see there are lots of choices in each drop down but I am unsure what the best options would be. Any advice is appreciated. I am very grateful for your time and a donation will be made because of you. Thank you sir.
    On a side note, When I enter 3 digit on my Hauppauge remote the guide seems to go to a different channel then what I entered, I thought there was a setting in SD to correct this but I may be mistaken. Thanks again.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It works!
    Great. :)

The codecs and rendering section has always been some what of a mystery to me and I have always let it take care of it's self, which I see now is my error in judgment.
    Yeah, it's not one of those sections that can be ignored.

Is there any good easy to understand articles that explain the in's and outs of what that section does?
    In short, all it does is enable you to select the decoder (codec) for each video and audio type.
    The real complication is in knowing which codecs are good and which are not, and where relevant, knowing how to configure a codec appropriately.
    This guide may give you some hints:
    Guide: Perfect playback & Display calibration

I see there are lots of choices in each drop down but I am unsure what the best options would be.
    There's no one-size-fits-all "best" option. It's about what works and what you prefer. Some of the options won't work, so you can rule them out immediately. Within the set of working options, you can choose a preferred option based on your assessment of the picture/audio quality, reliability with your streams/files etc. etc. etc.

The advice I've given you (using LAV) is fine for a basic setup. If I were you I'd leave the settings alone now unless you run into further problems.

On a side note, When I enter 3 digit on my Hauppauge remote the guide seems to go to a different channel then what I entered, I thought there was a setting in SD to correct this but I may be mistaken.
    The option you're probably thinking of is the "select channel by index" option in MediaPortal Configuration -> TV/Radio section -> TV sub-section.
    The wiki (manual) explains how it works nicely:
    TV Configuration - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki

(You probably ought to untick it.)

I am very grateful for your time and a donation will be made because of you. Thank you sir.
    You're very welcome, and thank you in advance for the donation. :)

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    hi guys,

sorry for coming back always with the same question
    are dlls still compatible with the last 1.16 ?

thank you

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    sorry for coming back always with the same question
    are dlls still compatible with the last 1.16 ?
    You can check for yourself. :)
    Take a backup of the standard DLLs before applying the patched ones. If you find a problem, you can revert to the standard DLLs.
    That way you don't have to keep asking other people. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom