IPTV M3U from http (1 Viewer)

Craig Marshall

January 8, 2018
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Nervesagent,

Apologies for a potentially daft question, but how do I download the m3u in a browser please?!

I have a subscription with an IPTV provider and I receive an M3U playlist URL from him which I'm trying (and failing!) to work with MP. I have been using it for months in IPTV Simple Client within Kodi, however it is without an EPG. I have tried to create an XML file with Webgrab++ and point to this within Kodi but this isn't working, even though the channel ID names are identical. Anyway, that's Kodi, and this is a MP forum..... so I decided to dip my toe into MP for that reason: in order to hopefully map the webgrab++ XMLTV EPG to my M3U URL channels within MP. Am I talking nonsense please or is that theoretically possible?!

Thanks in advance!

joEhSuper

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2011
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Sorry I don't understand....
    what's the Problem?
    1. you can't get run your IPTV Channels or
    2. you can't get EPG for your IPTV Channels
    3. or both ;)

Craig Marshall

January 8, 2018
    Home Country
    Hi,

Apologies for the confusion. The problem was I have an M3U URL but yesterday I didn't know how to "extract" the channel links etc. I have since learnt I can do this by opening the URL in notepad++ - so that's one problem solved! :LOL:

I now basically want to stream from these channels in MP along with a fully mapped EPG.

Reading above the next step seems to be to use the iptv scanning function to add the channels.
    Download the m3u in a browser, then use tvserver iptv scanning to add the channels.

Is there a link to a help article please which might explain how to use the scanning function?

Thanks again

joEhSuper

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2011
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    how to use the scanning function?

Channel Scan
    1. Copy your m3u --> C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\TuningParameters\dvbip
    2. Start TV-Server configuration
    3. WIKI:
      Server Setup
      Scan DVB - IP
    To be sure your m3u is "compatibe" for the scan in MP-TV-Configuration (once I had some Problems with that) --> Open it in VLC MediaPlayer and save the loaded playlist in new file. I think it's best to choose <m3u8>-format and than just rename to <*.m3u>.

EPG
    I don't think that IPTV streams also provide EPG Data :unsure: So you have to get it from other source. best to look here --> EPG-Buddy a new EPG Tool with easy usage.

Hope this points you to the right direction;)

Craig Marshall

January 8, 2018
    Home Country
    Great stuff cheers. I've saved the m3u8 and tried to scan for channels selecting the virtual tuner but no joy. Are you ready for maybe the dumbest question yet?! Is this going to work without a physical tuner card?!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Is this going to work without a physical tuner card?!
    You absolutely do not need a physical tuner card. However, you need to be aware that m3u and m3u8 are different.

TV Server's built in virtual tuner only supports m3u and (sorry, technical term) MPEG 2 transport streams. In other words: it doesn't support just any old internet stream. It's intended for actual IPTV - in other words, [usually/often] TV supplied with your internet connection by your internet service provider (ISP).

There is another community-developed/supported virtual tuner here:
    MERGING MediaPortal Url Source Splitter & IPTV Filter

This other tuner supports some m3u8 stream sources. However, you're still constrained to MPEG 2 transport streams in the TV Server world. Most m3u8 streams are not MPEG 2 transport streams. Therefore I'm sorry to say that I think it's highly unlikely that you're going to get your streams working through TV Server even with the other tuner.

What's more likely to work is MediaPortal's OnlineVideos plugin. The plugin uses the community-developed virtual tuner, but without the constraints of TV Server. In other words: more streams will be compatible (because they don't have to be MPEG 2 transport streams), but in exchange you lose the ability to view and record the streams as if they were TV channels.

Craig Marshall

January 8, 2018
    Home Country
    Ah ok cheers. Thanks for the heads up anyway before i spend fruitless hours trying to get the playlist to work with the other tuner.

Just out of interest, what format do most of the m3U8 streams utilise? Who knows, maybe some of this will sink in one day...!

Thanks again.

barry burnett

Portal Member
    August 4, 2019
    Home Country
    hi guys can I ask a slightly separate question here.?
    I have scanned and mapped an m3u playlist and have full epg in MP1 however i want to know which xml file to use in an external player for epg population.
    I have used tvguide.xml but this only gives me SOME of the guide data.!! Is this normal.?

Users who are viewing this thread