initial support for Hauppuage HD-PVR (3 Viewers)

microwav

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 30, 2009
    San Diego
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    First off, sorry if I'm a complete noob, but I've read through this entire thread as well as others and cannot seem to figure this stuff out...I'm hoping this isn't over my head...

I'm absolutely stuck on this whole TV-Server setup...I've hooked up the HD-PVR, gotten signal through Arcsoft TME (though I can't figure out how to channel change), and even get signal when I test it through the TV-Server config program. However I can't find any information on this entire forum on how to set this up correctly so I have an accurate guide as well as audio and video syncing together (audio is way off). The walkthroughs I have found just say 'scan for channels' but obviously that does not work with this type of device. I'm at wit's end with this thing and really want to have this set up correctly so that I can finally integrate my entire system through my htpc.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

I feel your frustration. It's a bit overwhelming fortunately a number of people here have been very helpful. Chesh has a similar setup to me so his insight worked for me. Here is a link to his tutorial that got me going in the right place.
    Advice that have that has proven very valuable to me is use 4the Record to schedule recordings. Along my way of getting things to work I had a few hiccups if you follow my posts that might prove insightful. I am noob when it comes to this stuff and did take me a while to get things going. One inconsistant problem that the unit become unresponsive and I will have to power cycle the HDPVR then restart the tv server or just restart that whole system.

I used the PDVD8 codec with SPDIF for the audio input. I don't have any sync issues either in time shift (which honestly I don't use very often) or for recordings.

timdastis

Portal Member
    January 9, 2010
    Home Country
    First off, sorry if I'm a complete noob, but I've read through this entire thread as well as others and cannot seem to figure this stuff out...I'm hoping this isn't over my head...

I'm absolutely stuck on this whole TV-Server setup...I've hooked up the HD-PVR, gotten signal through Arcsoft TME (though I can't figure out how to channel change), and even get signal when I test it through the TV-Server config program. However I can't find any information on this entire forum on how to set this up correctly so I have an accurate guide as well as audio and video syncing together (audio is way off). The walkthroughs I have found just say 'scan for channels' but obviously that does not work with this type of device. I'm at wit's end with this thing and really want to have this set up correctly so that I can finally integrate my entire system through my htpc.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

I feel your frustration. It's a bit overwhelming fortunately a number of people here have been very helpful. Chesh has a similar setup to me so his insight worked for me. Here is a link to his tutorial that got me going in the right place.
    Advice that have that has proven very valuable to me is use 4the Record to schedule recordings. Along my way of getting things to work I had a few hiccups if you follow my posts that might prove insightful. I am noob when it comes to this stuff and did take me a while to get things going. One inconsistant problem that the unit become unresponsive and I will have to power cycle the HDPVR then restart the tv server or just restart that whole system.

I used the PDVD8 codec with SPDIF for the audio input. I don't have any sync issues either in time shift (which honestly I don't use very often) or for recordings.

Thanks for the reply...the main problem I am having right now is that once I install version 1.1 beta it finds my hd pvr but cannot find any channels at all...at one point i had it finding just the one channel where preview was working correctly...

Second is I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I set everything up with SchedulesDirect, then when I put in my username and pw in the TV Server config I get some error that causes the program to close...I thought my problem was I was using the wrong plugin version so I got the most recent one (I guess it is SchedulesDirectPluginTVE3-v1.1a.zip) but I think something is not working together correctly...what is the ideal MP/TV-Server & SchedulesDirect combination? Seems like that is where I'm stuck

any help would be appreciated...thanks

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Do you have a blaster setup? The one from Hauppauge isn't the greatest. Many of us have bought USB-UIRT and never looked back.
    Since the PVR is analog and has no tuner you need a blaster to change the channels. There is no scanning to do in TV Server. Our scanning equivalent is to run schedulesdirect and to setup blasting properly.

I think the version I use for SD is SchedulesDirectPluginTVE311ALPHA.zip, but I only run it once to get my channels, then I use 4TR to get the guide data and schedule recordings.

timdastis

Portal Member
    January 9, 2010
    Home Country
    I currently haven't set up the blaster since I couldn't get anything working but I do have a harmony 890 with rf extender...could I somehow take advantage of that instead of buying that ir adapter?

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I currently haven't set up the blaster since I couldn't get anything working but I do have a harmony 890 with rf extender...could I somehow take advantage of that instead of buying that ir adapter?

The 890 is a different thing. A remote control is (kinda) a blaster itself. A blaster emits IR codes, in our case to simulate you changing the channel. So if you want to tune to channel 132, the blaster would emit 1 - 3 - 2 instead of you using your remote and setting the mode to what-ever set top box you have and entering 1 - 3 - 2.

You'll also need (if you don't already have one) an IR receiver to control media portal. This is what you would setup your 890 to do.

You'll see, this is a expensive hobby, time and money wise ;)

Edit:
    I should mention, the USB-UIRT does both emit and receive. So if you got that you would need anything else. I believe you can also get a cheaper Microsoft IR receiver which comes with a transmitter but I'm not 100% sure on that.

timdastis

Portal Member
    January 9, 2010
    Home Country

The 890 is a different thing. A remote control is (kinda) a blaster itself. A blaster emits IR codes, in our case to simulate you changing the channel. So if you want to tune to channel 132, the blaster would emit 1 - 3 - 2 instead of you using your remote and setting the mode to what-ever set top box you have and entering 1 - 3 - 2.

You'll also need (if you don't already have one) an IR receiver to control media portal. This is what you would setup your 890 to do.

Edit:
    I should mention, the USB-UIRT does both emit and receive. So if you got that you would need anything else. I believe you can also get a cheaper Microsoft IR receiver which comes with a transmitter but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I already have a microsoft ir reciever that plugs in via usb to my computer...here are some pics

2227306400089668996S200x200Q85.jpg

2468347270089668996S200x200Q85.jpg

2820184690089668996S200x200Q85.jpg

Can I use this as my blaster? it appears as if i can

DreadFury

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2009
    Home Country
    has anyone figured out why the Arcsoft codec does not show up in MePo for some of us?

I have never been able to get the arcsoft codec to show up in the MePo config for me.
    (I have noticed several others had this problem, but no apparent solution)

I have tried every other codec under the sun,

Every single one has it's problems, it either stutters, works fine until channel change, or has audio sync problems.

can ANYONE suggest a way to ensure the arcsoft codec shows up correctly in MePo?

I have the latest arcsoft TME updates, the latest HDPVR drivers, and the latest MePo SVN.

Thanks!

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Edit:

I already have a microsoft ir reciever that plugs in via usb to my computer...here are some pics

2227306400089668996S200x200Q85.jpg

2468347270089668996S200x200Q85.jpg

2820184690089668996S200x200Q85.jpg

Can I use this as my blaster? it appears as if i can

I can tell by just looking at the pictures. What's the make/model of it?

has anyone figured out why the Arcsoft codec does not show up in MePo for some of us?

I have never been able to get the arcsoft codec to show up in the MePo config for me.
    (I have noticed several others had this problem, but no apparent solution)

I have tried every other codec under the sun,

Every single one has it's problems, it either stutters, works fine until channel change, or has audio sync problems.

can ANYONE suggest a way to ensure the arcsoft codec shows up correctly in MePo?

I have the latest arcsoft TME updates, the latest HDPVR drivers, and the latest MePo SVN.

Thanks!

I don't even install Arcsoft so I can't tell you if I have it available or not.
    I know that some applications now block the directshow filters for other applications so TME might be doing the same.

timdastis

Portal Member
    January 9, 2010
    Home Country

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The blaster doesnt have a model number on it, but the remote (typical media center remote...got it from a Hauppage card back when I used Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005) has a model on the back...RC6 ir

i believe it is this RXX6000-RC6 - RECEIVER+ EMITTER+REMOTE

Ok, so then your next step would be to download and install IR Server Suite. It installs as a service and has a plugin for Mediaportal and Mediaportal TVServer. Once the plugins installed you can go to TVServer config and enable the plugin and teach the IR codes for your set top box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom