[WiP] madVR support in MP1 (8 Viewers)

bilis4

Portal Pro
February 14, 2007
Athens
Home Country
Greece Greece
I stand corrected.... I had to test it again, and indeed, 446.14 is working for me also from a few tests.
Need to see if it holds, but i recall it was having issues sticking to 12bit for 23.976 and i often had to correct that in Nvidia Configuration.
But so far, so good!
Now i'm still baffled why the latest drivers work fine in windowed mode and why MPC-HC, lav filters and madVR combo is working without issues...
But TNX for the driver hint ;)

More info here and madshi's reply.

el Filou

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    It seems like the problem is specific to NVIDIA and has two causes:

1. Some time ago (can't remember the exact version, but can probably be found when searching this thread: AMD, Intel and Nvidia driver issues and last recommended version - Doom9's Forum) NVIDIA changed the way their private HDR API works and now says the developers who were using the API the old way should change their code (source: madshi, from link in previous post).

2. As a workaround of point 1 for apps that were using the private API "the old way" (like madVR), NVIDIA implemented a 'trick' in the driver that detects when those apps display HDR content, and makes it transparently switch to HDR (source: Considerations for Playing Games with HDR Enabled | NVIDIA). What seems to be happening, is that the driver is detecting when apps that use madVR start a HDR video and it switches to HDR mode, but it not always detects when HDR content is not displayed anymore. For example, with MPC-HC people have said that when they display any GUI element like seek bar or menu, the driver temporarily switches to SDR and then to HDR again when the GUI element goes away. The test by @HomeY where opening Task Manager over MP temporarily switched back to SDR would have the same explanation.
    This is just my intuition on what may be happening, but I think as MediaPortal uses a 3D GUI and not 2D Windows GUI elements like MPC, the NVIDIA driver doesn't correctly detect when the app is not showing HDR content anymore, and that's why it's stuck in HDR mode after madVR is used once to display HDR content (i.e. the driver probably thinks MediaPortal is acting more like a game where everything is in HDR, than a media player that switches back and forth depending on content).

The definitive solution if you follow what NVIDIA recommends (source: madshi) would be for madVR to change its code to use the "new way" to switch to HDR, but madshi isn't sure it won't impact quality as he thinks this involves the OS HDR API and it might not be lossless.
    As long as there is no change to madVR, there may be no other solution with MediaPortal except using old NVIDIA drivers (so no compatibility with newest cards), except if MP devs find some way to make the NVIDIA driver 'guess' that HDR content is not displayed anymore and it should switch back to SDR.

giravolt

February 11, 2021
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello, i'm french and a user of madvr with my pc and a sony projector 590ES...really happy but please help me , i have something i don't understand and no one seems to know here in France.
    I 've just reinstalled everything on my computer (big bug with windows) and since that, the settings in MADVR's shortcuts concerning SOURCE CONTRAST and SOURCE SATURATON and SOURCE BRIGHTNESS don't not work anymore in HDR 4K, but they do work well on 1080P sources. I am really sure that before the reinstallation they worked , i used them really often to ajust the color and brighness on HDR movies.

Who would have an idea of the cause please? Maybe it comes from something else, from the version or settings of NVIDIA?
    Thanks in advance.
    Below is the shortcut page in madvr

giravolt

February 11, 2021
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello, many thanks for the really quick answer!! I will try that and tell you!! but i think i had an newer version than 446 while it was working.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello, i'm french and a user of madvr with my pc and a sony projector 590ES...really happy but please help me , i have something i don't understand and no one seems to know here in France.
    I 've just reinstalled everything on my computer (big bug with windows) and since that, the settings in MADVR's shortcuts concerning SOURCE CONTRAST and SOURCE SATURATON and SOURCE BRIGHTNESS don't not work anymore in HDR 4K, but they do work well on 1080P sources. I am really sure that before the reinstallation they worked , i used them really often to ajust the color and brighness on HDR movies.

No clue too :( and the picture is not available.
    Try to see if with MPC-HC / MPC-BE it works or not, it seems to be more a madVR setup than MP but did you try the same madVR version, I know that there is some beta version (old) but that works better than official (if I'm not wrong)

el Filou

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    @giravolt Are you maybe in HDR passthrough mode instead of tone map mode?
    The source controls work here with madVR test build 113 in HDR tone map mode.

el Filou

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi everyone who's still following this thread.

I don't know if it's the right place to ask this, but does anyone know if it's possible to make MP Audio Renderer work with madVR?
    I know it doesn't work outside of MP, probably because of close integration with DirectShowHelper or something like that, but in MP I can't get it to work with madVR. Is MP's madVR implementation missing something to work with MP Audio Renderer? Would it be difficult to add, or is the blocking part inside madVR and not MP?

The reason is I'm looking for an open source alternative to ReClock if 32-bit support in LAV Filters is abandoned in the future (there are regular comments from nevcairiel and other people recommending to move to 64-bit).
    I use ReClock to avoid headaches with display timings but also to do 25p speed down for movies on DVDs and TV, and I wouldn't want to give up either madVR, ReClock, or MP, but ReClock isn't open source so won't ever be ported to 64-bit.

Thanks if anyone has any info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom