MP 1.21 Volume OSD for 1039 MCE remote and MCE keyboard not working (3 Viewers)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    At this point I don't think that there is a solution that will work for everyone, and I suspect that users of the CEC plugin are in the minority. :( So I think that the default "Centarea HID" config file should work in the common case, i.e. include the changes that I outlined previously. However, I can add some words to the TXT file explaining how to modify the config file for use with the CEC plugin. The user can do this easily for themselves. But does anyone ever read the TXT file? :eek:
    Agreed,;) and regarding the TXT file though it would be also good to have a section in the Wiki on installing and using the Ortek and your .ahk/Centarea HId .xml. I would be happy to do that if you don't have the time, let me know.:) Then at least you can tell people to RTFM in the event of install questions.:p

So do we have a new "Centarea HID" config file available to include in MP 1.22 pre-release builds?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    So do we have a new "Centarea HID" config file available to include in MP 1.22 pre-release builds?
    I think that the situation is this:

(1) The MP1 package includes a default "Centarea HID.xml" file that resides somewhere in "Program Files". This is the config file that is used to provide the initial definitions if the user selects the "Sceneo" tab in "Remotes and Input Devices" in "MP Config", and the user has not installed my "Centarea HID" support pack in "ProgramData".

This config file has never been updated. Consequently I believe that keyboard input won't work (stopped working when Stephane introduced "General HID" support"), and the volume and mute buttons will misbehave in MP 1.22 as discussed previously in this thread.

(2) My "Centarea HID" support pack is an attachment in one of the Ortek threads, and includes an AutoHotKey script to improve usability and circumvent some of the quirks of the Ortek. This is the config file that I was intending to change to avoid the volume/mute misbehaviour.

This config file includes the fixes that make the keyboard work. However, I changed the button codes of several of the buttons in order to allow the AutoHotKey script to provide better usability. So this version of the config file is not a straight replacement for the default one included with MP1.

(3) The support for the Ortek included with MP1 ought to work straight out-of-the-box, without requiring any additional software (such as AutoHotKey). So I think that what should be provided with MP 1.22 is a config file that:

(a) includes the keyboard fixes,
    (b) includes the volume and mute fixes,
    (c) includes some changed button actions to more-closely match WMC,
    (d) excludes the button-code changes (these pre-req AutoHotKey)
    (e) excludes the usability improvements (these pre-req AutoHotKey).

If you agree with this, I will prepare a revised default "Centarea HID.xml" for inclusion with MP 1.22 (it may be several days before I can complete this).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    your proposed change to the Ortek config file will impact users of the CEC Remote plugin ... With the Ortek volume controls set to invalid the MP and Windows volume OSDs change as does the volume but there is not longer control over the AVR volume.:(.
    I have been mulling this over, and I think that @joecrow may have a problem. :(

With MP 1.21f as shipped, the Ortek changes the volume correctly (one button-press == 2% on the volume slider in the Mixer window), but the OSD and mute icon do not appear, and the MCE RC6 remote does not change the volume at all on my system. The MP 1.21f debug log contains less info than @Owlsroost's changed files, so it is not obvious what is occurring with respect to the sound mixer.

With MP 1.21f + @Owlsroost's changed files, but with the Ortek config unchanged, the MP log looks as though the volume level is changed twice -- once by MP and again by Windows. The solution that I proposed was to remove the MP volume change, but this stops the CEC plugin working (presumably because the CEC plugin intercepts the MP volume change and redirects it to CEC).

If @joecrow uses MP 1.21f + @Owlsroost's changed files with the Ortek config unchanged, the CEC plugin will receive the MP volume change, but I think that Windows may also change the volume :eek:, which I suspect is not what is wanted. I don't actually know how these different controls interact, so this is only a guess. o_O

@joecrow -- have you tested @Owlsroost's changes both with and without the Ortek changes? If you have not, you should test the changes as soon as possible. Note: you should download and install all of the successive fixes provided by @Owlsroost, as the later zip files do not contain all of the changed files included in the earlier zip files.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    have you tested @Owlsroost's changes both with and without the Ortek changes? If you have not, you should test the changes as soon as possible. Note: you should download and install all of the successive fixes provided by @Owlsroost, as the later zip files do not contain all of the changed files included in the earlier zip files.

@CyberSimian I had understood the the fixes were for the separate Win 7 piece of this code, I'm on Win 10, so I had assumed their would not be any problem with the mods. Is that false? Granted there could be an issue with CEC plugin for Win 7 users, can you test, from memory you should only need to install the plugin and enable the setting, (you do not actually need a CEC HDMI). I am also not sure how the CEC plugin handles the Windows volume change, it looks like (from the volume OSD) that it resets it to 100% on each key press.:unsure:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I had understood the the fixes were for the separate Win 7 piece of this code

For the changes I've made, correct (except that it actually handles Vista/7/8, not just Win 7) - the Windows 10 'sound mixer' is handled by separate code in MP.

I am also not sure how the CEC plugin handles the Windows volume change, it looks like (from the volume OSD) that it resets it to 100% on each key press

I had a quick look at the CEC plugin code a few days ago - yes, that appears to be what it does, via MP's 'VolumeHandler' code - see below (from tuomas-k/CECRemote ):

Code:
            void GUIWindowManager_OnNewAction(MediaPortal.GUI.Library.Action action)
            {
              switch (action.wID)
              {
                case MediaPortal.GUI.Library.Action.ActionType.ACTION_VOLUME_UP:
                  _client.VolumeUp();
                  MediaPortal.Player.VolumeHandler.Instance.Volume = MediaPortal.Player.VolumeHandler.Instance.Maximum;
                  break;
                case MediaPortal.GUI.Library.Action.ActionType.ACTION_VOLUME_DOWN:
                  _client.VolumeDown();
                  MediaPortal.Player.VolumeHandler.Instance.Volume = MediaPortal.Player.VolumeHandler.Instance.Maximum;
                  break;
                case MediaPortal.GUI.Library.Action.ActionType.ACTION_VOLUME_MUTE:
                  _client.VolumeMute();
                  MediaPortal.Player.VolumeHandler.Instance.IsMuted = false;
                  break;
                default:
                  break;
              }
            }

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I had understood the the fixes were for the separate Win 7 piece of this code, I'm on Win 10, so I had assumed there would not be any problem with the mods.
    I had forgotten that these fixes are for Win 7/8/Vista, and not needed for Win 10 o_O. I will try the plugin and see if any conclusions can be drawn about its behaviour with the fixes.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Granted there could be an issue with CEC plugin for Win 7 users, can you test, from memory you should only need to install the plugin and enable the setting, (you do not actually need a CEC HDMI).
    I have just tried installing the "CEC Remote" plugin on my test system that is MP 1.21f + volume OSD fixes, but I got this:

cec_error.jpg

I was attempting to install version 0.9.7. Is that the wrong version?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I was attempting to install version 0.9.7. Is that the wrong version?

No that is the correct one. I have not attempted to install it on 1.21f, it was still functional after the update from 1.20 and most likely several previous versions. It is shown as installed in the MP Extension Manager is that where you got it from?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    It is shown as installed in the MP Extension Manager is that where you got it from?
    I downloaded the CECRemote MPE1 file from here:

CECRemote

and then invoked that from a command window with administrator privileges. The install proceeded without problem. It was when I tried to start "MP Config" to set the config options for CECRemote that the error shown previously occurred, and when I looked at the list of extensions in "MP Config", CECRemote was not listed (which is consistent with the error pop-up).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom