initial support for Hauppuage HD-PVR (3 Viewers)

ghostlobster

Portal Member
July 8, 2008
Hey Chas!
I thought I'd run into you here! Right now I'm not unhappy with Sage, just a little bored I guess and felt like tinkering around. I was pretty surprised with how well MP performs and Mrs. Lobster loves MePo, so I figured I'd drive a little deeper into it. For guide data right now, I'm using mc2xml and it appears to be working just fine with the HDHR. It took a bunch of tweaking, but I've finally got it pretty much spot on. Firewire is not an option for me, as I don't have a FW port on my rig, and I don't have a free PCI slot :mad:. I wish that was an option, though.

Once I get the basics hammered out, I've got a pretty long list of smaller items that I will certainly need address in my setup before I can deem this guy "Living Room Worthy" but initially I'm pretty impressed with it.

OK...well...off to the HD-PVR setup...wish me luck!

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Yea, I too was not unhappy with Sage, MP just had a little more to offer. The iTunes integration was a huge hit in my household, along with the beautiful skins and Garry's contribution with the HD-PVR integration, it just seemed like a good fit. There have been a few bugs to work out, but luckily (knocking on wood) things have been running smooth. This community seems to respond quickly to bugs, sometimes even creating new SVN's when there are problems with the weekly build. I commend all the hard work these folks put into this product and look forward in the future to making my own contributions (looking at developing a Netflix plugin.)

Can't you trade your TWC box in for an HD box with firewire? I had one a few years back when I had MCE & TWC...

BTW, Did you see that DirecTv has dropped their tuner all together?? They evidently didnt want to wait until Windows 7. There was a huge buzz about it on TBG a few weeks back. Poor guys...

darkmar

October 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    WileECoyote,

I have also working SageTV solution with dual HD-PVR in WHS setup. Nevertheless, I got interested to try MP once Gary introduced his HD-PVR support. I followed your conversation with Gary to establish the dual tuner reliability. Finally after endleslly tweaking my system I was able to get almost reliable system on RC3. Once I moved to RC4 I never managed to restore that dual HD-PVR reliability. It is working very well if used it with one tuner.
    I'd appreciate if you have any pointers for me to setup 2 HD-PVR as I assume that you have working solution.
    For a blaster solution I am using USB-UIRT that appears to be working very well IR Server Suite. I am pretty sure that also supports Hauppauge Blaster.

ghostlobster

Portal Member
    July 8, 2008
    Regarding the IR Blaster Suite, I can not get it working with the Hauppauge IR Blaster, and I've seen others commenting about the same thing. When I go into the config, there are no IR ports listed for the device and of course, all tests fail.

I've stumbled across a newer version of BlasterServer which supports the HD-PVR IR blaster and that appears to work. Except, you can not differentiate between tuners as far as I can tell.

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    WileECoyote,

I have also working SageTV solution with dual HD-PVR in WHS setup. Nevertheless, I got interested to try MP once Gary introduced his HD-PVR support. I followed your conversation with Gary to establish the dual tuner reliability. Finally after endleslly tweaking my system I was able to get almost reliable system on RC3. Once I moved to RC4 I never managed to restore that dual HD-PVR reliability. It is working very well if used it with one tuner.
    I'd appreciate if you have any pointers for me to setup 2 HD-PVR as I assume that you have working solution.
    For a blaster solution I am using USB-UIRT that appears to be working very well IR Server Suite. I am pretty sure that also supports Hauppauge Blaster.

Hey Darkmar,
    I am currently running RC4 of the TV-Server and RC3 on the clients. Like you said, I had a whale of a time trying to get RC4 (client & TV-Server) to work correctly, so I gave up and returned to RC3 (client only.) Both tuners are working very reliably, recording and viewing... What specifically is not working? You start one tuner and the other one wont tune? Does it give you the 'Unable to Start Graph' message? If so, you may have to either roll back your client to RC3 or wait and hopefully get the 1.0 release soon...

darkmar

October 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I am going to to do what you suggested which is to try RC3 as a client. I simply experience high level unreliability. It is sometimes working, then the other time is simply hanging. I can see that on the server site both tuners might be in use and at the same time on a client I am getting an error. I can't tell you exact error as am away from a computer. Even on the server site when I test not always 2 tuners can be utilized at the same time...
    I am receiving the same type of high quality picture as on Sagetv. I wish only only that the reliability would be as good. I like sagetv but I consider presently MP the most rich and complete media application. Only if I could take a full advantage of it... Hopefuly, that mentioned above enhanced code (finger crossed)wil be included in the final MP release. Too bad that Europeans have no demand for HD-PVR...

Dale#1976

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Regarding the IR Blaster Suite, I can not get it working with the Hauppauge IR Blaster, and I've seen others commenting about the same thing. When I go into the config, there are no IR ports listed for the device and of course, all tests fail.

I've stumbled across a newer version of BlasterServer which supports the HD-PVR IR blaster and that appears to work. Except, you can not differentiate between tuners as far as I can tell.

Can you point me to the 'newer version of BlasterServer'? I've been looking for a blaster solution for a while now. I've got only one HD-PVR so this should work!!

Thanks!!

Dale

antonehenry

Portal Pro
    June 30, 2008
    I'm not sure why this has been completely unsuccessful for me. One day for 6 hours I had video running in MP. Then for no reason whatsoever it failed. A month later and I'm still reinstalling stuff everyday. Completely clean installs of RC 4 for TV Server and Client have not worked. In fact, after I install this plugin, TVServer won't start TVService won't start.

What the hell would cause that? =[ I just want this function so badly cause it will complete my HTPC.

2008-12-20 18:55:15.612193 [TVService]: TVService v0.9.4.20955 is starting up on Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
    2008-12-20 18:55:15.643193 [TVService]: Controller: Initilizing TVServer
    2008-12-20 18:55:15.643193 [TVService]: Controller: 1 init attempt
    2008-12-20 18:55:15.645193 [PowerEventThread]: TV service PowerEventThread message loop is running
    2008-12-20 18:56:35.790193 [SetupTv]: ---- SetupTv v0.9.4.20955 is starting up on Windows Vista (Service Pack 1) ----
    2008-12-20 18:56:35.792193 [SetupTv]: ---- check connection with database ----
    2008-12-20 18:56:36.053193 [SetupTv]: ---- check if database needs to be updated/created ----
    2008-12-20 18:56:36.522193 [SetupTv]: ---- upgrade database schema ----
    2008-12-20 18:56:36.524193 [SetupTv]: ---- check if tvservice is running ----
    2008-12-20 18:56:40.550193 [SetupTv]: ---- tvservice is not running ----
    2008-12-20 18:56:43.110193 [SetupTv]: ---- start tvservice----
    2008-12-20 18:56:44.817193 [TVService]: TVService v0.9.4.20955 is starting up on Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
    2008-12-20 18:56:44.822193 [TVService]: Controller: Initilizing TVServer
    2008-12-20 18:56:44.823193 [TVService]: Controller: 1 init attempt
    2008-12-20 18:56:44.824193 [PowerEventThread]: TV service PowerEventThread message loop is running

and that's where it lands. tvservice never runs

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    I'm not sure why this has been completely unsuccessful for me. One day for 6 hours I had video running in MP. Then for no reason whatsoever it failed. A month later and I'm still reinstalling stuff everyday. Completely clean installs of RC 4 for TV Server and Client have not worked. In fact, after I install this plugin, TVServer won't start TVService won't start.

What the hell would cause that? =[ I just want this function so badly cause it will complete my HTPC.

I would try the builds from post #98 and go from there. That was the first build that works with multiple tuners, and has probably been the most stable (for me anyway.) If that works, then you can try to upgrade your TV-Server to the RC4 update, but I would proceed cautiously with the clients (I have had issues with the RC4 client.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom