Media Portal being sold on ebay!! ?? (1 Viewer)

sigh

Portal Member
September 6, 2005
Marcusb said:
Sigh, your ads are much more upfront now than they used to be but I figure that is mainly due to members of this forum sending emails to eBay and Microsoft. I can't remember the original wording, but it was along the lines of "Windows Media Centre Portal edition" and there was no fine print.

From what I understand, you aren't actually doing anything legally wrong, but in my view it is a big moral wrong. There are always people who don't mind doing something that is morally wrong, and if you can live with yourself then that's your choice.

Some people here seem a little too upset by this and I can see their reasons. It sucks that Frodo and the others do all this voluteer work and someone else can profit.

I know you will keep selling in this way, but we will also keep trying to educate people that the software is intended to be free.

As you can imagine my ads have been reported many times to ebay, however, they conform to eBay rules, so they always stay. I have personally decided to make changes to the ads because of the confusion people were having.

No, I'm not doing anything wrong. Nor am I doing anything morally wrong. Besides, what is moral? There is no real definition, it is an interpretation by one person.

Do I feel like I am doing something immoral? No, not at all!
I mean, would you feel immoral for expressing your FREEDOM of speech (if you live where such freedoms exist)? No, of course you wouldn't. The fact is, I do have the FREEDOM to use this software and distribute it for a cost and profit (even if they are razor thin or non existent). This is my FREEDOM and RIGHT! You can flame me in forums but you can't take away my FREEDOM. (sorry, getting braveheartish)

I think people here have no clue what the GPL and FSF are all about. This community (or at least the ones doing all the flamming) have no idea what the spirit of this software (MediaPortal) and other GPL software really is. It's the FREEDOM from closed source software. The FREEDOM to be able to have the source code and do what ever you want with it. Take it and modify it, use it in a business, use it as a base for other software development, or Box it up and sell it. This is your FREEDOM! I choose to enact my FREEDOM. Remember it's about FREE SPEECH not free beer. When the software license says I can sell this software, then I guess I can sell the software. The founding fathers of the FSF & GPL encourage people to sell and profit from GPL software!

Yes, many programmers have put in many hours of hard work on this program without pay! I'm fully aware of this, I'm a programmer myself! However, they obviously understand the spirit of the GPL and FSF. THIS IS NOT ABOUT MONEY! It's about FREEDOM! These guys put in countless hours programming because it's what they LOVE TO DO! The fulfillment comes when someone says, "WOW, that is a bad ass program! You made that?". If they were doing it for the money, they would not be writing GPL software.

What you fail to see is each person that buys a copy is a potential new member, a new face, a new member to the community. Who knows maybe that person will one day be a part of the MP community helping it's further development.

sigh

Portal Member
September 6, 2005
jazZman said:
Sigh,

Your Ad states:
This is the Full Version Software. It is not a trial, academic, upgrade or NFR copy. The software is BRAND NEW!

Last time i checked, MP was beta test , not the full the full version of anything

From your Ad
Windows XP, Media Portal Edition 2005
Media Portal Edition (MPE)

The true product name is Media Portal, if you are an honest merchant, and not mislead your buyers why change the name?

you state:
Besides, every person who buys a copy knows they are not buying Windows Media Center. Anyone who asks is told exactly what Media Portal is, and is not. And hell, nothing is holding them back from finding out on their own.

You know this is not true, I have read the feedback on your ebay profile. You have had more than a few people complain that they didn't get what they thought they were buying.

Your manipulation of the product name does stop your potential buyers from researching the product prior to purchase

Do you include a copies of the GPL and source code / or offer to supply the source code as stated in the terms of the GPL?

You say you want help with solutions, then help.
We can not stop you selling, but how about calling the product by it's correct name. Drop the MPE & Windows XP, Media Portal Edition 2005.

Do this and I'll stop emailing your potential buyers telling them they have been had.

Fail to do this, and you prove that you are the conman and thief that some of think you are.

the choice is yours my friend.

Cheers

Jamie

PS: originally you were advertising, 2 disks
What was on the second disk?

Jazzman, first off I'm here to discuss facts. You want to flame, go somewhere else.

Last time i checked, MP was beta test , not the full the full version of anything
I never said MP was in it's stable release. I'm making the difference of limited featured software and full featured software. Such as trials, academic, upgrade version, etc. Meaning this version of MP has all features enabled.

The true product name is Media Portal, if you are an honest merchant, and not mislead your buyers why change the name?
I can call it whatever I want to call it and I can make it have any name I want! It's GPL.

You know this is not true, I have read the feedback on your ebay profile. You have had more than a few people complain that they didn't get what they thought they were buying.
Perhaps a few, but those are the ones who never said "Hey, I was confused, I thought this was something else!". I have refunded many purchases for this reason! Besides, less than 20 Neg FB out of over 2000, That's damn good!

Your manipulation of the product name does stop your potential buyers from researching the product prior to purchase
Can you not tell the core words there are Media Portal? Even so, gogle "Media Portal Edition 2005" Media Portal website is in the TOP 3!

Do you include a copies of the GPL and source code / or offer to supply the source code as stated in the terms of the GPL?
Yes, I do! Not only that, but I include some printed material and the complete manual! Even email support!

