[WiP] madVR support in MP1 (9 Viewers)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Seems I had forgotten my password for Doom 9 and after resetting it screwed up an attempt to post a question in the Madvr forum.:oops:
    So then decided to play with it further and have found a fix.:)
    In the screenshots below the first profile is the failing one for Win 10 2004 which worked with 1909 and earlier and the second one works with 2004 perfectly again.
    Not sure why Win 10 2004 does not like the first profile but happy to have fixed it.

madvr3D-1.jpgmadvr3D-2.jpg

ThoW1982

Portal Member
    November 6, 2010
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

I managed to get Geforce 3070 which replaced my Radeon 580.

I have it connected to Samsung Q70R. With Radeon 580 I haven't had any issues with madvr in SDR or HDR (all perfect in my opinion).

It looks like HDR with Geforce 3070 is hard to do due to driver issues (?) I have tried many different drivers for 3070 but on the ones that I can get HDR to work I get the following issues:

1) Switch on Mediaportal 1.27
    2) Play SDR content - all good
    3) Play HDR content - all good; HDR switches on on the Q70R
    4) Play SDR content - all colors disturbed, Q70R reports HDR off

example.jpg

5) Play HDR content - all good

If I restart Mediaportal - SDR is OK until I play HDR, then it starts again. Basically once I play HDR I need to restart Mediaportal to play SDR content.
    I can't imagine myself not using Mediaportal (been using more than 10 years), so if I can't solve this I will return Geforce 3070 and put back Radeon 580 (I like Mediaportal that much).

My settings:

LAV-video-2.jpg

Same SDR playback issues after HDR also happen on DXVA2 (copy back) and DXVA2 Native.

Madvr settings:

madvr-1.jpg

madvr-2.jpg

madvr-3.jpg

madvr-4.jpg

madvr-5.jpg

madvr-6.jpg

madvr-7.jpg

how many video frames are presented in advance = "1" sorts out micro stutter on Geforce RTX GPUs according to some posts on Doom9's Forum - Powered by vBulletin. Generally people say that they manage to get the HDR playback sorted with MPC in full-screen fine in Geforce RTX GPUs but Mediaportal is different...

Can anyone help me pls? I'm guessing here but it seems like madvr is not properly disabled after playing HDR in Mediaportal on Nvidia card? Or maybe some madvr settings need adjusting? I have spent close to 12 hours on this but can't solve this issue :(

I have tried many times to export logs using MediaPortal WatchDog but every time I try to play HDR content with it running colors are washed (no proper HDR displayed) and then SDR is working correctly.

If i just fire up Mediaportal and play HDR then it's OK but if I play SDR all content colors are disturbed until Mediaportal restart.

Getting desperate here as I have now less than 12 days to return the card to the seller. Very willing to donate if this issue with SDR colors after playing HDR via passthrough HDR to display is fixable.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I understand how you feel, but this will definitely not be fixed within 12 days, that I can tell you for sure.
    It needs a lot of investigation and troubleshooting and (most likely) code adjustments. Not every developer has a HDR capable device, so that also makes troubleshooting difficult.

If you want to play on the safe side, you can return the card and buy it again once this is fixed.

bilis4

Portal Pro
    February 14, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    @ThoW1982 Its not Mediaportal related. It is Nvidia related. Same thing happens to me with kodi also. For me last working nvidia driver is 446.14 but i doubt it will suit you, cause the driver is older than your card.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    The problem to compar mpchc with kodi or mediaportal, is the fact than mpchc is only videoplayer, nothing else.

The best way, would to use mpchc as renderer for MP as API interface, but mpchc is more young than mp, i think.

Envoyé de mon LG-H870S en utilisant Tapatalk

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @ThoW1982 Its not Mediaportal related. It is Nvidia related. Same thing happens to me with kodi also. For me last working nvidia driver is 446.14 but i doubt it will suit you, cause the driver is older than your card.
    I would have to disagree with that, since MPC-HC + madVR with the latest Nvidia drivers (from 7/1/2021) is a perfectly working combination.

bilis4

Portal Pro
    February 14, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I would have to disagree with that, since MPC-HC + madVR with the latest Nvidia drivers (from 7/1/2021) is a perfectly working combination.

I have not tested last drivers yet. But since 446.14 was ok for me and after that was not, i came to the conclusion that nvidia changed something in the drivers.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Have you tried setting up MPC-HC to use external filters only and selecting LAV as the only external filter? That way you will be using the same setup as MP. Just in case it is something in LAV/settings.
    Screenshots below are for MPC-BE but should be the same for -HC
    lav1.jpglav2.jpg

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have not tested last drivers yet. But since 446.14 was ok for me and after that was not, i came to the conclusion that nvidia changed something in the drivers.
    I also recall that version as being a very good version. The problem is that there are many variables naming MediaPortal, Nvidia and not to forget the windows updates. I always use MPC-HC as comparising and that has been working really well. Lately i was so fed up with the issues that i even used MPC-HC for playback....

Have you tried setting up MPC-HC to use external filters only and selecting LAV as the only external filter? That way you will be using the same setup as MP. Just in case it is something in LAV/settings.
    Yes, I have MPC-HC setup with LAV as external filters and madVR as DShow Video output ;)

You can read more about my testing from yesterday and my findings about the (most likely) root cause of this issue in this post. ;)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I stand corrected.... I had to test it again, and indeed, 446.14 is working for me also from a few tests.
    Need to see if it holds, but i recall it was having issues sticking to 12bit for 23.976 and i often had to correct that in Nvidia Configuration.
    But so far, so good!
    Now i'm still baffled why the latest drivers work fine in windowed mode and why MPC-HC, lav filters and madVR combo is working without issues...
    But TNX for the driver hint ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom