Max timeshifting files (1 Viewer)

clahs

Portal Member
April 8, 2008
Ikast
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi,

After I update to 1.4.0, timeshifting can max be set to 100 files og size 1024Mbyte.

Is there a way to change this max. size of files, so timeshifting can works longer?

Bart Zorn

Portal Member
December 4, 2014
Home Country
Spain Spain
Well, 7 years later I stumbled on this same question, and nothing much seems to have changed.

Since I have plenty of disk space, I would like to know:
  • What is the maximum number of files?
  • What is the maximum file size?

When I change any of these two parameters, this seems not to be reflected in the time shifting info box, so I cannot see the (estimated) effect of my change.

The information in the wiki is not clear about this.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Bart

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    When I change any of these two parameters, this seems not to be reflected in the time shifting info box, so I cannot see the (estimated) effect of my change.
    The size of the timeshifting buffer is controlled by the values for Minimum and Filesize.

If you change these values using a keyboard, the values shown for the drive space needed and the maximum duration of timeshifting do not change until you move the focus to a different input field (either by using TAB_FORWARD or TAB_BACKWARD on the keyboard, or by using the mouse to click a different input field).

If you change these values by clicking the up-arrow or down-arrow in the spin control, the values for space-needed and timeshift-duration change immediately.

The value Maximum controls in some way for how long you can pause live TV (although its exact effect seems obscure).

I use these values:
    Minimum = 32 files​
    Maximum = 64 files​
    Filesize = 256 MByte​

which gives these limits:
    Drive space needed = 8448 MByte (i.e. around 8 GByte; my drive has 38 GByte free)​
    Max timeshift HD = 82 minutes​
    Max timeshift SD = 225 minutes​

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Screenshot shows my settings, working fine ;)
    During regular use I found that I can pause HD contents for more than 14 (!) hours and then continue to view without problems ;)
    I also think that the hdd space values shown in the lower area are irrelevant and false ;)

Screenshot 2020-11-07 133435.jpg

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I also think that the hdd space values shown in the lower area are irrelevant and false ;)
    The drive space values derive directly from the filesize and number of files, so I think that they are correct:

space_required = ( number_of_files * size_of_one_file ) + file_overhead_equal_to_one_file

What is definitely a very-approximate estimate is the maximum duration of timeshifting for SD and HD content, since this depends directly on the size of the datastream. The "Info OSD", and the "Tuning Details" panel both display the datastream rate for the programme on display, and the value can vary widely according to programme content (at least, it does in the UK!).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Bart Zorn

Portal Member
    December 4, 2014
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Yes, I would say that 100 files of 1024 MB yields something like 100 GB as a max value.

But your reporting gives me confidence that the values you enter are what you can rely on.

Thanks!

Bart

Users who are viewing this thread