MP crashes on resume after long/overnight sleep (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry I meant Thursday morning or evening my time.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sorry, doesn't look like those times will work. Thursday your time => Friday my time, and I'm expecting to work long hours this Friday (and Saturday).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Personally I don't feel that we need to take this private. I'm not sharing private info, and you can see from the thread view count that people are following the progress (even if they're not replying). Of course I'll PM so we can share TeamViewer details, but aside from that, I prefer to keep everything else completely in the open. Nothing to hide.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'll be available for the next 3 or 4 hours before I go to bed. Just watching a bit of TV. All we need is 5 minutes...

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    lol - just thinking that this wasn't really relevant to the problem, not the privacy issues...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thought you had gone. PM sent.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    (Response to private replies from joecrow after I showed him how to attach IDA...)

It seems that you didn't understand what I showed you.
    Before I left I asked whether you wanted me to restart MP and attach the debugger again for you, but you didn't respond.
    :(

Please read carefully...

MP is no longer in focus, no control or even mouse pointer
    This means MP is "paused" and the debugger has control.

As I tried to show you, when you attach a debugger - IDA in this case - the debugger normally sits in the background waiting for exceptions/errors to occur. When an exception/error occurs, the debugger takes control. The attached program - MP in this case - will become unusable until you deal with the exception/error in the debugger.

..can I kill the IDA session and restart it without loosing your setup?
    No... but I showed you how to attach IDA. Hopefully you remember.

Oh, had to reboot to clear the MP lockup.
    Reboot was unnecessary. IDA had control because an exception/error occurred. All you had to do was deal with the exception in IDA (pass to program) and MP would have unlocked. I showed you how to do this. :(

By the way, "lockup" is exactly what you should expect to see when MP crashes on resume with IDA attached. That's when I need to be able to connect and gather information. If you reboot, the information will be lost. So in general: please don't reboot again when you think MP is locked.

Sorry but restarting IDA did not reattach the debugger with MP...
    That's expected. You have to restart and reattach IDA each time you restart MP.

...but need an auto process.
    There's no auto process.

I do a weekly reboot and Win updates etc so if it does not survive that then with a failure rate in weeks I don't see it as practical:(.
    If you expected me to connect, attach/configure IDA, and then leave you to use MP until the crash happened then your expectations were not realistic. Maybe that's partially my fault for not explaining all of this in such detail earlier. In my defence, I honestly didn't think you'd have such trouble using IDA if I showed you how to do it.

It's not possible to attach/configure IDA and have it "survive" MP restarts let alone Windows restarts.

I connected to show you how to use IDA [a little!] yourself, not to do everything for you.

It comes down to this: if you want a solution for the problem, you're going to have to learn a few things about IDA. I already tried to show you once. I'm willing to show you again. However, if you're not willing to learn, there's nothing I can do... and of course, there'll be no solution to the crash on resume.

I was able to reattach the debugger but MP immediately locks up...
    Again, this is 100% expected and normal for default IDA config.
    It's exactly what happened when I attached IDA in the TeamViewer session.

When you attach a debugger, it's normal for the debugger to get control and the program (MP in this case) to be "paused". All you have to do to give the control back to MP is press the "play" button in the top left corner of IDA. I know I explained that to you. Maybe you didn't understand.

I can't use MP with IDA running so I'm leaving it closed not sure where to go from here.
    Where we go from here is completely up to you.

It is possible to use MP with IDA running... but you'll have to learn how. I tried to show you once. As I said above: I'm willing to try to show you again. However, there's no point if you aren't willing to try again.

IDA is very powerful and complicated. However you only need to know minimal information in order to be able to use it effectively. I feel like I showed you everything that you needed to see/know during our 5 minute TeamViewer session. It's essentially 3 things:
    1. How to attach IDA to MP.
    Select: Debugger -> Attach -> Local Windows debugger => select MediaPortal.exe -> click OK => click the play button in the top left corner.

2. How to give control back to MP when an error/exception occurs.
    This one is more difficult for me to give instructions because I use a different version of IDA (=> different dialogs/buttons/text).
    In general, if an error/exception - especially "managed" ones...
    upload_2017-5-31_11-17-18.png

Click OK.
    Click the play button in the top left corner.
    upload_2017-5-31_11-18-3.png

Click "change exception definition".

upload_2017-5-31_11-19-5.png

Configure the settings as shown above, then click OK, and "yes (pass to app)".

Now MP is "unlocked".

I repeat: the dialogs and text will be slightly different for you, but the principle is the same.

3. How to capture the information needed after the target error (ie. crash on resume in this case) has occurred.
    Again, this is more difficult for me to give instructions because of the difference in IDA versions.
    I need screenshots of the stack trace (try pressing CTRL + ALT + S after the exception/error - hopefully that will bring it up) and modules list.

I can't do any better than this.

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-31_11-18-39.png
      upload_2017-5-31_11-18-39.png
      24.5 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom