[solved] How Do I Get The Colours That I Want? (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    First of all you´re a bit wrong
    I was under the impression that this was the situation:

(1) Colours ARGB are valid everywhere in MP except "splashscreen.xml".
    (2) Colours #ARGB are valid in "splashscreen.xml", but nowhere else in MP.
    (3) Named colours are valid in "splashscreen.xml" and everywhere else in MP.

Yes? o_O (Note in passing: the A in #ARGB seems to be accepted in "splashscreen.xml", but ignored.)

As splashscreen is an exception to all (and also well known by all skinners), there shouldn´t be any need of any comment
    People move on to other projects. Will any of us still be here five years from now? How many skins are still actively maintained; how many are moribund? (That is a rhetorical question; you don't need to count them. :D)

And this thread has demonstrated that the Wiki cannot be relied upon to give accurate information. Sadly, inaccurate documentation is a characteristic of most programming projects. For programmers, the fun part is writing the code and getting a super-cool application to work :cool:. Documenting its internals is the boring part that usually gets performed in a perfunctory fashion, or deferred indefinitely. :eek:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    3. The discussion was raised by you only, other skinners were already aware of the things discussed here ;)
    With this kind of attitude (it's like you're saying there's no problem, or it's CyberSimian's fault for not knowing these things), I wouldn't want to become a skinner.

CyberSimian has effectively raised what I think is an excellent point: that the specification of colours is inconsistent and incorrectly documented. I agree with him 100%. Obviously these issues make it [far!] more difficult than it should be for expert users learn to customise colours, and discourage them from becoming active skinners over time. Those are problems that ought to be taken seriously and dealt with as a matter of priority.

Catavolt, your response seems disappointingly lackadaisical. Aren't you interested in fixing these things for the benefit of the entire community?

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    that the specification of colours is inconsistent and incorrectly documented.
    Fully agree, and already agreed some posts earlier ;)
    Aren't you interested in fixing these things for the benefit of the entire community?
    I also fully agreed some posts ago to correct the Wiki ;)

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And this thread has demonstrated that the Wiki cannot be relied upon to give accurate information. Sadly, inaccurate documentation is a characteristic of most programming projects. For programmers, the fun part is writing the code and getting a super-cool application to work :cool:. Documenting its internals is the boring part that usually gets performed in a perfunctory fashion, or deferred indefinitely. :eek:
    Absolutely right (y) (y) (y)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So do you intend to update the wiki as requested, or...?
    Yes, I will do this (or, at least, I will attempt it!). But not today.
    I have now updated the "Colors" page in the "Skin Architecture" section of the Wiki. I think that I have captured all of the points made in this thread, but if there is anything that I have left out (or which is just plain wrong :eek:), please let me know.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom