[Question] How much upload speed for streaming? (1 Viewer)

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Hey,

anyone ever tested how much upload speed is needed for the different streaming profiles? for TV Is there an overview anywhere which I haven't found here?

Thanks

Jelmo

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You can check this easily it, if you connect a Client to the service via using LAN. Then open the Task-Manager and check the network detail.
    For 1080i TV it uses around 20Mbps/s for SD TV 6-8Mbps. This upload should be also aviable if you try this via Internet

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Nope, cannot check since my CPU is quite slow and I am thinking about upgrading my HTPC. But since my DSL-Upload is quite limited, this would be interesting for me. If a low-quality profile is choosen, it should be significantly less network traffic, or not?

Jelmo

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For Direct Streaming you don´t need any powerfull CPU. You will need one if you want Transcoding in Between.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Don't forget the FAQ's!

And of course I mean transcoded streams. Thats why I asked about the different profiles.

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have 2,5Mbit Upload and Flash HD worked ;) After some minutes it had some hick ups, but I think it was CPU related. Flash HQ works perfectly, but be aware that you need a quite powerful HTPC, I have a dual core CPU (AMD Athlon X2) and it works with the newer profile, but if want to be on the save side take a quadcore cpu ;)
    The Trafficmonitor in my FritzBox seems to be crap, because it doesn't show something, but I have 0,13% network traffic with the profile Flash HD (Gbit Lan)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    the lower profiles don't need much CPU power, but the HD profiles need much CPU power... I made quite some tests with the profiles.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Anyone knows how to measure properly? Is there an app for this?

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Anyone knows how to measure properly? Is there an app for this?
    With ampdroid you can "download" a stream to the sd card by long-pressing the "Play" button in the streaming details page... So you can download a given file, then check a) the lenght of the video and b) how big the download is. From that you can calculate the needed bandwidth to stream the file with the selected profile.

You might also be able to do this with WebMP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread