[Finished] LAV-filters as the default ones? (1 Viewer)

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If MP2 is being started cleanly it chooses the first filters it founds (or maybe system defaults?) currently.

Should we check whether LAV-Filters are available and if so choose them as default?

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I would even go as far as installing them with MP2 optionally (like we do with MP1 now). Too many users don't know what a codec really is, and why MP2 can't play a file out of the box (like other HTPC softwares which include ffmpeg in some form of build-in player).

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Each 3rd party installation added directly to the MSI is only a workaround, sadly I was not able to continue the work on the WPF based bootstrapper (installation GUI). So this would be nice and if we do the changes I will take care of adding the other workaround.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thought about it again: Might not be a good idea to integrate it in the installer using the workaround we do currently with Dokan, because Dokan is bundled and LAV should be downloaded from the web during the installation so that we ensue to download latest version. But this is exactly what the bootstrapper (Burn) is for. And I also won't add another crappy workaround into the MSI to download LAV.

I'll definitely keep this in mind for the moment we have finally a proper bootstrapper. I plan to have it done until the first MedaiPortal 2 final/stable ;)

Neverthless MP2 needs to prefer LAV if it is installed, no matter if we install it or not. Imagine removing the data dir, in thise case the client should prefer LAV again. So it should not be up to the installer to install LAV and set the filter settings only once during installation.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Good idea to preselect LAV codec, this filter brings the best user experience on fresh installations.

If the codec would be missing it won't cause any issue, as we only tell the DirectShow engine what it should prefer.

The VideoSettings cannot use a CodecInfo as default inside SettingsAttribute, but we can implement it using the getters. I will add a branch for this very soon (nearly done).

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'll create a Custom Action for the WIX installer that will check if LAV is installed and when not download LAV from our install server from a static url (so we can decide ourselves which version is stable) and silently install it.

mats_o

Portal Member
    September 18, 2011
    I'll create a Custom Action for the WIX installer that will check if LAV is installed and when not download LAV from our install server from a static url (so we can decide ourselves which version is stable) and silently install it.

I think that is thr right way to do it. Keep the version control "inhouse" so that MP2 has a version that is good for MP2. Latest isn't always greatest

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Last edited:

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Just to make sure:
    MP2 does not include any kind of codecs - even like Monogram AAC? (Never used MP2 for TV.. If I do, I need a HE-AAC capable soluiton... this goes for every DVB-T user in Norway, and probably lots of other countries).

Users who are viewing this thread