Installation Setup Failed - Error 0x80070643 (3 Viewers)

Snakes

Portal Member
August 23, 2012
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
I am sure you're right but it's a big step if only to be able to install MP2. If there were another way it would be good.

Snakes

Portal Member
August 23, 2012
Home Country
OK, if repairing the system is the only realistic way to be able to install MP2 then I'll migrate to Windows 10.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    OK, if repairing the system is the only realistic way to be able to install MP2 then I'll migrate to Windows 10.
    I agree with @HTPCSourcer that you need to re-install Windows. But which Windows?

(1) If you still have your Windows Vista DVD, you could re-install Vista and run MP1. I am not sure whether you could obtain Vista updates any more (since Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft), but if this is for a single-use HTPC system, absence of Vista updates might not matter.

(2) Obtain a Windows 7 DVD. These can be purchased most easily from Ebay, although you need to be careful to avoid disreputable sellers who sell cloned DVDs that use the same activation code. These are typically the cheap sellers (£5-£10 for a DVD). There are also sellers of full-retail versions, complete with original packaging, but these are more expensive (£60-£80).

(3) Obtain Windows 10 and install that. You can download an install ISO from Microsoft and use it for up to 30 days before needing to purchase an activation code.

I currently use MP1 on Windows Vista, as this is still a supported combination for MP1 (just -- Windows XP is not supported by MP1 any more). I have plans to build a new HTPC, but that will use Windows 7 (I already have the DVD for it).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Snakes

Portal Member
    August 23, 2012
    Home Country
    I do have the original Windows Vista Home Premium DVD. I also have the product key for the upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. But that was done in conjunction with the Microsoft upgrade process so I have no DVD for that. Would I still be able to upgrade from Vista to W7 with that key? The alternative is to go straight for W10 but I was wanting to retain the Windows Media Centre program if MP2 fails to deliver.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The alternative is to go straight for W10 but I was wanting to retain the Windows Media Centre program if MP2 fails to deliver.
    If you can't install on a different partition you may consider buying a cheap SSD (128 GB is approx. 50 EUR) and do a completely fresh install on a new drive. In that case disconnect the existing drive before installing or you may end up with undesired interconnections on the other drive.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I also have the product key for the upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. But that was done in conjunction with the Microsoft upgrade process so I have no DVD for that.
    You could try downloading a Windows 7 ISO image from Microsoft (I have not tried this, so I don't know whether it actually works):

Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

You have to type in your activation code in order to get the download, so it may or may not accept the activation code that you have. Still, no harm in trying. :)

Snakes

Portal Member
    August 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks CyberSimian. I do have the ISO image as I have had numerous issues with that OS over the years and have had to make a few repairs with the IOS but they have never fully and totally sorted the issues - hence me building a separate new PC with Windows 10 to run alongside it. The old W7 machine is used largely to watch films and TV programs, via a projector, using, for the latter, Windows Media Centre as the TV media program. However, what prompted me to investigate MP2 was the fact that the EPG (electronic programme guide) of the WMC is no longer supported by Microsoft and there appears to be no reliable replacement that will work with it. If I could find one that would work in conjunction with WMC I'd be a happy man! Without that solution I'll either go back to a fresh install with Vista (if I can use the product key to upgrade to my W7) or a fresh W10 OS. The suggestion of a W10 OS on a separate drive to test it out sounds promising.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    However, what prompted me to investigate MP2 was the fact that the EPG (electronic programme guide) of the WMC is no longer supported by Microsoft and there appears to be no reliable replacement that will work with it. If I could find one that would work in conjunction with WMC I'd be a happy man!
    I used WMC for five years, before eventually deciding that MP provided a better match for the functionality that I wanted from a DVR. I left WMC before the problems with the EPG started.

Although the Microsoft EPG is now very erratic, there is one alternative that a number of UK residents use, and which is reputed to be very good. I have not used it myself, and so cannot comment from personal experience. The tool that you need is the enthusiast-created "EPG123":

View forum - EPG123

"EPG123" provides the glue that enables WMC to interface to the "Schedules Direct" EPG service. The demerit is that "Schedules Direct" is not free. I think that a one-year subscription is about $20 for American subscribers, which probably becomes £15-£20 for UK subscribers.

I used to purchase a weekly programme-listings magazine, specifically "Radio Times" (other listings magazines are available). I changed to a different listings magazine when the price of "Radio Times" went above £2 per issue. But, 52 weeks x £2 per issue = £104 per year. By comparison, £20 per year for "Schedules Direct" seems like good value.

I think that "Schedules Direct" offer a free one-week trial. So you could try it with WMC first, to see if the subscription is worth paying. But I would recommend getting EPG123 setup before registering for the trial, so that you don't have to waste any of your precious 7 trial days trying to get EPG123 to work.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Is this the "handle"/name of a contributor that you are inviting to comment?
    Yes, @osre implemented the stop processes action via named pipes.

Unfortunately, I do not have the necessary knowledge to begin to be able to do this. However, as we have established, I can follow explicit instructions so am willing to do that if it is possible to come up with an idiot's guide!
    Debugging on your system would be a bit tricky, as I would have to either write you all steps how to set a dev environment or do it remotely using team viewer.
    Providing a custom build would be better, but as you wrote you had/have issues with your OS, I would also recommend to do a fresh install. It will be the fastest way to get your system and MP2 working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom