Is MP the BEST HTPC Program? (1 Viewer)

Is MP the BEST HTPC Program?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Definitely check out GotAllMedia (GotTVPvr). The timeshifting seems rock solid.

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
nazimm said:
BeyondTV: interface clean but not all that user friendly. TV does not work

Please elaborate on this. I've been running BTV 3 for over a year, and just upgraded to BTV 4 and I've had no problems at all. It even does timeshifting and recording using my SW card without any kind of hiccup at all (which I had with MP).

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Of course its the best, for me there isnt even any competition. Why is that you say? Because i use DVB-C tuners to watch pay-tv, and they dont work with MCE or any other real HTPC programs (that i have found anyway).

But apart from that, the open source aspect is important for me. I have a M.Sc. in computer science, and i like just being able to fix bugs as i encounter them instead of hoping that some company that doesnt give a damn does.

aasmund Nordal

Portal Pro
    June 20, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I have tried meedio, sage tv, mce,,,
    I don`t remember them all, but meedio was much slower to swich channels so I used mediaportal.
    My friend installed MCE on his computer and I hated it. Looks like its made so even pets can use it.

Now I dont use the tv-card becouse it suck's when it's bad signal.
    I like mediaportal becouse of it's features and support :D

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Is MP the best? No.

I think the question that should be asked is: Does MP have the potential to be the best?

For that question I would say "yes"

Watching MP development from the design side, I can see that there are still a lot of things developers and the community in general can do better, but for the most part, we have a strong foundation that we have to build on.

Project organization, developers, tweaking and bug fixes, documentation, etc... all of which we as a community can improve on to make MP a great program - and it will be later on.

It just isn't there quite yet.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    gxtracker said:
    Is MP the best? No.

I think the question that should be asked is: Does MP have the potential to be the best?

It just isn't there quite yet.

I guess it depends on what your needs are. Im not aware of any other HTPC program where i can use (dual) DVB-C tuners, neither gallm or MCE support even one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread