High Def Skin (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

I plan on doing a high def skin, 1024 x 768 (not exactly high def, but at least itds not ED at 800x600) Would you guys like a metal theme or a stereo equitment theme?

A

Anonymous

Re: HD Skin

premii said:
good,

Y not 16x9 theme like 1024x550? (1024X578)

I think i will. I want true high def though, because scaled down doesnt look as bad as scaling up. so, i may have to make different ones, because 1080i is really 1920x1080, which very few hd tbv's are capable of, even though i believe my toshiba 61 inch dlp is. I will maks skins for 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Now to decide looks. should it be in a stereo component look, black, or futuristic? wood? granite?

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I also started a 16/9 hi-res skin based on the mce skin for my projector in 1280x720, for the moment i just made the home menu and the "my video/my photo" menu (the tv section is broken/not finished and other plugins are simply streched) which is the most interresting part to see more thumbnails at a time.

you can test it to see if that's what you're looking for (only home, my video, and my photo menu):

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/freqresplot/mediaportal/mce1280.zip

I'm at the very beginning, i'll not continue if anyone do a better job, so let me know if you plan to release a 1280x720 skin, i'll stop develop my skin to avoid waste of time

Regards,
Pascal

A

Anonymous

Re: HD Skin

MrArmyAnt said:
premii said:
good,

Y not 16x9 theme like 1024x550? (1024X578)

I think i will. I want true high def though, because scaled down doesnt look as bad as scaling up. so, i may have to make different ones, because 1080i is really 1920x1080, which very few hd tbv's are capable of, even though i believe my toshiba 61 inch dlp is. I will maks skins for 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Now to decide looks. should it be in a stereo component look, black, or futuristic? wood? granite?

warning, a skin in real 1080 vertical resolution will flicker horribly on interlaced devices.

It's better to use a 960x540 16/9 skin (or 1920x540 but it's not practical to compute ratios) to avoid interlaced displays to flicker horribly.

I tried my 1280x720 skin in 1080i mode and it's already flickering a bit as 720p lines is more than half 1080i (540) lines.

Pascal

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just throwing this out there - i may be wrong but cant you use a Progressive Scan Converter to get around this?

DMAN.

A

Anonymous

dman_lfc said:
    Just throwing this out there - i may be wrong but cant you use a Progressive Scan Converter to get around this?

DMAN.

Yes, but regardless of very expensive prices of scalers supporting 1080p output, the vast majority of displays are only supporting 1080i (i for interlaced) and not 1080p (progressive).

Pascal

htpcman

Portal Member
    September 12, 2004
    Frankfurt, Germany
    720p is worth considering

Hi MrArmyAnt,

I think it is a very good idea to do a 16:9 Hi def skin

I would like to propose 720p as the default resolution for the high def skin reasons:

- It is 16:9 and Progressive so no interlace flicker...

- It has square pixels, important for computations like rotations and resizing...

- Most affordable TFT TVs (is there such a thing as affordable in this range?) use 1280x720, so it would display in native res mode.

- Europe will probably adopt 720p as a primary broadcast format. Since the EBU (European Broadcasting Union) has made a recommendation to use 720p

- It can be used on common 1280x1024 4:3 TFT monitors without interpolation

good luck with the development, let us know when you have something for testing...

cheers

htpcman

Users who are viewing this thread