You say you want help with solutions, then help.
We can not stop you selling, but how about calling the product by it's correct name. Drop the MPE & Windows XP, Media Portal Edition 2005.
Well, someone with some authority in this community should make communication with me if they have problems with my actions. I'm more than willing to work out something that works for everyone. Hell, I could even help make it that much more harder for people to sell MP. However, know one wants to work towards a resolution, they just want to act like 12 year olds and call people name and do D.O.S. attacks on eBay. In short not only break eBay rules, but breaking US Federal Law. People go to jail when they cost business money due to illegal activity such as D.O.S. attacks this includes yours and others actions on eBay. However, I really care less because it does nothing, people still buy the software, and will continue to do so. BECAUSE IT'S GREAT SOFTWARE!!!!! Now if the MP community wants this to change, then it must be expressed in a positive constructive manner!

Do this and I'll stop emailing your potential buyers telling them they have been had.

Fail to do this, and you prove that you are the conman and thief that some of think you are.

the choice is yours my friend.
Extortion, Blackmail! Wow, what a great community we have here! The ONLY OpenSource community that hates and persecutes it's own beliefs and members!

PS: originally you were advertising, 2 disks
What was on the second disk?
Disk 1 contained Autorun files, GPL and MP install files
Disk 2 contained Autorun files, GPL, Source Code, Manual and Acrobat reader.
They have now been compiled into one CD.

P.s.
To anyone who thinks I'm getting rich or even making decent money, you obviously have not sold CDs on eBay. If you think I'm doing so well, then you do it!

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
After reading the several replies from this idiot, it's very safe to say that he is completely in his own little, delusional world where he can do no wrong, no matter what he does.

Pathetic!

Why not donate some of your "hard earned" dollars to the creators of Media Portal? I'm sure that act of kindness is well above you though.

Justify your morals however you want, but a large portion of the people here know that what you're doing may be legal, it certainly isn't moral and clearly demonstrates your character.

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
As I said.....this yutz thinks he's doing no wrong, even associating Microsoft products with Media Portal.....but again, he's right, and we're all wrong! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

sigh

Portal Member
September 6, 2005
Khris said:
After reading the several replies from this idiot, it's very safe to say that he is completely in his own little, delusional world where he can do no wrong, no matter what he does.

Pathetic!

Why not donate some of your "hard earned" dollars to the creators of Media Portal? I'm sure that act of kindness is well above you though.

Justify your morals however you want, but a large portion of the people here know that what you're doing may be legal, it certainly isn't moral and clearly demonstrates your character.

If calling me a bad person makes you sleep better, fine by me! I'm the one here being open and trying to bring a resolution. You however, offer nothing of any value.

Your behavior speaks for itself.

sigh

Portal Member
September 6, 2005
Khris said:
As I said.....this yutz thinks he's doing no wrong, even associating Microsoft products with Media Portal.....but again, he's right, and we're all wrong! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Then explain yourself!

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    I'm the one here being open and trying to bring a resolution.

Thats odd I dont read any compromise anywhere. Your still representing the software wrong and still charging for something you dont own. I wont join in on the flamefest but you obviously dont have any morals. If anyone deserves the money, its the developers who are putting hard work into the software. While I specifically dont know who you are, there are others like you in my country who do this too. Selling the software for obvious gain (eg. $25 for 1 $0.25 CD and $3.80 of postage) just isnt right.

sigh

Portal Member
    September 6, 2005
    Callifo said:
    I'm the one here being open and trying to bring a resolution.

Thats odd I dont read any compromise anywhere. Your still representing the software wrong and still charging for something you dont own. I wont join in on the flamefest but you obviously dont have any morals. If anyone deserves the money, its the developers who are putting hard work into the software. While I specifically dont know who you are, there are others like you in my country who do this too. Selling the software for obvious gain (eg. $25 for 1 $0.25 CD and $3.80 of postage) just isnt right.

Your still representing the software wrong and still charging for something you dont own.
    Actually, I do own it and I got the software license to prove it!

Shall the follow article be forever ingrained in those people's heads who thinks selling GPL software (that means MP) is wrong: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

Now after reading the article you can see the FSF clearly encourage such ventures, the VERY people who created the VERY software license MP uses.

So, who do I listen to? The guy who knows jack about OpenSource Software or the very creators of OpenSource Software License. I think the latter!

So you are wrong, I do own this software and I do have the right to sell it for a profit (if it were possible and your projections and material cost, shipping are way off, also not including other fee's associated with selling)

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Well, since our Mr. Knowitall is such a clever boy, he has achived at least ONE goal. He's pissed me off. What means, i can afford, to sell the software for, let's say, one dollar, or whatever will cover my cost on Ebay.
    Well, young man, let's see, who has more balls, you or me. We have freedom of speech, right? And the right to the total capitalism, right also? So, we will have some fun together.

Edit:
    Three questions for the pro's here:
    1. is this thing ok with you?
    2. can i use your screen shots?
    3. can i give out the URL from the page?
    4. can i name the team, in case Ebay will come with questions?

Well, these were actually 4 questions, but who the hell cares anyway??? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread