Inputdevice Manager for MP2 (1 Viewer)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Generally I was never a big fan of the input manager structure :whistle:. You select first a key and then can see the actions you can map, without seeing the actual mapping.
    More intuitive would be the vice versa behaviour. You see the list with the current mapped keys (so user can also check it only) and by selecting an entry you can map another key. What do you think? Would it be a huge effort to change it into this direction?

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    @henso, can you reproduce following?
    Yes, it works by waiting for a key press on the input device you want to use for mapping, like say a keyboard or a remote. If you use the keyboard for navigation it will be used as input device because you just pressed a key on it. Because only keyboard like device can be used the mouse does not trigger this and it is therefore waiting for a key press on a keyboard.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, it works by waiting for a key press on the input device you want to use for mapping, like say a keyboard or a remote. If you use the keyboard for navigation it will be used as input device because you just pressed a key on it. Because only keyboard like device can be used the mouse does not trigger this and it is therefore waiting for a key press on a keyboard.
    Ok thanks, it's an intended auto detection, which makes sense :)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    To make more clear what I mean a quick sketch how I would like to make the start screen. Selecting an item offeres the chance to select the device in a dialog, then you can press the to be mapped key in another dialog with the 5 sec. timer.
    upload_2018-6-2_0-21-7.png

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    To make more clear what I mean a quick sketch how I would like to make the start screen
    Wouldn't that make it hard to see what is currently mapped? You would have to scroll through all items just to find the key/screen mapped to X? Also you can map to key combinations and map the same key/screen to multiple devices. There device would also always be "Keyboard" because that is the only type of HID type supported I think. The is a name but it's like "keyboard_16", so it's not really helpful.
    EDIT: You can also map the same key/screen to multiple device keys.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Wouldn't that make it hard to see what is currently mapped? You would have to scroll through all items just to find the key/screen mapped to X? Also you can map to key combinations and map the same key/screen to multiple devices. There device would also always be "Keyboard" because that is the only type of HID type supported I think. The is a name but it's like "keyboard_16", so it's not really helpful.
    EDIT: You can also map the same key/screen to multiple device keys.
    Ok, then the Current Device won’t make sense. I never needed the input manager yet, as my remote is fully supported and I’m fine
    At least it’s possible to see the the overview of keys, screens and with some navigation mapping’s, currently it’s not possible.
    The best would be of course to have two screens, one for “keys” and one for “screens” and you see the mapped key next to each list item. Probably it could also fit into one screen, not so sure.

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Probably it could also fit into one screen, not so sure.
    Generally everything you describe is possible with some changes. I'm just not sure about the usability. Would it possible to create the view like a table so the currently mapped keys can be shown in a different column i.e. column 1: key name, column 2: mapped keys? This would keep the overview and then it could be used like you describe (select to change). Maybe there should also be a column with a "Clear" button.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Generally everything you describe is possible with some changes. I'm just not sure about the usability. Would it possible to create the view like a table so the currently mapped keys can be shown in a different column i.e. column 1: key name, column 2: mapped keys? This would keep the overview and then it could be used like you describe (select to change). Maybe there should also be a column with a "Clear" button.
    Should be possible, something like in the Schedules or EPG grid. I would have to create a new liststyle, but that is very easy. A clear button is also a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom