initial support for Hauppuage HD-PVR (2 Viewers)

Dale#1976

Portal Pro
September 21, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi Everyone:

I'm stumpted with a new install of the MP client on my HP notebook computer. My main system is running MP 1.0.2 server/client. It has been running smooth for the past six months or so. I installed the client side of 1.0.2 on my notebook. It streamed live TV with no problem but when I went into 'Recorded TV' it didn't show up on the screen. When you go into 'task manager' you see 'MediaPortal Full Screen' running. It appears that MP thinks it is displaying the recorded show, but it isn't. MS Media Center runs and views the recored TV shows with no problem. I'm saving the recorded TV as MPEGs so that I can view them through MS Media Center.

I've uninstalled and installed MP client 1.0.1. No go. I've then updated it with 1.0.2. No go. I've done a complete uninstall then installed 1.0.2 again from scratch. No change.

For codecs I've been using the latest version of Core AVC Professionaland and CyberLink version 8. Regardless of which codecs I choose, I can only view streamed live TV and nothing comes up for playing 'recorded TV'.

It seems that for Recorded TV it is opening up a separate screen. I just can't see it.

The really strange thing is, I've had MP working on this system before I did a complete system restore from the HP restore disks. Everything else is working correctly.

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions of where to look?

Do I need to have any of the software for the HDPVR installed on the client? I didn't think so seeing as it will only be viewing MPEGs that are already created.

Thanks .. Dale

ixian

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hey WileE, do you remember several MediaPortal builds ago you made a change to reduce the time it took for the PMT to be grabbed? Remember how it used to take 20-30 seconds when you first started live TV?

Well, that problem has reappeared in the very latest svn's, off the public source tracker. I remember you submitted some change as a patch and it must have been included but now it's reverted - live TV takes about 20+ seconds to start the first time. After that, channel changes, etc are as fast as always. I could of sworn this was a problem you ran in to. This started after svn version 24239 and is present in all builds I do up to todays.

If possible could you tell me where in the code you made the change to fix this, before I spend a lot of time hunting through the source? :)

Thanks!

Edit: I found it (assuming it really is in HDPVRChannel.cs) and unless I am mistaken, there is no difference between it and previous svn versions. Maybe I didn't go back far enough.

It's a little worrisome, because we're getting closer to 1.1RC1, and the latest svn's that it will be based on show this problem. Again, it's when you first start Live TV that it takes 20-30 seconds to start, after that it changes channels normally. It's the initial graph build (I think it's waiting for the PMT) that is at issue. I'll go through my logs and see what I can find.

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey WileE, do you remember several MediaPortal builds ago you made a change to reduce the time it took for the PMT to be grabbed? Remember how it used to take 20-30 seconds when you first started live TV?

Well, that problem has reappeared in the very latest svn's, off the public source tracker. I remember you submitted some change as a patch and it must have been included but now it's reverted - live TV takes about 20+ seconds to start the first time. After that, channel changes, etc are as fast as always. I could of sworn this was a problem you ran in to. This started after svn version 24239 and is present in all builds I do up to todays.

If possible could you tell me where in the code you made the change to fix this, before I spend a lot of time hunting through the source? :)

Thanks!

Edit: I found it (assuming it really is in HDPVRChannel.cs) and unless I am mistaken, there is no difference between it and previous svn versions. Maybe I didn't go back far enough.

It's a little worrisome, because we're getting closer to 1.1RC1, and the latest svn's that it will be based on show this problem. Again, it's when you first start Live TV that it takes 20-30 seconds to start, after that it changes channels normally. It's the initial graph build (I think it's waiting for the PMT) that is at issue. I'll go through my logs and see what I can find.

I asked about this a while back and got no responses.
    Just like you said first time is long, then it's fast until I restart TVServer. And I could swear version 1.0 or somewhere along that time this never happened.
    Interesting thing is when I RMAed my D1 unit I was running just the E1 and the issue didn't happen on that one. So I figured then that it was a problem with the D1. I just received a D2 to replace my D1 and it's doing the 20 second delay on the first start again.
    I wonder if it's an issue with certain hardware revisions or code at this point.

BTW, anyone try driver 1.5.6.1 that was released last week?

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country

Thanks!

I asked about this a while back and got no responses.
    Just like you said first time is long, then it's fast until I restart TVServer. And I could swear version 1.0 or somewhere along that time this never happened.
    Interesting thing is when I RMAed my D1 unit I was running just the E1 and the issue didn't happen on that one. So I figured then that it was a problem with the D1. I just received a D2 to replace my D1 and it's doing the 20 second delay on the first start again.
    I wonder if it's an issue with certain hardware revisions or code at this point.

BTW, anyone try driver 1.5.6.1 that was released last week?

Hey Guys,
    I just peeked at the latest code submissions (24304) and the changes we submitted are still there. The only thing I would like to change is in the OnNotify() method to reduce the sleep time from 1 second down to 300ms or so. (I always change it on the new builds and test it on my prod system.)

@sjeffrey,
    I have been running the 1.5.6.1 for a little while now. I downloaded it from shspvr.com a month or so ago when it was in Beta testing. They say the only difference is that this driver is WHQL certified, whereas the one prior was not. Either way I didnt see any improvements after the install. I dont know if you update your TME software when they are available, but the 1.5.6.1 driver may be a requirement for the new update?

Has anyone made any headway on the DD issue? For now I have turned it off so my clients will perform correctly. My new server has an Asus HDAV 1.3 Slim audio card and DD works perfect, but my clients still have issues :(

Edit: @IXIAN - Is that 20-30 seconds every time you timeshift, or just the first time after a TVServer restart like SJeffrey mentioned?

ixian

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    First time I timeshift, after that it's normal.

WileE 1.5.6.1 in addition to being WHQL also fixes some Dish network receiver sync issues; I know it worked because it fixed a problem with one of mine. I think I remember you using DirectTV so you probably wouldn't notice.

TME 2.4 is available through auto-update now, it does not, however, include 1.5.6.1 (even though it claims it does) - you have to install that by itself still.

I have not tried 5.1 again though I may give that a go this weekend. I'm still having problems with clients (not the standalone client on my server PC, actual streaming clients) occasionally stuttering/freezing for 5-10 seconds then starting again, etc, which I think may be related to the timeshifting files - I'm seeing lots of errors in my logs about not being able to overwrite timeshift files, etc. Until I get that nailed down I will probably leave DD support as is.

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    First time I timeshift, after that it's normal.

WileE 1.5.6.1 in addition to being WHQL also fixes some Dish network receiver sync issues; I know it worked because it fixed a problem with one of mine. I think I remember you using DirectTV so you probably wouldn't notice.

TME 2.4 is available through auto-update now, it does not, however, include 1.5.6.1 (even though it claims it does) - you have to install that by itself still.

I have not tried 5.1 again though I may give that a go this weekend. I'm still having problems with clients (not the standalone client on my server PC, actual streaming clients) occasionally stuttering/freezing for 5-10 seconds then starting again, etc, which I think may be related to the timeshifting files - I'm seeing lots of errors in my logs about not being able to overwrite timeshift files, etc. Until I get that nailed down I will probably leave DD support as is.

I have adopted sJeffreys philpsophy of just recording your shows and watching them later. The only live TV I watch anymore is sports, so its not critical to me to watch them with DD. Most of the recordings I make are sitcoms (V, The Office, etc...) and I record them with my QAM card so they are in DD, so I dont have to worry about setting DD on my DirecTV.

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I use For The Record, so I added it as an action to run comskip after each recording.
    There's also a plugin for TVServer but I never used it.
    There shouldn't be anything different for comskip on the HD-PVR and all other recordings so there's probably more info available in the forums.

ajp8164

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Home Country
    Codec behavior - ArcSoft/CoreAVC/PDVD

Hi All,

I have ArcSoft (latest updates), CoreAVC 1.8, and PDVD8 codecs installed. I also have the latest HDPVR drivers installed.

* With ArcSoft I notice zero problems. I switch to the codec fire up TV and it works fine.

* With CoreAVC I notice that the audio/video is out of sync when TV is switched on. If I pause or rewind and then resume play the audio/video is back in sync. Is there an understanding of the problem (and subsequent fix)?

* With the PDVD8 codec I get frame rates of 30 (verified using shift-1). I installed the PowerDVD 8 trial version linked in this thread.
    I read in this thread (posts around June 2009) that others experienced this drop in frame rate but I did not see where there was a solution. I did see that some singled out this codec as being the best one to use (is this based on image quality or something else).

I am using the ArcSoft codecs because I don't like fooling with work arounds. The only thing that bothers me is that the image quality is a bit softer than I'd like. My source is a Directv H21 receiver outputting 720p. I suppose that since the HDPVR is sampling an analog stream (component video) then there is bound to be some softening of the image since A->D conversion does introduce rounding and estimation at its core.

I am running an SVN build that I created (24535).

What codecs are you using?
    Are you happy with the image quality? Is it comparable to your source-direct-to-tv or is it softer?

:D

timdastis

Portal Member
    January 9, 2010
    Home Country
    First off, sorry if I'm a complete noob, but I've read through this entire thread as well as others and cannot seem to figure this stuff out...I'm hoping this isn't over my head...

I'm absolutely stuck on this whole TV-Server setup...I've hooked up the HD-PVR, gotten signal through Arcsoft TME (though I can't figure out how to channel change), and even get signal when I test it through the TV-Server config program. However I can't find any information on this entire forum on how to set this up correctly so I have an accurate guide as well as audio and video syncing together (audio is way off). The walkthroughs I have found just say 'scan for channels' but obviously that does not work with this type of device. I'm at wit's end with this thing and really want to have this set up correctly so that I can finally integrate my entire system through my htpc.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom