Installation Setup Failed - Error 0x80070643 (1 Viewer)

Snakes

Portal Member
August 23, 2012
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Set your cursor at the very top of the Regedit list, then open the search dialogue and start search. If you find something delete the whole key, then continue the search by pressing <F3>. Repeat until nothing is found anymore.
Thanks. I tried that and the only item found when searching for "Media" (without inverted commas) was the WMP (Windows Media Player, I presume).

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please rerun the install, but this time use MP2-Setup-Logging.bat, then zip and post the log file that it generated.

Snakes

Portal Member
    August 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Please rerun the install, but this time use MP2-Setup-Logging.bat, then zip and post the log file that it generated.
    Here it is. I have uploaded the zip file. Is that how to "post the log file"?

Attachments

• MP2-Setup_000_MainPackage.7z
      30.4 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ar you trying to install MP2 on another drive?
    MSI (c) (AC:94) [09:47:10:694]: Dir (target): Key: TARGETDIR , Object: D:\
    If yes, can you do a standard setup on C:\ instead? The app itself is not taking much space.

The issue seems related to a wrong path. Can you elaborate on what exactly you are doing?

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    the installation fails because of an failed CutomAction PrepareXmlPathVariables:
    Action 09:47:21: PrepareXmlPathVariables.
    Action start 09:47:21: PrepareXmlPathVariables.
    MSI (s) (30:48) [09:47:21:210]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIAB7C.tmp, Entrypoint: PrepareXmlPathVariables
    SFXCA: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIAB7C.tmp-\
    SFXCA: Binding to CLR version v4.0.30319
    Calling custom action CustomActions!CustomActions.CustomActions.PrepareXmlPathVariables
    Exception thrown by custom action:
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentException: String cannot be of zero length.
    Parameter name: oldValue
    at System.String.ReplaceInternal(String oldValue, String newValue)
    at System.String.Replace(String oldValue, String newValue)
    at CustomActions.CustomActions.PrepareXmlPathVariables(Session session, String cs, IEnumerable`1 pathLabels)
    at CustomActions.CustomActions.PrepareXmlPathVariables(Session session)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object parameters, Object arguments)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)
    at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.CustomActionProxy.InvokeCustomAction(Int32 sessionHandle, String entryPoint, IntPtr remotingDelegatePtr)
    CustomAction PrepareXmlPathVariables returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    Action ended 09:47:23: PrepareXmlPathVariables. Return value 3.
    Action ended 09:47:23: INSTALL. Return value 3.
    Return value 3 means a fatal error and that's why the installation is marked as failed.

This custom action should normally be called only if MP2 was already installed. Do you have an Team MediaPortal directory in your program data directory?

Snakes

Portal Member
    August 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Do you have an Team MediaPortal directory in your program data directory?
    Yes I do have such a folder (dated 2015!). I must have installed before. However, I deleted that folder and have just tried again with the same failure so maybe that is not causing the issue.

Can you elaborate on what exactly you are doing?
    I have no idea why it is trying path D:. This is the process I am following:-

1. I went to the MediaPortal 2 download website (incidentally, initially I downloaded from a different site that gave me the option between MediaPortal 1 (?) and MediaPortal 2. This page only gave me the Summer '15 update - but the results below were the same).

MediaPortal 2 Download Screen.jpg

2 I downloaded this zip file and unzipped it in my library

Download Library.jpg

3 The file structure is

Download Library MP2 folder.jpg

4 I have tried both these options by just following the sequence as shown on this page 1.0 to 1.6 which is where I get the following splash screens

Wizard.jpg

Setup Failed.jpg

I have then posted the log file resulting from the failure using MP2 Setup and MP2 Setup Logging.

Ar you trying to install MP2 on another drive?
    No, I am not. But given the error feedback I then tried a Custom Install (instead of a standard Client and Server)

I checked the paths as shown here

Client.jpg

Server.jpg

ServiceMonitor.jpg

LogCollector.jpg

....and the resultant log files from running MP2 Setup and then MP2 Setup Logging are, respectively

Attachments

• MediaPortal_2_20170817121725 Setup.7z
      1.9 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am quite certain that as long as you can't perform a Windows Update, you won't be able to install MP2 either. Try to solve the Windows Update situation first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom