Installation Setup Failed - Error 0x80070643 (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Are you able to run Windows Update without errors?
    Apparently not!
    I see from the first post that you are running Windows 7. Possibly you know this already, but Microsoft changed the update process incompatibly in 2016 (or maybe even 2015!), with the result that Windows 7 systems no longer update successfully.

To solve this, you have to download several KB (Knowledge Base) fixes and install them manually on your system. Once this is done, Windows 7 can understand the new update interface, and subsequent updates should proceed normally. I have done this on the laptop that I purchased a few months ago (the laptop was shipped with Windows 10 pre-installed, but I decided to install Windows 7 in a dual-boot arrangement).

Looking at my notes, I see that you need to download and install these fixes (in the following order):

(1) KB3020369
    (2) KB3125574
    (3) KB3172605
    (4) KB3205402

Number (4) is a composite KB fix that consists of four other KB fixes. On my system, only two of them were applicable: KB3210131 and KB 3210139. That might be the same for your system, or you might need all of them, or a different subset.

Other users who have installed these fixes have reported very long installation times (hours!). My system has an SSD, and in total the above fixes took only 11 minutes to install. (KB3125574 took 9 minutes; the others each took less than one minute.) You can get the fixes by typing in the KB numbers (one at a time!) on this page:

Microsoft Update Catalog

Once you have installed those fixes, you should run Windows Update in the normal way, and it will then find a multitude of other updates to download and install, but this time the updates should succeed.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Snakes

Portal Member
    August 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    I see from the first post that you are running Windows 7. Possibly you know this already, but Microsoft changed the update process incompatibly in 2016 (or maybe even 2015!), with the result that Windows 7 systems no longer update successfully.

To solve this, you have to download several KB (Knowledge Base) fixes and install them manually on your system

Thanks so much for all the time and trouble you went to to help me. In the meantime, I had done a search and found that one solution to the Windows Update Failure condition was THIS
    System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821)

Having run that I successfully updated an optional Windows update. Great, I thought. All sorted. But, no. Once again the MP2 installer failed with the same error.

Has anyone figured out another possible cause from either of the 2 log files I posted?

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry but you are going to have to explain in a step-by-step fashion how to create one of those please.
    You already did it. When you open the zipped setup, there are two files: the setup.exe and a batch file. Please run the batch file with admin privileges to create a log file with more details.

Snakes

Portal Member
    August 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    OK, this is what I think you want. I did this first:-

Library.jpg

and then I did this:-

Zipped.jpg

Here they are....

Did I get that right?

Attachments

• MP2-Setup_000_MainPackage.7z
      27.2 KB
    • MP2-Setup.7z
      2.1 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did I get that right?
    Well, partly ;). You are trying to install Summer '15 :(, which is not useful since you wouldn't b able to upgrade to a more recent version later.

Please make sure that there are no MediaPortal directories in C:\Program Files (x86) nor under C:\ProgramData. Then run MP2-Setup-logging.bat and post the MainPackage log file

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom