[confirm] MediaPortal hibernates during recording (1 Viewer)

alexirion

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 8, 2010
    St. Georgen im Schwarzwald
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Manually chosing Hibernate from the MediaPortal menu hibernates the system, also when there is currently a recording happening. This was not the case with earlier versions.

Attachments

• log_tvserver.zip
      1.1 MB

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Manually chosing Hibernate from the MediaPortal menu hibernates the system, also when there is currently a recording happening. This was not the case with earlier versions.
    Manual Hibernate cannot be prevented (other than manual sleep requests). This is a Windows "feature" and you cannot do anything against it. So I would say this is no bug.

Michael

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have this problem with Windows Media Center. For various reasons, sleep does not work too well on my HTPC, but hibernation works much better. If I set the power button on the remote control to cause hibernation, I have the same problem that you do -- it terminates immediately any recording that may be taking place. I circumvent this by not manually hibernating the system. Instead I set the hibernation timeout to a short period in the power plan. Then, when I switch the TV off, after the hibernation timeout has expired, Windows hibernates the system (if it is not recording a programme).

Without any extra software, you could set the hibernation timeout to something like 15 minutes. Then your HTPC will hibernate 15 minutes after you have switched off your TV (provided that it is not recording a programme).

As I am a bit of a cheapskate, I did not like the HTPC running for 15 minutes unnecessarily, so I use a program that monitors the state of the TV and sets the hibernation timeout to 2 hours if the TV is on, and to 10 seconds if the TV is off. So when I switch the TV off, the HTPC hibernates within about 20 seconds (if it is not recording).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Manual Hibernate cannot be prevented (other than manual sleep requests). This is a Windows "feature" and you cannot do anything against it. So I would say this is no bug.

Michael

Presumably selecting this from MediaPortal then calls the system to hibernate, so we should in principle have an opportunity to check for recordings and give the user a chance to cancel?

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Michael

Presumably selecting this from MediaPortal then calls the system to hibernate, so we should in principle have an opportunity to check for recordings and give the user a chance to cancel?
    This would only work for recordings and not for other tvserver activities configured in PowerScheduler and it would not prevent stopping the PC with the remote (depending on the type of remote) or power button. But it would be better than nothing.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread