Ongoing HTPC Motherboards with HDMI (1 Viewer)

mascot

Portal Pro
November 20, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Why did u go for the Asus 690g board? The 780g boards are all over us now...

Asus has got bad critics for HDMI (driver issues) for ages...

Return it and get the Gigabyte GA-MA78MG-S2H!!! :)

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Why did u go for the Asus 690g board? The 780g boards are all over us now...

I didn't. It's an Intel G35 Express chipset.

Yes, I am finding several reports of HDMI issues with this ASUS board (hence my post here to hopefully warn others). Unfortunately, the place where I bought it from doesn't stock those Gigabyte boards, otherwise I would. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

mascot

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ofcourse, thats what I meant... The asus is intel not 690g, my mistake.

Why not wait for M3N78-EMH HDMI? Nvidia Geforce 8200 onboard GPU with SB750 integrated. Nvidia Purevideo HD and full hd audio through HDMI 1.3a.

happyf1sh

Portal Member
    August 26, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all,

I have a P5E-VM and run my TV with the on board HDMI without any issues. I did have the bad text issue, but set my TV to full pixel setting (I guess no over scanning) and everything is sharp and clear.
    Also I think moving images look better when the graphics adapter is set to 50Hz rather than 60Hz.

Hope this info helps anyone with this board.

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Ofcourse, thats what I meant... The asus is intel not 690g, my mistake.

Why not wait for M3N78-EMH HDMI? Nvidia Geforce 8200 onboard GPU with SB750 integrated. Nvidia Purevideo HD and full hd audio through HDMI 1.3a.

It does not have Firewire!!! Without firewire it definitely sucks as a HTPC board.

And the performance of the new 780G chipset with integrated ATi3400HD beats the hell out of the nVidia or Intel concurents.

happyf1sh

Portal Member
    August 26, 2007
    Home Country
    happyfish, 5.1 + audio over hdmi ?

dc2000,

... did you mean 5.1 audio over the hdmi?...... if so, I'm not sure since my tv isn't that good. However there are some who openly claim 7.1 audio over the hdmi........

..... for information the hdmi is 1.2....

..... my main issue with the graphics on this board (p5e-vm hmdi) is that the resolution reverts back to a lower setting after I have switched the tv off........ however I have come across some suggested workarounds:)

hope this answers your question.

adrianrdaw

February 1, 2007
    Ruislip
    Home Country
    I can't get too technical, because I don't understand all the issues involved, but a word of warning. If you use an old (ish) TV you may have problems with digital hidef. My Toshiba WLT66 apparently does not send an acceptible wakeup signal via HDMI.
    Result.. black screen requiring a reboot to recover. I have had the same results with an ASROCK NF7G, a very well specified board, which ran Bluray via cyberlink very well.
    Not realising the nature of the problem, I built a Gigabyte system with GA M56SS3 and a GV-NX86T512H graphics.
    Both builds with an AM2 5200+.
    This had exactly the same problem with HDMI.
    Analog hidef is very good.
    I hope this halps with any decisions.
    Adrian

mascot

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    780g don't support high def audio on HDMI but through analogue outputs.

Nvidia MCP78 (geforce 8200/8300) says it will support full hd audio over HDMI...

Doesnt matter to me because I will connect a 7 channel amp straight to HTPC analogue outs anyway.

Anyone got the Gigabyte card yet? The reports say the north bridge is very heated! 80+ degrees celsius idle and almost 90 degrees on full load.

Is it normal or will Gigabyte fix it?

Users who are viewing this thread