Media Portal web site problems? (1 Viewer)

alexeix

Portal Pro
January 28, 2005
UK
Hi,

I've been unable to access the Media Portal web site several times for lengthy periods, over the last few days.

Have there been problems? Anyone else experienced any issues?

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    no known problems, the webserver(s) is(are) running fine. Statusmonitor doesnt show anything. Maybe a routing issue somewhere? Do you have any tracert from these periods?

alexeix

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2005
    UK
    Yes, I think this is a problem with the DNS at my ISP. I asked friends to check the site when I couln't access it and they COULD.

I can access it using the same laptop, while I'm at work.

My ISP says they don't block anything, so they don't know what the problem is. However, I didn't have any problems until a couple of weeks ago, when I changed ISP...

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    please open a DOS-Box next time and try
    "tracert team-mediaportal.com"

This will show you where the routing stops. Please contact your ISP again with that log.

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    your ISP isn't plusnet by any chance ?

plusnet have had intermittant DNS issues for quite a while.

i usually find doing an "ipconfig /flushdns" will get it going again.

alexeix

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2005
    UK
    No, my new ISP is Orange. Thanks for the tip, but ipconfig .flushdns didn't do anything.

As you can see though, I'm back on team-mediaportal.com! The Orange support team suggested turning off NAT. I did this and totally lost my internet connection (not unexpectedly), however, when I turned it back on, I was able to get on to team-mediaportal.com.

This could of course be a coincidence and this might just be one of the times when I can access the site, so time will tell...

'high' - thanks for the suggestion about running tracert.

alexeix

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2005
    UK
    I spoke too soon, but I think I'm finally getting somewhere...

I noticed that after switching off NAT on the router, then switching it back on again, I could access https://www.team-mediaportal.com on my XP DESKTOP - but not on my VISTA LAPTOP.

AND, when I went back to my PC, after the laptop was connected to the wireless network, I could no longer get onto the site from my desktop machine either.

So it looks like the Vista laptop may be causing the problem, but I'm not technical enough to know what it might be doing to the router.

I guess maybe my Netgear DG834GT router may not be compatible with Vista, since I can access the site from my wireless network at work.

At least I know what to do to access Media Portal at home now...!
    Can any networking wizards offer any advice about this?
    Thanks.

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Two things you might want to try:

- Use http://proxify.com to access the site. (I do this at work where the provider blocks sites though they say they don't.)
    - Use an http://opendns.org DNS instead of your provider's. (I use this at home since it seems our provider's DNS crashes or kicks me out for a day when I use Shareaza.)

Showing the results of tracert www.team-medialportal.com on the forum will help us to pinpoint your problem.

alexeix

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2005
    UK
    I tried a proxy server web site and I was able to access Team-mediaportal.com, but that only proved that the site was up (which I already knew).

Here's the tracert log, but I'm 99% sure that my Netgear router is cocking up when Vista connects to it.

I have no idea why, but I'll just have to stick to my desktop machine at home, until (IF) Netgear produce updated firmware.

Shame, since I've only recently sorted out other problems I had with my Netgear equipment (caused by their drivers)...

Tracing route to team-mediaportal.com [213.202.245.208]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 27 ms 24 ms 79 ms ge0-1.lns5-c4.brm.planet.net.uk [62.25.204.202]

3 * 26 ms 25 ms ge5-2.pbr-1.brm.as5388.net [62.25.204.194]
    4 31 ms 115 ms 101 ms 195.92.55.124
    5 94 ms 101 ms 101 ms 195.92.55.103
    6 96 ms 203 ms 204 ms pos0-0.ber-1.r18.telh.as5388.net [195.92.55.158]

7 110 ms 101 ms 101 ms so-6-0-0-dcr2.lnd.cw.net [195.10.12.133]
    8 131 ms 101 ms 101 ms ge-5-0-0-dcr1.lnd.cw.net [195.2.9.89]
    9 121 ms 101 ms 101 ms so-0-0-0-dcr2.par.cw.net [195.2.10.137]
    10 126 ms 101 ms 101 ms as0-dcr1.par.cw.net [195.2.10.161]