Media Portal being sold on ebay!! ?? (1 Viewer)

pieroxy

Portal Pro
November 21, 2005
Paris, France
Follow Up

It would seem like all of sigh's auctions have vanished from eBay. Has anyone been reporting something? Could he have possibly been banned?

A bunch of other are there however, from "rdlenterprises", "octagonconsulting" and "infoman_inc".

octagonconsulting is misrepresenting MP the same way sigh has been.
infoman_inc is a brand new user, misrepresenting MP again in the same way.
rdlenterprises looks like a regular eBay user, but again, it has just copy/pasted the exact same crap as sigh's.

So we're back to square one. As mentionned previously in this thread, reporting something legal (or at the very least questionnable) will get us nowhere.

We got a fair chance at discussing with this guy, but he only answers what he cherry picks from everyone and clearly decided no to address the issues raised. Which is his right.

As said before, if you don't want your favorite software to be sold, don't license it with the GPL. I guess there's nothing more to say here.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Re: Follow Up

pieroxy said:
    As said before, if you don't want your favorite software to be sold, don't license it with the GPL. I guess there's nothing more to say here.

I think it's great if people are taking the time to sell MP to people who don't have the bandwidth available to download it themselves.
    I just believe that they should link to the MP home page so people can see what they are getting before they buy it. It is a beta release and while it is very stable now, it is still along way from v1.0.
    I definately think theat the sellers shouldn't intentionally garble the name of the product to try and hide what it is. If "sigh" is so upfront and honest why doesn't he simply call it, oh, I don't know, maybe "Media Portal"? or am I stepping on his constitutional rights again by suggesting this?

pieroxy

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2005
    Paris, France

Marcusb said:
    I think it's great if people are taking the time to sell MP to people who don't have the bandwidth available to download it themselves.
    I just believe that they should link to the MP home page so people can see what they are getting before they buy it. It is a beta release and while it is very stable now, it is still along way from v1.0.
    I definately think theat the sellers shouldn't intentionally garble the name of the product to try and hide what it is. If "sigh" is so upfront and honest why doesn't he simply call it, oh, I don't know, maybe "Media Portal"? or am I stepping on his constitutional rights again by suggesting this?

While I think everyone agrees with you over here, it is a problem between sigh and his customers. Bad deals are being made every minute on ebay, and people get 'screwed' all the time. This is just one more time.

So I understand there is a feeling here because the guy is selling MP. But it should remain only that - a feeling.

From the Media Portal standpoint, there is nothing wrong there.

Borders sell a bunch of books by Victor Hugo. They are all in the public domain, and yet they don't link to the project gutenberg saying it can be downloaded legally for free.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne

pieroxy said:
    From the Media Portal standpoint, there is nothing wrong there.

Borders sell a bunch of books by Victor Hugo. They are all in the public domain, and yet they don't link to the project gutenberg saying it can be downloaded legally for free.

That's a bit of a stretch really. If Borders were selling books with pages missing and selling them as complete and finished novels then I'm sure fans of Victor Hugo would be a little annoyed that some people may not be getting the best experience.

I'm over this thread now. I think it's really just degenerated into a bit of trolling and I'm sure there are other threads where people can be genuinely helped (not "Sigh's* customers though, as he provides them with full support himself ;-) )

pieroxy

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2005
    Paris, France

Marcusb said:
    That's a bit of a stretch really. If Borders were selling books with pages missing and selling them as complete and finished novels then I'm sure fans of Victor Hugo would be a little annoyed that some people may not be getting the best experience.

I'm over this thread now. I think it's really just degenerated into a bit of trolling and I'm sure there are other threads where people can be genuinely helped (not "Sigh's* customers though, as he provides them with full support himself ;-) )

Agreed, that's a stretch. But sigh does not sell Media Portal, he sells Windows XP Media Portal Center Edition 2005.

It's a bit like if Borders sold Victor Hugo's novel "Les Miserables" skinned by half its pages. They could not sell it as being "Victor Hugo - Les Miserables", but they'd be perfectly right to sell it as:

Vicgo Hutor - Windows XP Les Miserables Center Edition 2005

That would be perfectly right. :D ;)

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

pieroxy said:
    It would seem like all of sigh's auctions have vanished from eBay. Has anyone been reporting something? Could he have possibly been banned?

A bunch of other are there however, from "rdlenterprises", "octagonconsulting" and "infoman_inc".

octagonconsulting is misrepresenting MP the same way sigh has been.
    infoman_inc is a brand new user, misrepresenting MP again in the same way.
    rdlenterprises looks like a regular eBay user, but again, it has just copy/pasted the exact same crap as sigh's.

So we're back to square one. As mentionned previously in this thread, reporting something legal (or at the very least questionnable) will get us nowhere.

We got a fair chance at discussing with this guy, but he only answers what he cherry picks from everyone and clearly decided no to address the issues raised. Which is his right.

Hi there,
    well, i've checked it out too. At the moment, two sellers, both selling for $10.00 or below, including S&H. I think, that's a reasonable price. It will not be enough to finance the new boat or a sports car :lol:
    Btw, i'm neither one of 'em. I will inform you, if i go in there.

pieroxy

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2005
    Paris, France

spachti said:
    I think, that's a reasonable price. It will not be enough to finance the new boat or a sports car :lol:

You've got it all wrong there buddy. This software is GPL, and so it is licensed to be sold and the FSF (author of the GPL) encourages people to make profit out of it.

Why would one be rejoiced that someone can't make a buck out of its activity is just beyond me. Are you going to be happy only when everyone will be poor? Is that your point? Is earning money so evil?

Well... I am tired of these discussions. Please read the GPL, maybe you will have a clue about what the authors of MP want with their software. I doubt it does align with what you think.

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Well, my opinion is, if you want to spend money on the program, donate it to the makers. If you want to support the idea of the GPL, sell it, but sell it to a reasonable price. What means, the CD, the time to copy it, and the S&H. If you really want to make money, WRITE YOUR OWN F*****G PROGRAM.

Users who are viewing this thread