Media Portal 1.1.0 BETA 1 and Windows Vista (1 Viewer)

TE5LA

Portal Pro
September 16, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
How did you install MP 1.1.0 Beta on Vista? When I try, it refuses. The installer says it's not compatible with Vista.

sa_ddam213

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2009
    Canterbury
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @TE5LA
    You need to install Service pack 1 & 2 ;-)

@sa_ddam213
    Have You tried using The "alternate shell" option in vista Group policy to use mediaportal as a shell insead of explorer.
    HTPC boots to welcome screen then mediaportal starts (no desktop ,no explorer) works flawlessly for me.

:D ! it's work also for me :) I think that some of my friends will be also happy...

ps for others users : in the readme .txt read "Type gpedit.msc"

Was that a typo in readme :oops:

moviebug

Portal Pro
    November 4, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks for this layout of your installation and configuration...technick!

I am looking to install media portal soon on my vista HTPC...and I always get nervous
    when so many bits of configuration are involved...so your experience and results
    seem to be a good basis to start with...

So I use vista with SP1 at the moment...does installing SP2 and any remaining fixes help?
    ie does it help with vista stability or speed?

I assume the way you have it set-up you never play external DVDs or Blu-ray?

I was particularly interested in your script/program for changing screen frequency..this is something
    I was wanting to do also...especially for 1080p/23.97Hz
    ...and for PAL stuff

I havent looked at the 1080 black and white skin...do you use info grabbers/scrapers at all?

What do you use for control...a remote or wireless mouse/keyboard?

that startup script of sa-ddam213...looks nice...
    I assume if you need to escape mediaportal it doesnt hinder that
    it just makes launching Mediaportal look smooth..ie a welcome screen.. then media portal...
    and its something I have been looking for!

sa-ddam213 >>what happens if you need to change the delay time?

sa_ddam213

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2009
    Canterbury
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My boot setup is for dedicated HTPC's only .If you exit mediaportal there will be nothing you would have to manually start explorer.exe

If you need a longer delay just message me and ill recompile with you desired time

moviebug

Portal Pro
    November 4, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks sa-ddam213..thats good to know....with regards the changing the delay time.

So if I exit mediaportal ..after launching using your script...it doesnt go back to... in my case... the Vista desktop??

sa_ddam213

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2009
    Canterbury
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If you exit MediaPortal there will only be a black screen, you can still use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to open task manager

Users who are viewing this thread