[MP1-4578] Crashes after standby. (2 Viewers)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is it also reproducible in case WorldWeather is not installed/deactivated?
    Deactivation of WorldWeather didn't change anything (that was one of the first things that I checked). I have now uninstalled it, but have not been in "deep" standby yet. With reference to this: putting system into standby and waking it up shortly after works. It is only after some longer time that the resume doesn't work anymore. Windows energy settings incompatibilities with MePo?
    I uninstalled WorldWeather, then let system go into Standby and took a look at the PC this morning: same black rectangular (where the MePo screen) should be on top of the windows desktop --> system hangs. So whatever it is for my system, it has nothing to do with WorldWeather. I will test Standby without MediaPortal running. If the PC then resumes normally, the problem is related to MediaPortal.

Thorough testing is taking longer because this is the productive system in the living that is giving me headaches, and there is always somebody who wants to watch TV...

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You can use a tool (SendMessage) to put MediaPortal in a 'sleep' state without having to really let your entire PC sleep.
    Usage:
    Start MP and the tool. Drag the 'crosshair' from the tool on the MP interface. This will set the Window ID
    'Message' needs to be defined with 'WM_POWERBROADCAST'
    WPARAM: you set this to PBT_APMSUSPEND to put it to sleep, and for wakeup you use the PBT_APMRESUMEAUTOMATIC parameter. after setting the correct parameter, you hit the 'SendMessage' button and MP should be 'frozen' (since it thinks the PC is in S3). This way you could let MP idle on your computer, continue your work while still testing ;)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You can use a tool (SendMessage) to put MediaPortal in a 'sleep' state without having to really let your entire PC sleep.
    That sounds like a misunderstanding: When I say that the system is used as "productive", I mean that it is exclusively used as a Media Center, however, quite intensively, and I cannot just walk in and tell the family that I want to quickly test something.

In the next step I want to verify if the standard Windows system (no active MePo) correctly resumes from standby. If it does, then there is evidence that the problem is related to MePo. If system still hangs then I know that I need to look elsewhere. The clean system worked correctly though when I set it up some 3-4 months ago.

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That sounds like a misunderstanding: When I say that the system is used as "productive", I mean that it is exclusively used as a Media Center, however, quzite intensively, an I cannot just walk in and tell the family that I want to quickly test something.
    My bad, seemed like i was referring to your post, but was mentioned as a (general) tool for those that are investigating this issue. ;)

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Please try to remove common.time.xml from the installation folder of Titan (C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\skin\Titan

Now try to reproduce the bug. This is the file that shows the weather and time information in basichome.

Will do that later, i'm quite sure this can be the problem file since this was the only .xml already available before I installed worldweather titan skin files from the link earlier.

Hi, I removed the common.time.xml from my titan skin folder and tested mediaportal. But it still completely freezes sometimes after standby. So it seems this file isn't the cause of the crashes.

Another thing is, as long as I disable worldweather in mediaportal configuration there is no crash. I've been running mediaportal with worldweather disabled since last week for most of the time and when it's disabled it never crashes. But as soon as I enable it, mediaportal will crash atleast 1 out of 3 times after wake up from standby.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In the next step I want to verify if the standard Windows system (no active MePo) correctly resumes from standby.
    OK, it does => MePo does have an issue on my system. No entry is made in the MePo logs though when resuming, yet the system definitely hangs until I use the Win key to bring up the system menu and call the configuration to kill Mediaportal.exe.

What next?

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I think it get stay on standby mode :)
    So maybe you can reproduce with the tool or with the tool when MP is freezed to send an APM_RESUME and/or APM_RESUME Automatic message to see if it unfreeze MP.

Normally on wake, MP should receive two above message but maybe in your case it receive handle one :)

You can try with the tool only :

1- APM-Suspend message
    2- APM_RESUME message (MP should be freezed)
    3- APM_RESUME Automatic message

Maybe you can re-order 2 and 3 message but i'm pretty sure that i have see that when testing (faking) a standby and resume, MP now need to get '2 and 3' or '3 and 2' message otherwise it get stuck :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You can try with the tool only :

1- APM-Suspend message
    2- APM_RESUME message (MP should be freezed)
    3- APM_RESUME Automatic message

Maybe you can re-order 2 and 3 message but i'm pretty sure that i have see that when testing (faking) a standby and resume, MP now need to get '2 and 3' or '3 and 2' message otherwise it get stuck :)
    Just did it: MP freezes -and then doesn't wake up anymore. After issuing commands 1, 2 and 3 the MePo window is not accepting any clicks or key presses.

Attachments

• MediaPortal.zip
      18.9 KB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    It seems :
    2014-10-07 17:27:22,604] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_POWERBROADCAST (PBT_APMSUSPEND)
    [2014-10-07 17:27:22,604] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: Suspending operation
    [2014-10-07 17:27:36,959] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_POWERBROADCAST (PBT_APMRESUMEAUTOMATIC)
    [2014-10-07 17:27:36,959] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: Delay resuming operation for 5 secs
    [2014-10-07 17:27:47,119] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_POWERBROADCAST (PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND)
    [2014-10-07 17:27:47,119] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: OnPowerBroadcast - wait for ResumeAutomatic / ResumeDelayed message

That PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND was not handled and MP wait for another ResumeAutomatic -> MP stay freezed and can stay in little windows or not but still freezed.

Maybe you need to send again PBT_APMRESUMEAUTOMATIC wait few sec and send PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND, it should unfreeze MP.

What would be nice after the fake test, is to test on real resume and send 2 and 3 or 3 and 2 or 3 / 3 and 2 / 2.

For sure MP should unfreeze :)

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Please try to remove common.time.xml from the installation folder of Titan (C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\skin\Titan

Now try to reproduce the bug. This is the file that shows the weather and time information in basichome.

Will do that later, i'm quite sure this can be the problem file since this was the only .xml already available before I installed worldweather titan skin files from the link earlier.

Hi, I removed the common.time.xml from my titan skin folder and tested mediaportal. But it still completely freezes sometimes after standby. So it seems this file isn't the cause of the crashes.

Another thing is, as long as I disable worldweather in mediaportal configuration there is no crash. I've been running mediaportal with worldweather disabled since last week for most of the time and when it's disabled it never crashes. But as soon as I enable it, mediaportal will crash atleast 1 out of 3 times after wake up from standby.

Can you try these files (copy them into the Titan skin folder, make sure you create a back-up of the original files) and see if the problem goes away. This is taking the weather animation away from the home screen, this worked for me (see post on page 8 of this thread).

Attachments

• common.time.xml
      2.2 KB
    • common.time.settings.xml
      1 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom